Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #16

I actually have a XRE300 frame & some parts and that has a 3 point linkage and differnt swing arm/shock set up etc.
Wonder if that can be modded and weld the extra dog bone link mounts to the frame etc.
XRE300 is a newer version/style of a Hawk like Bike

Also I have a free to pick up USD front end for a Hawk no wheel FREE for collection near Chengdu airport

Old 07-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #17

I can tell by the video it is a much stronger piece and would definitely be an upgrade. And on the fb groups I have seen 2 Hawk swing arms that have folded up.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
I can tell by the video it is a much stronger piece and would definitely be an upgrade. And on the fb groups I have seen 2 Hawk swing arms that have folded up.
I have seen those same pictures/posts. Being launched into the air is not really what these bikes were intended for, so it doesn't surprise me. These are road bikes with a little off road capability more than they are dirt bikes.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post

It was me. The most notorious parts buyer/experimenter here.

Not sure how much of an upgrade it will be, but I am mainly after the different adjuster style. You didn't have to pull the parts from another bike though. I would have been just as happy waiting for it. Pretty sure I need the rear axle for the wheel too due to length reasons, so I ordered that today.

Well, at this point, I think the only things left for a complete brozz swingarm upgrade are the caliper bracket and caliper itself...lol. And rear wheel for drop in set up.

Email: jeffreyp@peacesports.com
Phone: 770-662-1898 x107

Facebook: "Peace Sports"
IG: Peace_Sports_Atlanta
Youtube: "Peace Industry Group"

Old 07-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSportsAtlanta View Post
Well, at this point, I think the only things left for a complete brozz swingarm upgrade are the caliper bracket and caliper itself...lol. And rear wheel for drop in set up.
From what I can tell, all of the Hawk stuff, including the spacer, will work.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 AM   #21

I wonder if it will fit the BMS250crp that I have, that now has a dead battery....go figure....haven't had a chance to even put on some miles.... back to SWINGARM, I might see if the dimensions are the same, and I will report. Thanks all for the info!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 07-20-2019, 05:38 AM   #22

Test fit results.

I had a full day of heavy maintenance on the Hawk - pulling all the parts off, detail cleaning, greasing, etc. - in celebration of its first 1000-ish miles.

More on that in my actual bike thread if interested, including shock related stuff with this swing arm, here: http://chinariders.net/showpost.php?...&postcount=148
The short version is you WILL need a shorter shock if you choose to use the mount location of the Brozz swing arm - unless you want about a 2 inch lift.

Anyway, moving on to details about the rest of the fitment.

On the frame side of things - more or less the same with one minor difference in the width of the two pivots. The Brozz swing arm is a bit less than an 1/8th but a bit more than 1/16th inch narrower than the Hawk unit. There could be a few factors at work here, including variances in manufacturing, and I only have one data point to go off of, so results may vary. This doesn't concern me very much as it can be easily solved by a thin washer/spacer or two inside the dust caps to take up the slack. So the fitment here is good.

The length from the pivot to the axle is more or less the same, so no worries there.

Wheel fitment: This is with the Hawk wheel and caliper bracket and the Brozz axle and wheel spacer. The Hawk wheel spacer is actually a little bit longer and will not work.

The only thing I am unsure of is the locating tab for the rear brake caliper of the Brozz swing arm is not a round pin like the Hawk, but instead has machined flat surfaces top and bottom. The Hawk bracket does work just fine but has a bit of play in it. It would be nice to be able to compare the dimensions of the Brozz and Hawk rear caliper brackets to note any differences, if any Blue Eagle owners are willing to humor me.

Unlike the Hawk swing arm, this arm is not splayed open. The spacer and caliper bracket are a very snug fit between the adjuster ends of the swing arm. It is so snug in fact that I may sand down the caliper bracket side just a tiny bit so that it can slide a little more freely.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Dan …..At the risk of sounding nosey what was the price of that swing arm.
49 buckaroos. With the adjusters, chain guide/protector, and rear axle with spacer, about $75 when all said and done, plus shipping.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #24

Looks like it's going to work Dan. You can cut down the spacer to make it work but I'm sure you already thought of that. Definitely looks beefier. I sure hope in that maintenance program of yours included cleaning up of that rear wheel up? Just getting you back for the dirty chain comments.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 07-22-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I had a full day of heavy maintenance on the Hawk - pulling all the parts off, detail cleaning, greasing, etc. - in celebration of its first 1000-ish miles.

More on that in my actual bike thread if interested, including shock related stuff with this swing arm, here: http://chinariders.net/showpost.php?...&postcount=148
The short version is you WILL need a shorter shock if you choose to use the mount location of the Brozz swing arm - unless you want about a 2 inch lift.

Anyway, moving on to details about the rest of the fitment.

On the frame side of things - more or less the same with one minor difference in the width of the two pivots. The Brozz swing arm is a bit less than an 1/8th but a bit more than 1/16th inch narrower than the Hawk unit. There could be a few factors at work here, including variances in manufacturing, and I only have one data point to go off of, so results may vary. This doesn't concern me very much as it can be easily solved by a thin washer/spacer or two inside the dust caps to take up the slack. So the fitment here is good.

The length from the pivot to the axle is more or less the same, so no worries there.

Wheel fitment: This is with the Hawk wheel and caliper bracket and the Brozz axle and wheel spacer. The Hawk wheel spacer is actually a little bit longer and will not work.

The only thing I am unsure of is the locating tab for the rear brake caliper of the Brozz swing arm is not a round pin like the Hawk, but instead has machined flat surfaces top and bottom. The Hawk bracket does work just fine but has a bit of play in it. It would be nice to be able to compare the dimensions of the Brozz and Hawk rear caliper brackets to note any differences, if any Blue Eagle owners are willing to humor me.

Unlike the Hawk swing arm, this arm is not splayed open. The spacer and caliper bracket are a very snug fit between the adjuster ends of the swing arm. It is so snug in fact that I may sand down the caliper bracket side just a tiny bit so that it can slide a little more freely.
For whatever it is worth, I consider the stock Hawk swing arm the poorest single part in the whole bike. This simple, but not cheap, change will mke a considerable improvement in the bikes off-road performance, and very likely better on road as well. ...ARH

Old 07-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmt View Post
You know I was looking at the new kaw. klx230 and was thinking maybe their suspension or at least the rear shock might work on these bikes. The swing arm looks way cheaper then the china bikes though.

i just took a look at that klx 230,, wow $5000 for essentially a hawk250. its so close in design i would expect a $2-3k price tag, theyre ripping people off bigtime that bike not worth the money by a long shot.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwildman View Post
i just took a look at that klx 230,, wow $5000 for essentially a hawk250. its so close in design i would expect a $2-3k price tag, theyre ripping people off bigtime that bike not worth the money by a long shot.

Yeap it definitely has some Hawk DNA. I think honda even has a almost exact duplicate hawk they sale in south america. We so get ripped off here in the USA. I work overseas and see this shit all the time. We also get the shit bikes the rest of the world doesnt want but you cant blame 100% overseas manufacturers the USA importers/ dealers are just as equally responsible for screwing us. My wish bike here in the USA a MT03. Absolute magnificent machine throw some adv tires on it you got a decent bike not motocross by any means but a nice set up.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmt View Post
Yeap it definitely has some Hawk DNA. I think honda even has a almost exact duplicate hawk they sale in south america. We so get ripped off here in the USA. I work overseas and see this shit all the time. We also get the shit bikes the rest of the world doesnt want but you cant blame 100% overseas manufacturers the USA importers/ dealers are just as equally responsible for screwing us.
Here you go

Name:  Honda-XR150L-min.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  82.5 KB

It's the same frame as the hawk 250 use, the same thin forks, but instead of rear disc brake it use a rear drum brake "because that's enough". Instead of 230cc Honda sells it as XR150L (cg variant) XR190L (cb variant with efi)

For the 230cc segment they have CRF230 which is made in brazil with chinese parts..
For the 250cc segment they have the XR250 which is made in Argentina with chinese parts...

If you debrand any Honda sub 300cc and put them next to a chinese sub 300c motorcycle people wouldn't be able to tell the difference...

Taking apart competition motorcycle like yz250, crf250, etc most of the sub 300cc that are being sold here made by Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki are incredible ordinary.
You put them next to an older 250cc enduro motorcycle made by the same company and you can see cheapness in the new models they sell.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
Here you go

Attachment 17845

It's the same frame as the hawk 250 use, the same thin forks, but instead of rear disc brake it use a rear drum brake "because that's enough". Instead of 230cc Honda sells it as XR150L (cg variant) XR190L (cb variant with efi)

For the 230cc segment they have CRF230 which is made in brazil with chinese parts..
For the 250cc segment they have the XR250 which is made in Argentina with chinese parts...

If you debrand any Honda sub 300cc and put them next to a chinese sub 300c motorcycle people wouldn't be able to tell the difference...

Taking apart competition motorcycle like yz250, crf250, etc most of the sub 300cc that are being sold here made by Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki are incredible ordinary.
You put them next to an older 250cc enduro motorcycle made by the same company and you can see cheapness in the new models they sell.
Very different in parts n many don’t fit
Styles vary this might be Bashan storm in some areas but not Hawk only in the outline

Old 07-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Very different in parts n many don’t fit
Styles vary this might be Bashan storm in some areas but not Hawk only in the outline
Could be a bashan or something else, the point is. That that motorcycle just like the klx 230 among other "japanese" low cc bikes are mostly chinese and overpriced, because they have sticker that says honda, yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki.
So you have a Japanese company, that request a motorcycle in china, then they send it to one of their assemblers either in Argentina or Brazil and then they charge 2.5 to 3 times the prices of a bike that's 90% the same because it says Honda or Yamaha.
The quality of those is just a notch above a plain chinese motorcycle, nothing that cannot be upgrade or checked with just a few bucks.

With the KLX 230 same history but i guess it is assambled in India.