Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #1

Doh! Should I Get A Hawk DLX !!!!

Should I Get A Hawk DLX if I’m A Shorty ?!?? A 5’4” Shorty With My Shoes Off. Please Help Me Find A Nice Ride.

Last edited by GizmoJohn432; 07-29-2022 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Adding

Old 07-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #2

Personally I find Hawk's too tall at 36". I can ride a Bashan Storm fine at 34". I'm closer to 5'11", but only have a 29" inseam. I get both feet on the ground comfortably on the Magician.

2016 Magician 250

Old 07-30-2022, 04:00 PM   #3

I'm 5.9 170lbs and I took all of the preload off the rear shock to lower it enough and I still can't flat foot my hawk. You might check out the tbr7 it's basically the same bike with smaller wheels but I don't know if they have a injected option.
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 07-30-2022, 05:46 PM   #4

The Lifan X-Pect is listed as having a 32.7" seat height. It has a proven reputation and is fuel-injected.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-30-2022, 06:00 PM   #5

2022 Bashan Storm DB-08-250 is available for about $1700 plus shipping. Comfortable seat height. If a bit tall you can drop the forks by an inch or so. But the original tires are 17 rear, 19 front and the seat has a lowered section.
I replaced the tires with knobbies. It comes with dual sport tires. But also comes with inverted front forks which are much tougher than the standard forks that come on the Expect. And instead of a read drum brake, it has a rear disk brake, and a steel framed four point mounted luggage rack.

Should be fine for you. If you must have EFI, Storm does not have it. But the carb is good, and easy to rejet. Also a 229cc counterbalanced engine (Zongshen 167FMM). Lot's of help on youtube and here for things like rejetting.

Here is my Storm:

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=28337

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30916

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30698

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30235

Last edited by Thumper; 07-30-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:18 PM   #6

The DLX model has many improvements over the "normal" Hawk 250 and IMO you can't beat it for the money. Many of the upgrades that people make on their not DLX models are already done. Like a backlit digital instrument cluster that gives you a tach in addition to a speedo and fuel gauge. The base model may have a fuel gauge - I can't remember since I sold my 2015 a few years back...

The electronic fuel injection on the DLX means that you'll never need to mess with replacing and tuning the carb (or draining the carb for storage, though I do recommend adding Stabil to the gas before you put it up for the winter).

The titanium exhaust on the DLX will never rust and is more free-flowing, quite a bit louder (though not obnoxious), and darned good to look at. Free-flowing means that more air can get into the cylinder on the intake stroke. The EFI brain compensates for the additional air adds more fuel into the mixture. Which makes for more power. Which makes us go ZOOM!

The black enameled rims are a nice touch.The tires on the DLX are more road friendly. The knobbies that came on my 2015 base model were extremely aggressive. I don't like drifting around corners. Knobbies give you a smaller contact patch on pavement which means that you slide a bit sideways when going around corners. The DLX tires are aggressive enough for occasional off road riding, but not for anything motocross or enduro race events. For example, I discourage anyone with the stock DLX tires from trying to climb up a very steep hill made of loose dirt and rocks. I tried that and it didn't turn out so well )-:

I believe that the DLX engine has a slightly lower compression ratio which, combined with the EFI and exhaust, provide more torque. I have my DLX geared 17/40 and often see the speedo at 70 MPH on flat sections of the Interstate. First is a bit steep, but low enough to tackle casual off-roading.

As for the seat height, the problem is the same for both models. As is the sidestand angle, which lends itself to the bike falling over when parked on soft material like a lawn. You can remedy both of these by installing a shorter shock. Since you'll need to attach a shock during your assembly, that's the time to install install something shorter. I have a 28" inseam and have not been able to flat-foot most of the bikes that I've owned. So the first thing that I did to my DLX was replace the stock shock with a nitrogen charged unit that is 280mm (measured between the center of the bushings) I needed to buy one or two bushings to adapt the shock to the bike's mounting bolts. I can't remember exactly what the size they are or where I ordered them from. There's at least one thread on this board that provides those details.

The short story is: I can now flat foot the bike. I still can't just throw a leg over it to get on. Rather, I mount it like a horse. I leave the kickstand down and use the left foot peg at a stirrup.

All in all, I think that the extra $600+ is totally worth it.
BTW, a shorter shock means that the bike doesn't lean over at such a radical angle when on the side stand. The "too short a kick stand" applies to both the "regular" Hawk and the DLX model (I've owned both).
2017 TaoTao CY50-B scooter 79cc big bore kit - 45 MPH! (sold)
2015 Haosen Hawk (sold)
2002 Honda XR100R - project bike almost done.
2013 V-Strom 650 Adventure (sold )-:

If I listed every bike that I've ever owned you'd either
1) Get bored
2) Be somewhat envious, or
3) Wonder: "What's wrong with that guy?"

Last edited by CSR_Sprocket; 07-30-2022 at 11:50 PM.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:35 PM   #7

No way ,you will be sorry.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #8

GizmoJohn432 check out Lifan X-PECT200. EFI and proven Lifan Guality.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR_Sprocket View Post
The DLX model has many improvements over the "normal" Hawk 250 and IMO you can't beat it for the money. Many of the upgrades that people make on their not DLX models are already done. Like a backlit digital instrument cluster that gives you a tach in addition to a speedo and fuel gauge. The base model may have a fuel gauge - I can't remember since I sold my 2015 a few years back...

The electronic fuel injection on the DLX means that you'll never need to mess with replacing and tuning the carb (or draining the carb for storage, though I do recommend adding Stabil to the gas before you put it up for the winter).

The titanium exhaust on the DLX will never rust and is more free-flowing, quite a bit louder (though not obnoxious), and darned good to look at. Free-flowing means that more air can get into the cylinder on the intake stroke. The EFI brain compensates for the additional air adds more fuel into the mixture. Which makes for more power. Which makes us go ZOOM!

The black enameled rims are a nice touch.The tires on the DLX are more road friendly. The knobbies that came on my 2015 base model were extremely aggressive. I don't like drifting around corners. Knobbies give you a smaller contact patch on pavement which means that you slide a bit sideways when going around corners. The DLX tires are aggressive enough for occasional off road riding, but not for anything motocross or enduro race events. For example, I discourage anyone with the stock DLX tires from trying to climb up a very steep hill made of loose dirt and rocks. I tried that and it didn't turn out so well )-:

I believe that the DLX engine has a slightly lower compression ratio which, combined with the EFI and exhaust, provide more torque. I have my DLX geared 17/40 and often see the speedo at 70 MPH on flat sections of the Interstate. First is a bit steep, but low enough to tackle casual off-roading.

As for the seat height, the problem is the same for both models. As is the sidestand angle, which lends itself to the bike falling over when parked on soft material like a lawn. You can remedy both of these by installing a shorter shock. Since you'll need to attach a shock during your assembly, that's the time to install install something shorter. I have a 28" inseam and have not been able to flat-foot most of the bikes that I've owned. So the first thing that I did to my DLX was replace the stock shock with a nitrogen charged unit that is 280mm (measured between the center of the bushings) I needed to buy one or two bushings to adapt the shock to the bike's mounting bolts. I can't remember exactly what the size they are or where I ordered them from. There's at least one thread on this board that provides those details.

The short story is: I can now flat foot the bike. I still can't just throw a leg over it to get on. Rather, I mount it like a horse. I leave the kickstand down and use the left foot peg at a stirrup.

All in all, I think that the extra $600+ is totally worth it.
BTW, a shorter shock means that the bike doesn't lean over at such a radical angle when on the side stand. The "too short a kick stand" applies to both the "regular" Hawk and the DLX model (I've owned both).
wow...lot of info..ty!

Tags
dlx efi, hawk dlx, short guy’s