Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2022, 08:59 PM   #1

Templar 250 (not X or M)

What do you guys know about the Templar 250 non X/M? Is it a new model or an old one? I see a lot of mentions of the Templar X and M but not the plain Templar.

I ordered one from Power Sports Max last week and I've searched all over but only found one guy on youtube with this bike. Surely someone on here has one. All I know is that it shares the same engine and trans with the M. It has shorter forks, a shorter rear shock, shorter wheelbase, smaller fuel tank, no skid plate and costs less. It's much taller than the Titan and no relation to the Hawk.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
What do you guys know about the Templar 250 non X/M? Is it a new model or an old one? I see a lot of mentions of the Templar X and M but not the plain Templar.

I ordered one from Power Sports Max last week and I've searched all over but only found one guy on youtube with this bike. Surely someone on here has one. All I know is that it shares the same engine and trans with the M. It has shorter forks, a shorter rear shock, shorter wheelbase, smaller fuel tank, no skid plate and costs less. It's much taller than the Titan and no relation to the Hawk.
There’s a guy called Light Design on YouTube that has a Templar. He has some fairly detailed information on that bike. He has a good head to head comparison of the Templar and Titan on one video. I’ll try to link that on here. Might take me a second.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:08 PM   #3

That's the one guy on youtube I found. Thanks anyway.

Edit: Actually I found 2 more guys with some youtube videos. Not much useful info. however. It finally shipped today so I'll know much more about it next week when it arrives.

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 12-02-2022 at 01:25 AM.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:01 AM   #4

This is the original Templar that was sold early Summer when the Templar X showed up (5 speed version). The frame is slightly shorter, it doesn't have the adjustable suspension, and no rack. But it DOES have that awesome ZS172FMM-3A engine. It is the same engine I got on my 5 speed Templar X.

$1400 at PSM right now. Insanely great price for that bike. You will not be disappointed.

Old 12-02-2022, 01:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Edit: Actually I found 2 more guys with some youtube videos. Not much useful info.

Oooo, I think you have a budding future YouTube carreer ahead of you. You could make a video with proper information in to help the rest of the folks out there sitting on the fence decide!
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 12-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
This is the original Templar that was sold early Summer when the Templar X showed up (5 speed version). The frame is slightly shorter, it doesn't have the adjustable suspension, and no rack. But it DOES have that awesome ZS172FMM-3A engine. It is the same engine I got on my 5 speed Templar X.

$1400 at PSM right now. Insanely great price for that bike. You will not be disappointed.
I guess I'll find out if I made a mistake or not. I really wanted the M for only $100 more but they sold out right before I decided to buy. I took another couple of days and settled for the base Templar. I expect to like the engine, it's the short wheelbase and padded 2x4 seat that concern me. My Motocross days are well behind me as are the jumps. My ass is a little wider too, among other things. I might just be having some buyer's remorse about not getting the M I wanted. Hopefully I'll love the bike, I'll know in a week. Thanks again, Thumper.

Old 12-02-2022, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Oooo, I think you have a budding future YouTube carreer ahead of you. You could make a video with proper information in to help the rest of the folks out there sitting on the fence decide!
Only if I don't have to dye my hair blue!

Old 12-02-2022, 03:17 PM   #8

Please don't!
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 12-02-2022, 07:46 PM   #9

I just ordered one as well for my son. Looks like a good bike. Time will tell.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancadam View Post
I just ordered one as well for my son. Looks like a good bike. Time will tell.
I hope he likes it. I'm waiting on my delivery ATM. It should be here any minute now. My biggest fear is shipping damage. Unfortunately my Dad is in the hospital so I may not get it put together for a while.

Old 12-14-2022, 02:12 AM   #11

Well, I got my Templar and it looked as though R&L played fork lift hockey with it. one side was beat to hell and it must've been stood on end at some point since most of the motor oil was inside the plastic bag at the very rear of the bike. Surprisingly the damage to the bike was minimal. Broken rear turn signal, broken shifter, scratched fork tubes, a broken turn signal flasher unit and a broken headlight. I filed a claim with R&L but they haven't bothered to contact me. OTOH Power sports max has been easy to deal wiuth, They sent me a new turn signal and flasher unit but the shifter was out of stock so they offered a $31 credit which more than covers a new shifter. I just discovered the headlight issue.

My overall impression is good, both the Templar and PSM. Unfortunately it's been really cold here and my dad was in the hospital for a week. I've ridden it less than 2 miles so far. I'll update this thread later with photos and more info.

Questions for Templar owners:

1) What size spanner wrench to adjust rear shock preload?
2) Any reason not to run 87 octane in this low compression engine?
3) What headlight bulb?
4) What diameter for the fork spring preload spacers?

Old 12-14-2022, 04:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Well, I got my Templar and it looked as though R&L played fork lift hockey with it.

My overall impression is good, both the Templar and PSM. Unfortunately it's been really cold here and my dad was in the hospital for a week. I've ridden it less than 2 miles so far. I'll update this thread later with photos and more info.

Questions for Templar owners:

1) What size spanner wrench to adjust rear shock preload?
2) Any reason not to run 87 octane in this low compression engine?
3) What headlight bulb?
4) What diameter for the fork spring preload spacers?

-I have not attempted to adjust the preload on the rear shock, not sure about spanner size, might be the same on the X

- I have not pulled the bulb, but might be different on the X. TexPete has posted details about the headlight bulb(s).

-I have not taken apart front forks, so I don't know what size for shimming the springs

But yes, you can run regular unleaded. I don't hear any detonation on stock ZS172 engines (5 or 6 speed).

Note: Someone found the KKE suspension website. It is in another thread...Your forks and rear shock might be listed. KKE might respond to inquiries about them.

BTW, R&L beat up my 1st Temp X crate. I don't know where the oil came from, but the crate was standing on end in the truck when it arrived at my house! A$$holes.

Old 12-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #13

I got the Motion Pro Shock Spanner Punch made for turning hard to reach lock and preload rings on rear shocks without damaging them.

People in the USA always think the Chinese print manuals for products sold worldwide only for them. Only the USA and Canada use the USA Octane rating system not the world. The 86.5 USA Octane is 90 Octane (RON). So the Chinese printed manuals for low compression engines have all this time been telling people to use USA 87.

No one has replaced the LED bulb in the headlight that I know of, the problem is at the cheap levels there are uncountable resellers of Chinese products that claim sometimes absurdly high specifications, sometimes specifications that seem to even defy physics . But if you do replace it and don't know the good from the crap, I would probably pony up and get a bulb from a reputable well known industry brand thats been around decades as its not a frequently purchased consumable item and rather important in the dark.

I have not pulled my forks apart.
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 12-16-2022, 12:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
-I have not attempted to adjust the preload on the rear shock, not sure about spanner size, might be the same on the X

- I have not pulled the bulb, but might be different on the X. TexPete has posted details about the headlight bulb(s).

-I have not taken apart front forks, so I don't know what size for shimming the springs

But yes, you can run regular unleaded. I don't hear any detonation on stock ZS172 engines (5 or 6 speed).

Note: Someone found the KKE suspension website. It is in another thread...Your forks and rear shock might be listed. KKE might respond to inquiries about them.

BTW, R&L beat up my 1st Temp X crate. I don't know where the oil came from, but the crate was standing on end in the truck when it arrived at my house! A$$holes.
Thanks, I was getting ahead of myself anyway. Winter is officially here in SE PA and most of this will have to wait until Spring. The headlight works when I wiggle things around so it's just a loose connection somewhere.

I was pretty sure that when the manufacturer stated 91 octane they meant RON not AKI but it doesn't hurt to ask. I filled the tank with 87 and it runs fine. If I have time I'll make some DIYs for various Templar essentials in the Spring. IMO the suspension is way too soft for a 250lb person so pvc spacers in the forks and a lot more preload on the shock are a must for me. I'll also rejet and unplug the idle air screw, change fork oil and possibly stiffer springs.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
I got the Motion Pro Shock Spanner Punch made for turning hard to reach lock and preload rings on rear shocks without damaging them.

People in the USA always think the Chinese print manuals for products sold worldwide only for them. Only the USA and Canada use the USA Octane rating system not the world. The 86.5 USA Octane is 90 Octane (RON). So the Chinese printed manuals for low compression engines have all this time been telling people to use USA 87.

No one has replaced the LED bulb in the headlight that I know of, the problem is at the cheap levels there are uncountable resellers of Chinese products that claim sometimes absurdly high specifications, sometimes specifications that seem to even defy physics . But if you do replace it and don't know the good from the crap, I would probably pony up and get a bulb from a reputable well known industry brand thats been around decades as its not a frequently purchased consumable item and rather important in the dark.

I have not pulled my forks apart.
Thanks

I'll update again after I get to ride this bike more than up and down my dead end street. All I can really say about it now is that the suspension seems like it would work well for a 150lb novice rider. It's soft. The engine sounds great and has good power. Damn this cold weather.