Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #76

Send some of that rain this way!! We are running at something like 87 days without rain here in this part of the world. I got the Hawk up to about 71 mph on a slight downhill, and it seems to be loosening up a little more each time I ride it. I'm going to see some friends out at the local airport tonight. I may go crazy and top up the tank with some 100LL avgas. That ought to be interesting. The increased octane and cylinder pressure should be the last step to breaking in the engine and getting all the moving parts working together properly. Haven't decided yet...

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #77

Emerikol

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #78

How about you guys send some of the warm our way, it barely touched 30 yesterday and in the mid to low 20's all day today (wind chill factor not included)... BURRR!!!!

Like a few others say, If all else fails... go the "South Dakota" route to get plates/tags

Congrats so far with getting it registered in your state

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:04 AM   #79

I'm glad it worked out for you! Awesome. Man I am so tempted to buy a Hawk instead of the Brozz.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #80

Letsride, If you want to meet up so you can test ride a Hawk, let me know. I don't think that you'll be able to find a better deal out there than the Hawk. I'm into it for less than $1,700, and that includes the price of the bike and all the mods. I'm really happy with the bike, and happier still I was able to get it registered. It's definitely a very capable machine. I'll be in town for the next couple of weeks before I have to travel again for work, give me a shout if you can make it out this way and we'll set up a ride.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
To the potential fallout if things had gone the other way: I was ready to fight like I was the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark, and Brother, it's starting to rain! I would have absolutely been a household name if things had gone Tango-Uniform! I'll sit back and enjoy some beer and pizza as I wait for everyone's responses to roll in.
That started my Saturday with a good belly laugh!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #82

Quote:
I may go crazy and top up the tank with some 100LL avgas.
I think the only result will be that it is hard to start.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #83

The Avgas Experiment

Weldandgrind; The results are in, the Avgas doesn't do much. It seems to lose less speed up the hills, but that's really about it. The exhaust only glowed a little red down on the back side of the collector/expansion area, and a bit right up near the mounting studs. I can't say if this is any different than a stock exhaust, since tonight is the first time I rode it any real distance after dark. I know the whole exhaust on the DR gets pretty red (at least, it did before I wrapped it with exhaust wrap), especially with the high octane juice. I'm glad I was able to give you a hearty chuckle with my thread comments. In the meantime, I have to figure out how to fix the rear brake switch. It seems the top adjusting nut has skipped threads, and now the switch is all sorts of loose and caddywampus. I'll break everything down and see what kind of magic I can conjure up. Have a great night, everyone.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #84

Quote:
Letsride, If you want to meet up so you can test ride a Hawk, let me know
Thank you! That is a very kind and generous offer. When I get done with duty down here in Chas and can get some free time, I'll give ya a shout. I NEED to finally go to Cabelas in Augusta for the first time anyway!

Old 11-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #85

I fill the bikes that won't be used over the winter with 100LL and can't say I notice any difference other than a whiteish yellow exhaust tip.

Rear brake light switches are generic and available on Ebay for a buck or two.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #86

Mudflap; I'm confused. A bike that won't be used, what's that? The mere thought of a bike sitting unloved in a corner somewhere is a travesty! As if someone would actually let a bike sit unused for any reason at all! Seriously though, I run 100LL in my DR650 pretty regularly, and it doesn't seem to have done any damage yet. The engines are low enough compression that I don't think they run any hotter, or work any harder to complete the combustion cycle. On the whole, I run QT brand gasoline, and pay the few extra cents per gallon for premium. I probably don't need to run premium, but for the extra $0.40 per gallon, I think of it as cheap insurance. So far the Hawk has been a mountain of fun. My wife mentioned something about a divorce if I took the bike(s) out again this weekend, but I couldn't really hear her over the thumper exhaust blast... I'm sure it will be fine when I get back home.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #87

Have 5 bikes but can only haul 2 to Az for the winter. Those 2 get ridden every day.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #88

Quote:
My wife mentioned something about a divorce if I took the bike(s) out again this weekend, but I couldn't really hear her over the thumper exhaust blast... I'm sure it will be fine when I get back home.
Lol too funny. Well not so funny. I kind of got the same lip Saturday morning while filing up and going over the Hawk before I took a ride. I only had to cut down a few small pecan trees that were growing wild around my shed. No problem, I get the chain saw out, cut down 3 little trees and pick the chain saw up. can't take more than an hour. Well when I bent over to pick up the cut up trees to put to the trash I manage to throw my back out of whack. I spent the rest of the day and most of Sunday laid up. Late Sunday evening I got up even though my back hurt like hell and went out and took a short 10 mile ride. Either I'm Crazy or just a dedicated Hawk rider.
Now about the Avgas. I knew that wouldn't make a difference. These engines are tuned and set to run 90 octane ( more like 87) unless you can advance the timing you are just wasting money. One of my hobbies was drag racing and tuning GM LS engines. I have about 15 years experience in tuning the PCM's. I had a 6,300 pound 3/4 Chevy with a 6.0 that I stuck a turbo on and did all the tuning myself. I took a stock truck that barely ran a 1/4 mile in 18 seconds and after putting the turbo and tuning had it running mid to lower 13's. For the street I had it tuned for 91 octane and for the track I had it tuned for C12. There is a big difference in timing and fuel mixture from 91 to the C12. Now if I could find a way to program the CDI. I have access to a motorcycle dyno.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #89

Me and my Pops used to run avgas in a 413 Wedge Race motor powering a 70 Challenger down the 660, mainly due to the lead content making it easier on the valve seats. We quit when we repowered with a stroked 440, we then got our fuel from the service station who installed a VP pump. MAN does that stuff smell good! I mainly just run 87 octane ethanol free (Sunoco has the pump) in all my Carbureted toys. My old D150 with the leaning tower of power HATES the E10 gas now days. Gosh I went WAAAY off topic, sorry.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
I mainly just run 87 octane ethanol free (Sunoco has the pump) in all my Carbureted toys. My old D150 with the leaning tower of power HATES the E10 gas now days. Gosh I went WAAAY off topic, sorry.
You did bring up a good point. You should always run ethanol free Gas. Ethanol will dry out and harden fuel lines and O rings.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Tags
georgia, hawk, upgrades