Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #16

Agree with the bead buddy and 3 spoons. Don't forget Windex or similar and talcum powder. I usually replace the tube at the same time. I'd also get the valve stem puller. And Bandaids. Plenty of Bandaids.

I'm debating changing the rear tire on my XS400 myself, but since I think that one will also need balancing I may bring it in and have it done.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRat
I recently changed the tires out on my Zong. I was still unsure if I was going to do it myself so I just ordered 3 of these

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...dFamilyId=3153

I was amazed with them. For $3 bucks a piece. They worked great and although I had never done a tire change before I finished it with no problem.
Thanks for the good tip, Bama! I really like the Tusk brand tools sold at Rocky Mountain ATV. Rocky Mountain ATV gets quality tools from Motion Pro, and other vendors, then rebrands these tools as Tusk tools, and greatly lowers the price.

The Ultra Light Tire Irons you bought would be excellent items to pack in the tool kit when heading off into the boondocks.

I should offer one caveat. If you are mounting an 18-inch tire with a stiff sidewall, such as the size 110/100-18, Kenda, K760 rear tire, you will certainly appreciate using the larger tire spoons.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #18

Woot! Got em changed!

Well, I changed over my tires yesterday... The stock rear Dunlop was just above the tread wear indicators so I figured it was time .

The whole job went smooth as silk, with the advice of everyone here and the videos that Spud posted everything went embarrassingly well! The spoons made a huge difference in how the job went... I can remember using cheap car irons to change motorcycle tires when I was young, what a mess! The bead buddy worked great too, now I finally understand its purpose!

So, I saved myself about $80 in shop labor by doing it myself, nicely pays for the spoons and bead buddy (and $$$ shipping!) If I had taken the whole bike in to change out the tires it would have been around $150 or $160, so definitely a worthwhile skill to learn .

Only bad thing was that Dynabead kind of jerked me around (as in I have been waiting two weeks for my order and they haven't even shipped it! Fellow I am dealing with for resolution seems very vague and not very helpful so I think I am out the bucks on that one! Luckily it was only around $16, so not too bad of a hit. The bike seems to handle well with no balancing but I suspect I will end up pulling the wheels and building a static balancer to check/balance them. Kind of a hassle because one company screwed up! I don't want to take any chances on uneven tire wear though, the Gripsters aint cheap!

So, a big thanks again to Spud and Doc for their good advice, all went well and I wouldn't hesitate to do more. The Gripsters look right at home on my bike 8)

Cheers,
Stew

Old 07-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #19

Good for you, Stew! Besides saving money, you also know the job was done correctly. Now you are empowered to change your tires whenever it is necessary, and convenient!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #20

Glad to hear that the tire change went smoothly Stew. I bought the spoons and Bead Buddy on Spud's recommendation as well, although I haven't used 'em yet.

Princess has a static balancing device that you might be able to use. Check out http://www.princessauto.com/truck-tr...wheel-balancer

Watch the flyers and you'll likely get it on sale. That, or you can ask for the last sale price and see if they give it to you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Glad to hear that the tire change went smoothly Stew. I bought the spoons and Bead Buddy on Spud's recommendation as well, although I haven't used 'em yet.

Princess has a static balancing device that you might be able to use. Check out http://www.princessauto.com/truck-tr...wheel-balancer

Watch the flyers and you'll likely get it on sale. That, or you can ask for the last sale price and see if they give it to you.
I'm going to build one of those spin balancers I think, I used the wrong word when I said static . I found one where they used skateboard bearings (cheap) and set the axle between those then just marked the light spots for weights.

The spoons and bead buddy worked incredibly well and I changed it just like the fellow on the video. I remember annihilating tubes in the old days with cheap car irons and screwdrivers, but these spoons make it easy!

Wouldn't you know it though, I put on a more street oriented tire and saw some really cool looking trails to the North Saskatchewan river on the weekend... Might have tried it with knobbies but didn't dare with the Gripsters! Durn, need me another set of rims like the Konker

Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
...The spoons and bead buddy worked incredibly well and I changed it just like the fellow on the video. I remember annihilating tubes in the old days with cheap car irons and screwdrivers, but these spoons make it easy!...
The proper tools always help to make a job easier. I also agree with Doug Schopinsky, from Bridgestone Tire, when he says, "If it's difficult, you're doing something wrong."

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #23

I have been breaking a few spokes lately. :roll: Therefore, I have also been changing a few tires! In addition to the tire spoons, and the Tusk tire bead tool, I really enjoy using my Moose Racing tire changing stand.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=45&zmap=19698

This tire changing stand makes the job much easier on my back, knees, and hands! I would never want to change tires again without this stand; this tool is well worth its price.

When changing tires, I basically follow the advice of Doug Schopinsky. However, I do follow the advice from Jay Clarke about placing the tube in the tire, and inserting the valve stem through the rim, before mounting the tire.

I have discovered if you have the correct tools, and the use the proper technique, changing motorcycle tires is easy, and fun!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #24

Changing tires is easy and fun? SPUD--- you need a nap

Ok with the right tools it isn't too big a pain in the ..... saddle.

Wait, Spud does your tire changing tool wear a bikini and heels, maybe bring you beer during ball games? If so I take back the above coment and would like to order 1 to keep in the shop (Mrs. Driller doesn't like my tools in the house) :wink:

Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Changing tires is easy and fun? SPUD--- you need a nap ...
I live a simple life, and enjoy simple pleasures. 8)

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #26

I change all my tires on my p/u truck, motorcycle, trailer, and also when I had my semi truck. A good way to break the bead along with good spoons make all the difference in the world. I don't do it enough so I'm not as smooth as the guys that do it in the shops but by being able to do it myself, I not only save on labor cost, but it allows me to purchase my tires from anywhere and that alone can make a big difference in selection and cost.

For balancing, I used to use a kiddie pool and a level, but now I have a bubble balancer/stand that I'm still able to put a motorcycle wheel on.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #27

man wish i could change my atv tires myself.. i have to pay 25 bucks a tire to change tires.. so a whole new set of tires installed is around 350 going with say maxx razors or itp whole shots..

Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1970
...by being able to do it myself, I not only save on labor cost, but it allows me to purchase my tires from anywhere and that alone can make a big difference in selection and cost...
Amen! I also get to change the tires when it is convenient for me, not the dealer. In addition, I know the the job was done correctly when I do it myself. When I first started changing my tires, I discovered the local shop had screwed up a tire I had them change previously; the kid at the shop couldn't get the valve stem through the rim strip, so he just moved the rim strip aside! 8O I was lucky that kid didn't strand me out in the middle of nowhere, with a flat tire, after the spoke nipples rubbed a hole in the inner tube! :evil:

Indeed, if you don't change your own tires, how can you repair a flat out in the boonies? Also, how can you properly inspect your wheel, and spoke nipples, if you don't change your own tires? Being able to change your own motorcycle tires is an important safety issue, as well as a convenience, and money saving issue.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #29

Thanks Spuds....

Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
man wish i could change my atv tires myself.. i have to pay 25 bucks a tire to change tires.. so a whole new set of tires installed is around 350 going with say maxx razors or itp whole shots..
Just learn how. You will save back the cost of the tools quickly.

For the car. My neighbor works at a goodyear. He mounts my used tires on his lunch break.