Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #16

The TachoAdapt thing was a Nogo. Not sure if the unit was damaged by my cdi but it failed to work. I wound up connecing the blue and white tach wire from the cluster to a charging leg, pre regulator, through a diode. Bingo tach is working..

Bummer is its reading x2, not sure what i can do about that, unless the cluster has a cyl count setting or the like.

The Xl500s engine is a beast, and Ive gotten used to the difference in gravity center.

Im still struggling with a rich burble just off idle, jetting in either direction with main or idle has no effect and needle position is not having an effect.

Im going to try a different slide next, I believe its a number 1. The mikuni im using was off a snowmobile and seems to just tip in really rich. she idles perfect. Revs right up, but stumbles with a blast of black smoke on tip in once warmed up.

Im still not forced to use the choke often so maybey a bit leaner on the idle jet, but im not sure..

The xl500s used a Keihin with 155 main and 35 idle..

I found a chart that shows 155 = 132.5 in mikuni but had to guess on the idle.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #17

Wow! i found this thread from doing a google search as i was trying to find the mounting pattern for the engine in the hawk as there are several cheaper donor engine near me that i kind would like to try in the future. Would be a fun time killer.

Really wish i just didn't let that DR350 pass me by. That would have been perfect. Small~ish, light dual sport with 6 speed transmission that can be made to make a lot of power.

Did you document the other changes to the bike like the forks and what not?

Old 02-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #18

I find this work impressive and intimidating at the same time...

Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwildman View Post
The TachoAdapt thing was a Nogo. Not sure if the unit was damaged by my cdi but it failed to work. I wound up connecing the blue and white tach wire from the cluster to a charging leg, pre regulator, through a diode. Bingo tach is working..

Bummer is its reading x2, not sure what i can do about that, unless the cluster has a cyl count setting or the like.
What dash are you using? Blue with white on Hawk motor is the + side of the pick up down by the stator - maybe you got the wrong wire from donor engine/loom?
If 1 cyl it should be fine and double speed kinda makes no sense in my mind as 4 cyl should halve the rpm.

What 2 wires you got coming from stator area? 1 is ground for pick up and 1 is signal thats the one you want assuming the dash wants that signal not the coil +wire signal - there is a difference

Old 02-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
What dash are you using? Blue with white on Hawk motor is the + side of the pick up down by the stator - maybe you got the wrong wire from donor engine/loom?
If 1 cyl it should be fine and double speed kinda makes no sense in my mind as 4 cyl should halve the rpm.

What 2 wires you got coming from stator area? 1 is ground for pick up and 1 is signal thats the one you want assuming the dash wants that signal not the coil +wire signal - there is a difference

I tapped the charge circuit pre regulator, through a zener. It fires once per revolution.

I plan to use a tiny arduino to read the pulses and supply one for every 2 to the tach.. Someones allready done to te coding for it the the little duinos are a couple bucks now. so should be a fun cheap little project.

I did document the suspension work, it all here somewhere, the forks and rear suspension are 1984 xr350. All Balls Racing can help you with a set of bearings to adapt many different forks to many other bikes.

Very handy.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #21

Great thread!

Old 02-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #22

This is an academic question, but, when is a bike no longer the same bike? My dad used to fly experimental airplanes and said that as long as the data plate was there, then the plane was the same plane. Soooo, if I cut the steering head off a chinese bike, with the serial numbers, and weld it to any other bike, do I still have a legal Chinese bike? And it stays a legal process? But, if I grind out the serial numbers of the older bike and stamp in the Chinese serial numbers, then I’ve crossed the line and have become an illegal? Btw, I love your project! Similar to things I’ve done but your work is cleaner than mine.
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 02-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #23

ive seen the police at bike rallys righting down both vin number and engine number to check for stolen bikes and bike parts so i think both should match or you should go to dmv and have the one that changed transfered to the title. maybe but i not sure. im going to go ask someday.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
ive seen the police at bike rallys righting down both vin number and engine number to check for stolen bikes and bike parts so i think both should match or you should go to dmv and have the one that changed transfered to the title. maybe but i not sure. im going to go ask someday.
Our titles here in Oregon don’t have engine serial numbers, so not sure how they’d figure out the bike had a different engine... or why they’d care... I get the VIN stuff tho.
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 02-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #25

hi guy, awesome bike! to let you know the wheels in the tt250 have threads for the sprocket, and are actually functional...... I somehow broke the hell outta the original wheel in like 3rd gear and had to replace everything because it chewed the living daylights out of it.

tt250 back brakes do not work, nothing matches fyi, so just use your stock hawk brake parts including the rotor.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensuBeanCartel View Post
hi guy, awesome bike! to let you know the wheels in the tt250 have threads for the sprocket, and are actually functional...... I somehow broke the hell outta the original wheel in like 3rd gear and had to replace everything because it chewed the living daylights out of it.

tt250 back brakes do not work, nothing matches fyi, so just use your stock hawk brake parts including the rotor.

yep, it finally happened, came out of a turn, got on it hard and it nutralled out. stomped on the shifter let out the clutch, nothing.. stopped and looked chain is on, sproket freewheeling on the wheel, studs all broke.

Ordered new honda parts including the bushes, but Im not feeling very secure about driving 38hp into that rear wheel anymore.. a 6mile push home will do that to ya,, if i had a bunch of zip strips id have tied the sproket to the spokes and put put my way home.. ah hidnsight!!

Iv'e purchased a used 1990 cr500 wheel, it has a 20 mm axle and the xr350 swing arm has a 15mm slot, so onto my mill it will go. otherwise im not concerned with making it fit. Iv'e done this kind of swap more times than I remember.

the cr500 wheel will definetly handle the power.

when you say tore up you mean the wheel hub? im hoping i can get these new parts in and finish the summer / do the wheel over the winter, but fear the hub may be torn up..

Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #27

I got the new bushes and studs in the wheel, and have the bike going again. a pack of zip ties in my bag to get me home if it happens again.

the wheel seems to weigh double the cr500 wheel ive been cleaning up.
that was a surprise to me, so now im looking for a front wheel as well.

i hope to get through the summer on this setup.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #28

Nice job and thanks for video and sharing! WOW!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".