Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2022, 08:54 PM   #31

Timing got to me though, I didn't have anyone chime in so I went to the trouble of full disassembly. I pulled the fuel tank, disconnected the choke lever cable, fished the entire choke cable out (until I learn how they properly connect and disconnect from the carburetor body it was safer to undo the other end). And I pulled the carburetor and then went to town pulling off the air intake manifold.

All that work for naught, it is the style you see on ATVs etc., not the top of my list of favorite types. They try to have that rubber in the middle form a kind of seal. The next guy with excess mold flashing still attached will at least be informed.

Name:  TemplarIntakeManifold.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  727.0 KB

Old 11-14-2022, 08:55 PM   #32

I see some orange under that plastic Hap!

Old 11-14-2022, 09:27 PM   #33

I’m gonna get it unwrapped and put together tomorrow after work hopefully. It didn’t get here until after 6. The last thing on the truck. But so far I’m happy! Did you get your intake sorted?

Old 11-14-2022, 10:23 PM   #34

Intake is still off the bike. Carburetor is in the vice. I only have stone dremel bits and they only polish more than grind the bolts. New bits on order but they arrive next Saturday.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:58 PM   #35

I still have to unwrap my bike finish assembly and make sure everything’s peachy. But I’ve got to say Powersportsmax has exceeded my expectations. From day one, the ordering process was easy. Payment process is easy and safe. They provided step by step information on their site of I think every move they made with my order in house. When it got loaded on the truck they gave me a tracking number and a link to the shippers (R&L)website. From there I was able track my orders progress myself to each hub. And Maxpro sent me emails alerting me every time my tracking results were updated from beginning to end. I called R&L once with a question about delivery and I got a real person that was very nice and not only answered my question. But volunteered to let me know the approximate time my order would be delivered and inserted a note for the driver to call me one hour before he would be here. And he actually called! Even maneuvered that giant truck and trailer as close to the house as he could get it and used a powered walk behind fork lift thing to get it under my carport. He was nice as hell too! It’s been a good experience to this point. Now I’m ready to enjoy this bike. I wish it would warm up just a little. I’m from Mississippi so I can’t take much cold especially with a windchill.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:00 AM   #36

They are good. They are obviously showing that they are serious and want to be in the business.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Two hours after the R+L provided delivery time window, we have a delivery!

The biggest initial damage was the wooden pallet itself!
Whoever built it just butted up two small pieces of wood
instead of a single piece and decided to nail it together
thinking it would be structural!

Attachment 27796

The metal frame itself was in excellent condition. There
was a single bent frame diagonal brace in the front where
after removing the black plastic wrap the cardboard was
pressed in as something gave it a good bash in the front.

I quickly moved the electrical harness and light aside and
noticed the forks are already pre-installed for packing in
the shipping box. The right hand side one has a tiny bit of metal
showing where something rubbed during the bash but nothing
looked dented or serious.

Attachment 27797

The right hand side of the bike looks really nice. No initial damage
found in a fast cursory inspection in the failing light.

Attachment 27799

The left side initially looked good. But the light had
failed by this point and the garage light wasn't good.

It took me a while but I finally noticed the left plastic
under the seat had a big chunk taken out of it.

If this and the small scuff on the right front fork is all
the damage there is then I am very happy with the
state the bike arrived in! -- I was so worried not knowing
if I would win the freight lottery
Attachment 27800

Attachment 27801
Hey TP. Does this look familiar? Name:  DCABE89F-EA5E-4196-9FC3-DE2BF03D0B73.jpeg
Views: 280
Size:  1.04 MB

Old 11-15-2022, 11:00 PM   #38

That looks familiar. I took a look at the new assembly video as well a week ago. From what I remember the front wheel was installed on the bottom of the shipping frame. What I received the wheel was zip tied to the top of the shipping frame. I also noticed in the video that they pulled the handlebar clamps out of a smaller cardboard box. Mine came already installed. I also noticed my left side passenger footpeg was missing. In the video I am sure the never install it and it came pre installed. This caused initial confusion. It turns out they were in the cardboard box that in the video the handlebar clamps were in. The must have removed them so the wheel could be at the top of the shipping frame and not hit the pets in transit since they were removed. But if course the wheel can now slide forward and the rotor must have been facing inwards and bumps into the side panel during transportation.

That new video might be a cut and paste job. Cut out the steps in the beginning of the old video and paste a bit of new video on the front end but it still seems to not mach exactly the way I received mine.

Old 11-16-2022, 12:05 AM   #39

Yep. They need to rethink the new front wheel placement in packaging. It’s tough on the left side shroud. I do appreciate the extra assembly they started doing though. Everything is nice and tight. Looks like I’ll be into the weekend getting everything together and like I want it. It’s a nice bike. Hell of a deal. I think.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #40

Yes. Take your time and dial it in. It’s heading into winter temperatures here so no rush.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:45 PM   #41

I don't know if I posted this, now that all the blind break off bolts have been removed from the carburetor I bought and installed two M4-.7x16mm Hex Sock Cap Bolts

Name:  New M4-.7x16mm hex socket cap botls.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  197.1 KB

I decided to redo my battery tender wiring to switch it to the other side thinking I might back my bike in the garage such that the left side is facing the wall with the power socket and have the front tire facing the garage door so I have a quick and easy exit down the driveway incline. Underneath the battery tray is the engine CDI unit.

Name:  Engine CDI unit found under battery tray.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  130.3 KB

I spent today installing the digital dash and key. And hooking up all the missing wiring.

Name:  Digital Dash and Key Installed.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  177.1 KB

I must have taken the Headlight Cowl and and off at least three times. I did not like the throttle cable routing the way it came out of the box. When I pulled the steering hard right all the free play in the throttle I had set had dissappeared. Nothing I adjusted would bring it back. I pulled the digital dash again and rerouted the throttle cable. Finally after all that faffing about I can roll the handlebars full right and I get the same freeplay I set in the full left position.

Name:  Headlight Cowl Removed Twice Reroute Throttle Cable.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  192.8 KB
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 11-16-2022, 08:58 PM   #42

Finally my Motorcycle Wheel Hex Tool arrived. I can finally get that front wheel torqued up to spec. For the moment the nut is on finger tight as I didn't have the 19mm hex to go into that front wheel bolt.

Had to add the sprocket to get free shipping. Might as well grab one of them now to test out. I am not using this for off road, or plan on mostly street so I moved a step taller from preserving off road 1st capability. I won't even start work on this until the bike is broken in. I still have to get a new chain and then master links and chain breaking tools to do this swap.

Name:  Motorcycle Wheel Tool and New Sprocket.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  169.5 KB

Just so it can be said it can be done. Carburetor has been reinstalled. I tried yesterday and gave up. It was 30s in the garage and low 40s. Try as I might I couldn't get the air filter boot to slip over even with lots of silicone lube spray. Today with a fresh nights rest I borrowed my wife's hair dryer (NOT A HEAT GUN!) and the boot, carburetor and I got acquainted with the loveliest toasty warm conditions to work in.

Name:  Carb Reinstalled In Cold With Hair Dryer On Air Box Boot.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  125.4 KB

I've now got the tank reinstalled. Who would have thought the fuel tank to carburetor fuel line host clamp and the fuel tank to petcock fuel line hose clamps would be different sizes. I got the tank finally adjusted so the seat could be mounted and all the seat bolt holes lined up. Then I snugged down the tank into that position. I got my new micro-controller battery charger, battery reconditioner and battery tender plugged in and keeping it in good shape. Batteries last twice as long if you plug em in and maintain them when not riding. At the cost of new batteries the 4Amp Viking from Harbor Freight was a bargain.

Now the bike is pretty much done. All that remains is a full PDI and go over every single bolt and torque specs. Then pop the side panels on. Go get some fresh gas and see if it will run.

Front brake hand lever, rear brake foot lever both trigger the rear LED brake light. Right and Left signals work and the correct indicators on front and rear light up for each direction. Digital Dash lights up, gear changes show up on the Dash as does returning to neutral lighting up the large green N light.

Rear brake foot lever doesn't engage until after a large amount of throw, I'll have to adjust that so it engages sooner.

Headlight switch works. On solid dot nothing comes on. On headlight icon the headlight turns on. The Hi/Low toggle switch works. Looking at it in my garage and staring into the headlight it seemed weak to me. A new headlight LED upgrade may be in the future sooner than later. Will need to test at night on the road and see.

Need to install mirrors. Warm the engine, dump the shipping oil and put in its first quart of proper oil. Adjust the chain tension. And whatever other small miscellaneous tasks need to be done.

Name:  Tank On, Seat On, New Battery Tender Wiring Plug Only Needs Side Panels and PDI Torque All Bolts.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  195.6 KB
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 11-16-2022, 10:57 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
I don't know if I posted this, now that all the blind break off bolts have been removed from the carburetor I bought and installed two M4-.7x16mm Hex Sock Cap Bolts

Attachment 27843

I decided to redo my battery tender wiring to switch it to the other side thinking I might back my bike in the garage such that the left side is facing the wall with the power socket and have the front tire facing the garage door so I have a quick and easy exit down the driveway incline. Underneath the battery tray is the engine CDI unit.

Attachment 27844

I spent today installing the digital dash and key. And hooking up all the missing wiring.

Attachment 27845

I must have taken the Headlight Cowl and and off at least three times. I did not like the throttle cable routing the way it came out of the box. When I pulled the steering hard right all the free play in the throttle I had set had dissappeared. Nothing I adjusted would bring it back. I pulled the digital dash again and rerouted the throttle cable. Finally after all that faffing about I can roll the handlebars full right and I get the same freeplay I set in the full left position.

Attachment 27846
Put my headlight and dash in today. I had to fiddle with the cables myself to free them more from binding. It’s tight behind that Cowl!

Old 11-16-2022, 11:09 PM   #44

Glad it’s coming together TP. I’m just doing what I can in the evenings after work. This cold weather is tough down here too! Got so this evening I couldn’t hardly hold a bolt in my hand! I’ll be off work next week for Thanksgiving. So hopefully I can get everything done then. Keep the posts coming man. I enjoy reading them!

Old 11-18-2022, 09:14 PM   #45

Nothing photograph worthy to show today. After a day off I spent today doing a bit more work on the bike. Getting near the end of the project. Did a lot of torque wrench work today plus blue loc-tite. I’ll need red loc-tite for the rear axle nut but I only have blue on hand so I just torqued the rear axle bolt to for the moment without any on it. I filled the tank up with a bit of gas. Fired it up. Ran for less than a minute. Exhaust still cold. At idle to 1/8th throttle standing right next to the exhaust it is extremely quiet. I shut it down as it’s dark outside and closed the garage door. Plugged the bike back into the battery charger and tender.

Tomorrows plan is to work on proper five minute or longer warm up of the engine. Then dump out the engine shipping oil, then pull the spark wire and crank the engine to free up even more trapped shipping oil. I’ll pull the screen and check for metal particles and then replace it and the pool drain bolt and put in some Rotella T4. Then adjust idle screw on that viscosity of oil after at least five minutes warm up.

Then the bike is mostly all done. Install mirrors, bolt on side plastics. Then get insurance and then state vehicle inspection organized as vehicle inspection records your proof of insurance for the state. I received the MCO and bill of sale in the mail and the VIN matches so paperwork should be good to go to the county tax office for title and registration.
- #42 / #120 Jets