Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 03:26 PM   #1

"throttle is racing on templar x

Hey guys, I'm here to admit my ineptitude! My kids both have a Templar X but only one is rideable at the moment. They both run, but my daughters has a run away throttle issue, that I don't know how to fix.

I've searched the forums and from what I found is that it's likely something to do with the throttle slide either getting hung or not going all the way down.

I just don't know how to check or fix this. When the bike is running I can gently tug on the throttle cable and it will begin to rev, I'm concerned it may do this while riding and cause her to have an accident. I haven't noticed specifically if it's when the handlebars are turned to the right or not, but I will check.

Is there a post where someone shows steps on how to adjust this? Or how to check if the cable needs rerouted?

From what I can see both ends of the throttle cable enter a housing, so I really don't know what I'm looking for.

Last edited by rithac; 05-01-2024 at 04:26 PM.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:19 PM   #2

Mine was doing that a bit. I lubed the throttle cable and the housing. Problem fixed but now my grip is pretty loose even after using hair spray gorilla glue (I'll likely just swap those out as it's cheap and the stock ones are pretty poor.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 05-01-2024, 04:35 PM   #3

I know some people have solved this by rerouting the throttle cable.
I don't have the issue on my Templar X and here's how mine is routed

1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 05-01-2024, 04:45 PM   #4

Aussie, Thanks for the image!

Old 05-01-2024, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rithac View Post
Aussie, Thanks for the image!

No problem. Benefit of working from home and having my office in the garage. Bikes are never too far away!

I basically routed my cable to have the smoothest possible transition everywhere that it needs to bend. Weresquatch has a good point about cable lube too. If you're going to reroute it's probably best to cover all bases and lube up the cable at the same time
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 05-01-2024, 06:53 PM   #6

Part of all bikes setup is to test the cable runs with full side to side swing off the handlebars to test the throttle cable run.

Nothing wrong, just remove the headlight to get easy access to all the cabling and wires and trace the throttle cable down the handlebars and around the steering post and side of the frame. On the left side frame behind the steering post is a cable holder. Some assemblers run the electric wiring harness first then run the throttle cable next leaving the cable on the outside of the harness further from the frame. Just reverse it and have the throttle cable first then put the wiring harness on top of it so there is less stretch placed on the throttle cable.

From there trace the cable as it passes through the frame to the other side and check the cable run on that side to the carburetor itself.

When satisfied start the motor and do full side to side turns of the handlebar to test the full range of motion and check for no strain on the throttle cable causing the engine to increase rpm at the far end of range movement.

Full user setup also includes adjusting the brake and the throttle lever positions to the intended rider and handlebar position to match the rider. If you have the time complete a full setup.

I lube with silicone spray the inside of my throttle cable at least twice a year as my maintenance schedule.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 05-02-2024, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Part of all bikes setup is to test the cable runs with full side to side swing off the handlebars to test the throttle cable run.

Nothing wrong, just remove the headlight to get easy access to all the cabling and wires and trace the throttle cable down the handlebars and around the steering post and side of the frame. On the left side frame behind the steering post is a cable holder. Some assemblers run the electric wiring harness first then run the throttle cable next leaving the cable on the outside of the harness further from the frame. Just reverse it and have the throttle cable first then put the wiring harness on top of it so there is less stretch placed on the throttle cable.

From there trace the cable as it passes through the frame to the other side and check the cable run on that side to the carburetor itself.

When satisfied start the motor and do full side to side turns of the handlebar to test the full range of motion and check for no strain on the throttle cable causing the engine to increase rpm at the far end of range movement.

Full user setup also includes adjusting the brake and the throttle lever positions to the intended rider and handlebar position to match the rider. If you have the time complete a full setup.

I lube with silicone spray the inside of my throttle cable at least twice a year as my maintenance schedule.
Thanks for the tips! I thought maybe something was disconnected or loose in the collar that the cable connects to on each end. I do hope to do a full setup on them in time. I will probably also need to lower the one for my daughter, but I'll have to find someone with a drill press to help with that one. Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2024, 07:33 PM   #8

Various setup tips, not all needed in all use scenarios (standard thickness tubes, no rimlocks etc. if using the bike primarily on street changes the videos recommendation) but good to know.

What I usually figure on first:
- handlebars adjusted for the rider
- brake and clutch lever adjusted
- engine side clutch cable adjustment setup for gross, handlebar lever side for setting the fine adjustment
- handlebar full swing pinched throttle cable side to side test with motor running
- brake pedal and shift lever adjusted for rider
- I usually clean rotors and pads with brake cleaner when brand new to eliminate oils, then I cease use of the spray and let the brake dust build up
- full clicker adjustment on suspension front and rear, I noticed factory setups didn't match manual default settings
- the setup of suspension can be it's own long post and lots of test rides on different settings to find optimum for the end rider and their given weight
- full chain and rear wheel tension setup both sides in balance
- front wheel suspension alignment, I usually use the front brake applied and push down weight into front suspension a few times method to set alignment

- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Tags
templar x, throttle help