Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2023, 01:08 PM   #1

Only mod I regret doing on my Hawk 250....

Chain/sprockets upgrade.
I didn't have any real issues with this bike before hand, few hiccups here and there but never anything this long.

Ever since I changed the chain I've had issues. When I first installed it I checked the slack and it was within specs, went out for the first ride and the chain masterlink snapped, got it back home and got a new link, got the chain back on without adjusting anything and it was way too tight, obviously had moved when riding, so I went ahead and bought a whole new chain and adjusted back to specs, went riding around the farm and checked it again, and everytime it moves now, I've repeated this process 3-4 times and no matter what the chain re-adjusts itself after riding for a bit. I had it adjusted to exactly 25MM of slack and now it's about 30-31MM of slack. A bit on the loose side. Should I just ride with it or try to get it back to 25?

(20-30mm being the goal?)

How do you pros get your chain adjust properly on the first try? or do you just keep adjusting, riding, adjusting, riding, etc until finding the sweet spot?

So after looking up 30mm it's actually 1.1inch-ish, I'm right over 1inch, so I should be perfect for the more loose side of the specs, question is do I want it on the loose side of things?