Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2023, 03:20 PM   #1

Templar M A few questions

So, I've read the Templar and KPX stickies, the former a few times. I'm working on the "War and Peace" sized Gargantuan Exa-thread for the templar x but I'm only on page 12 out of 100+. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Grease or Never sieze. My dad preached the benefits never sez(says). He was an electrician/mechanic/welder in a coal mine all his life (untill a coffee table sized rock almost killed him). So I used to use that stuff on everything from a axles to spark plug threads. That crap is a pain on the rump to remove from anything it contacts namely my hands. Is this stuff overkill. I've gotta go through the suspension linkage because a friend said he tighten that stuff good but after a ride the other day when I thought the rear felt unusually squirrelly I found the nuts missing on 2 pieces of linkage. I found two nuts to put back at tractor supply and was thinking about using a washer and either a lock washer or blue loc-tite. Probably the later as one part of the linkage is behind another and I doubt there's enough room for a washer and lock washer.

Should I use general synthetic grease, wheel bearing grease, or never-sez? The nuts I found aren't flanged nor do they have the rubber piece in them that some have to prevent them from backing out.

I lost one of the rubber bumpers that go between the exhaust and side plate. Any suggestion for something else I could use. I'm hoping I've got something similar like a spark plug boot I could cut and use.

My house is at 875 feet above sea level and I ride between 700 and 3500 and occasionally 5k feet. I've never experienced issues due to elevation changes in the past, will that make a difference? My jet kit is here and I was going to do the rejet. That kit was 10 bucks, oh I bought some screws to replace the studs holding the bowl on the carb. Some are just buying anibbi and jetting it (or not). Is there any benefit to over of these carbs? I mean I've got a Dremel to do any polishing and stuff if necessary.. But if I thought id get a significant power increase I'd do that. A few on here Thumper for one (who seemsto know his shit) has simply rejetted...

My 5 speed M desperately needs that 6th gear and certainly a little higher gearing. Once I'm up to 45 or 50i let off because it's winding pretty hard. Since I'm still in the break-in period (less than 10 miles) I'm not running it hard. I try to stay under 6k rpm. How much difference will the 14 tooth front pulley make? That seems most economical because there's enough adjustment inn the chain that I wouldn't have to add links or remove them (in the case of the smaller back pulley). I might get a smaller rear pulley but only after I need a chain and or pulley replacement.

Lastly, I've increased preload using a metal punch and rubber mallet. I've moved it about 1.25 inches and have about 2 or 2.5 more adjustment left. I've tore that lower ring all to hell doing this and need to adjust more any suggestions? I wish I'd bought a cheap spanner set. I'm going to try to find something softer to hammer it today if possible and if it'll work. Right now it's getting hard to turn, but I don't have it on a stand. Would that help make adjustment easier?

Thanks everyone for all the info posted.

PS. The gas station near my house claims to sell 100% gas va 10 ethanol for about 50 cents more. Still 87 octane though. People recommend real gas and or high-test for my Sthil weedeatera and other outdoor equipment. Should I bother with the "real" gas? I've ran 87 w/10% ethanol in my weed eaters and mowers without issue. One of my weedeaters is 18 years old and still runs fine.

Apologies if these have all been discussed our beat to death in other threads. I can't search threads on my mobile device. Also Tapatalk has a ChinaRiders group/join button listed does anyone use that app?

Thanks again to all contributors to this site for your patience and for sharing your knowledge.

Have a better one everyone! Id been meaning to ask all this for over a week, even typing it up only to decide to not post.

Last edited by griizgrokz; 08-09-2023 at 03:34 PM. Reason: cleaning it up some 2nd, adding more info as if it's not long enough already.