Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > News, Support, & Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which Best Describes The Way You Browse ChinaRiders?
I use a computer (desktop/laptop) 100% 110 50.23%
I use a mobile device (phone) 100% 27 12.33%
I use a computer (desktop/laptop) at least 75% 37 16.89%
I use a mobile device (phone) at least 75% 14 6.39%
I use a mobile device and computer equally (50/50) 31 14.16%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Administrator

Question Which Best Describes The Way You Browse ChinaRiders?

Hey everyone, just doing a little 'research' for the site. Please participate in the poll.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Ipad

Old 04-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

mostly on the computer but have jumped on using my phone if I am out and about or laptop is dead and I don't want to get the cord.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #4

I absolutely can not view forums on a phone or through an app like tapatalk.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I absolutely can not view forums on a phone or through an app like tapatalk.
Me either. I use the desktop (computer)

Old 04-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #6

No option for Android tablet which is what I use most often. Opera browser. Can't stand Tapatalk.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #7

iPad

Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #8

Mostly laptop, occasionally a Samsung tablet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

I use an Acer laptop that I stripped Windows off of and installed Linux onto. It works way better and I don't have to worry about Windows spy tech spying on me and selling my info.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I use an Acer laptop that I stripped Windows off of and installed Linux onto. It works way better and I don't have to worry about Windows spy tech spying on me and selling my info.
Wow a fellow chinarider using Linux! I run Linux Mint 17 LTS. I run it on a lenovo laptop. Pulled the hard drive the first day. Put in an SSD and loaded linux. I knew I wasn't the only smart person here. LOL.

I use a samsung phone sometimes when I need my chinariders fix and can't get to the laptop.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #11

I'm running Mint 18 Sonya with Cinnamon desktop. I redid my son's Asus laptop with a fresh 7400 rpm HD and dual boot Mint 18 Sonya with Cinnamon desktop and Ubuntu. He updated windows 10 and got the death screen. Since his computer is low end without a recovery option, and unable to access the recovery partition, I just completely redid his system. Ubuntu is helpful with his school work and Mint is better for Steam and a few other game setups he likes.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #12

I'd be grateful if one of you fellas would start a thread on Mint. I admit to being Linux-curious.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #13

This should work on any WIndows PC laptop or desktop running Windows XP or newer.

There are videos on this on youtube. I'll give a quick run down of how I tried Linux Mint before installing it.

Pretty simple just to try Linux. I download the ISO image from https://linuxmint.com/download.php You'll need to know if your system is 32bit or 64bit. If your computer has Windows 7 or newer, it should be a 64bit system.

Next, I download pendrivelinux universal USB installer https://www.pendrivelinux.com/univer...easy-as-1-2-3/ It shows how to do it right on the download page.

I run the USB installer program and install linux on a USB flash drive. The USB installer walks you through the process. The only cost is a clean flash drive wih at least 4gb capacity. The USB will need to be formatted and the installer will do that for you. Any info on the flash drive will be erased forever.

To run the flash drive, your USB port(s) must be set to boot first before the hard drive or operating system. This is done in BIOS and is different between computer manufacturers and installed hardware. I search the computer model I am running the flash drive on, on youtube, to find out how to make the USB ports boot first. Once the boot menu is set to boot USB first, restart the computer, and it will boot into the Linux flash drive.

Once you're up and running on Linux USB, you can play around with it. It will ask you if you want to run the demo or install it. I demo, then if I like it, I install it next to windows except for my current computer and my son's. I installed them and let the flash drive remove Windows. I would keep windows for a while to be sure you don't need it for certain things that Linux may not be able to do. Some of the newer Linux USB setups will have the option of checking your computer for compatibility. I run that. I've never had any issues come back.

If you want to access the internet with the flash drive just set up your connection similar to Windows. It's a bit of a crippled set up. It doesn't have access to all the computer's hardware. It will be a little slow. It's pretty fast when installed fully. Since it doesn't interact with the hard drive, there's little to no chance of getting a virus or other info stealing bugs. When you're done, and shut down the computer, all the info on the USB is lost except the Linux version you installed on the flash drive. You can use it over and over. It can also be reformatted and another Linux version installed using the same method described here.

This method of running Linux from a flash drive can be done with most Linux versions. Mint and Ununtu seem to be the best supported versions currently.

Here is a list of the most common Linux Distros. There are some obscure versions out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._distributions

Once Linux Mint is fully installed, this site has the best guides in my opinion.
https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...cinnamon-first

Just a quick note. I see Linux Mint 18 Sylvia has replaced Sonya. I'll have to check my computer to be sure it updated. I'm on a borrowed laptop that I am running Linux Mint 18 Sonya USB flash drive while I await a replacment battery and charger for my laptop. Also, Linux is safer than windows, it doesn't require all those anti-whatever programs running in the background and slowing the system down. System updates can be set up to be delivered how you like them. I have mine set up to run at start up and I select what I want to install. Also, Linux gives descriptions about each update and what it will affect.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'd be grateful if one of you fellas would start a thread on Mint. I admit to being Linux-curious.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20921

Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post
I'll move mine over there.