Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Sightings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2023, 05:33 PM   #1

Hawk 125 X-PRO in my neighborhood

No one else I know would care, so I have to bring it here. I was at the gas station a few blocks from my house (Chicagoland), heard a VERY distinct sounding engine buzzing past me, and saw someone pulling in to fill up a Hawk 125 X-PRO. I had to ask him about it, and he said it's brand new and this is his first time out on it. Pretty sharp looking little burner!

He was just a kid, likely under 20, and when he left the gas station he was quite a bit wobbly and had trouble changing gears as I saw him go down the street, in gym shorts, dock runners, and a t-shirt. Hope he takes some courses (although MSF is currently no longer available in our state unless you go to the southern region) or studies up on some DDFM and Motojitsu. I was so nervous for him!

Old 09-13-2023, 05:55 PM   #2

I'll need to check the MSF courses. These are listed on the website for Basic Rider Courses our area.
https://training.msf-usa.org/res/str...x8rp18EA%3D%3D

I know that DuKane ABATE is trying to push for more rider training. We've had a rough 30 days in SW Kane/SE Dekalb Cty with four MC fatalities.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
No one else I know would care, so I have to bring it here.

I was at a gas station yesterday and some kids in shorts on dirt bikes pulled in. Now I look closer at the machines they're riding. Pretty sure one was a Honda, couldn't even tell on the other. Loud AF two strokes with tons of power.

I can't wait to spot another China bike on the road. lol

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 09-14-2023, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I'll need to check the MSF courses. These are listed on the website for Basic Rider Courses our area.
https://training.msf-usa.org/res/str...x8rp18EA%3D%3D

I know that DuKane ABATE is trying to push for more rider training. We've had a rough 30 days in SW Kane/SE Dekalb Cty with four MC fatalities.

Ouch, that is super high for such a short time. Our ARC instructor last month in Peoria is somewhat of a higher-up in the IL MSF, and said after this October's last classes, the central region is joining the northern region and will not be available for at least next year. 3-wheeler BRC death last year caused a litigation nightmare, and it's all coming down to insurance and funding woes. He said he's trying to develop his own course with some others, aside from MSF, and is citing the higher numbers in moto fatalities JUST since the northern region stopped.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post

I can't wait to spot another China bike on the road. lol

There's one other guy I've seen near me on a black Hawk 250, and we give each other very enthusiastic waves, not just your mere "two wheels down" biker wave.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
…some courses (although MSF is currently no longer available in our state unless you go to the southern region)…
If you don’t have MSF locally look up if you have a Harley Davidson dealer locally that offers the Harley Riding Academy course. That is the MSF book and at the end of it the MSF cert. Same price here to do Harley Academy as it costs to take the local MSF course but the difference is you ride and learn on a smaller Harley versus a Grom at the MSF course here.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 09-14-2023, 01:45 PM   #7

I did not know that about Harley. Wow, I'm impressed with Harley for like the 2nd time.

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 09-14-2023, 04:05 PM   #8

Yea the Harley courses are around here too, the problem is in IL, the MSF is free, but the Harley course is a few hundred bucks. Unfortunately too many people have no problem dropping a $300 aftermarket exhaust solely to make it sound aggressive, but won't spend that on training to keep them alive.

That's crazy when I hear about them using Groms, like "hey sit on this short toy, it'll approximate the Vulcan you're going to buy after you complete the class". All ours (the numerous times I've done them) have TW200's and Rebel 250's, but I hear all that is dependent on the region, which clubs etc can donate a fleet of bikes and so on.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Wow, I'm impressed with Harley for like the 2nd time.

I'm with you 100%. Related side note, a tricked out road glide is about as ugly to me as a Scion xB.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm with you 100%. Related side note, a tricked out road glide is about as ugly to me as a Scion xB.
There's paying for a brand, then there's hemorrhaging cash for a brand. Harley can mostly suck it. 80's Harley was cool. Stopped being cool somewhere in the mid 90's and gone downhill ever since. Pretty much as soon as Erik Buell stepped away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In February 2021, Buell Motorcycles announced they are back in production under the new ownership of Erik Buell Racing (EBR). Buell announced they will use the superbike platforms developed from 2011 to 2020 to build out their model line up to approximately ten models in 2024. The models will include variations for touring, dirt, adventure, and cruisers.

Whoa! Dirt and adventure???

Old 09-15-2023, 08:55 AM   #11

Free MSF courses in IL sounds awesome. Unfortunately here it’s all taught by private companies. So the cost is $300 for the MSF. Same price as taking the Harley Riding Academy course so if you want to learn on a Harley it’s a no brainer. That said in IL you need to look at your opportunity cost. If you want the free MSF course but you have to drive to the other side of the state in order to take the MSF course then you are looking at a hotel room and travel gas and food expenses etc. it could quickly add up to where $300 down the road at your local Harley Dealership might end up costing you less in the end. And the dealer might be like here the size of a small museum with free coffee on tap, billiards table and couches and even it’s own dedicated barber shop and tattoo parlor and if they are all like my local dealer you get a free Harley Tshirt advertising the local dealer at the end with your Harley certificate and MSF certificate to take home with you.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility