Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #1

Linux instead of Window$

Starting this for the Linux operating system for computers. Linux is an operating system for just about any personal computer or laptop. I am sure everyone has heard of Google. Google runs Linux for their servers! Microsoft windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 are just operating systems. Linux is too. The thing that separates them for me is security. Linux is safe from just about every known virus, worm, trojan, and hacker that there is. I do not run any security. NONE. The best part is that Linux is FREE. No money is charged to own it, use it, or move it. You can install the same Linux Distro as many times as you want in as many computers as you want. Just try that with windows. It is also Open Source. That means you can do whatever you want to it and with it. You can go in and change lines of code. You can give it away. You can even sell it.

You can choose from over 100 versions of Linux. There is a version for just about any situation you can think of. Linux Mint is the one I use. It is really user friendly and is an easy transition from windows. Most distributions (Distros as the linux users call them) come standard with all the bells and whistles like an office package, web browser, media center and so forth. You can go to Distrowatch.com and check out the top 100. The list will be on your right hand side of the screen.

If you decide you want to try Linux, you can actually run it without installing it. That is right. You can pop it in and it will run just on your memory cards. Nothing gets installed on your hard drive. When your done, its all gone. If you want to install it, you can just click on the install icon on the desktop. It will walk you through the steps very easily. It usually takes about 10-20 minutes in most cases. Now there is another advantage of Linux. You can do what is called a dual boot. You can load Linux right along side of your windows operating system. If you need to run windows for some reason, just select it on start up. Linux just pick it. You can't run them both at the same time though.

You can decide which version suits you and download it. You can burn it to a DVD or send it to a flash drive. I would really use distrowatch to get my download. I trust them. There a several sites out there that sell linux install DVDs and flash drives. One I trust is OSdisk.com. I know I said it's free and it is if you download it. But some people have slow connections or are not sure about downloading. You can order it for a very small price. As of this writing Mint is $5.95 for the DVD. There are several Linux magazines out there too. Most of these come with a FREE DVD. Barns a Noble has about 5 or six that I know of. You can learn a lot from these.

There is a lot more to say but this should get you interested. I have used Linux for 9 years now. I will not go back to windows.

Last edited by Its_not_a_honda; 04-03-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

I run an Ubuntu Linux Distro and I love it.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #3

The way I got my start into Linux from knowing nothing at all about Linux or operating systems in general. I could barely use Windows and I started with Win95 I ditched Windows at Win 7, and I tested Win 10 on my son's computer. I hated it. Eventually, an update killed his computer. I installed Mint for him to use Steam on and dual booted Ubuntu with it for his school work.

Here's how I started.

This should work on any WIndows PC laptop or desktop running Windows XP or newer.

There are videos on this on youtube. I'll give a quick run down of how I tried Linux Mint before installing it.

Pretty simple just to try Linux. I download the ISO image from https://linuxmint.com/download.php You'll need to know if your system is 32bit or 64bit. If your computer has Windows 7 or newer, it should be a 64bit system.

Next, I download pendrivelinux universal USB installer https://www.pendrivelinux.com/univer...easy-as-1-2-3/ It shows how to do it right on the download page.

I run the USB installer program and install linux on a USB flash drive. The USB installer walks you through the process. The only cost is a clean flash drive wih at least 4gb capacity. The USB will need to be formatted and the installer will do that for you. Any info on the flash drive will be erased forever.

To run the flash drive, your USB port(s) must be set to boot first before the hard drive or operating system. This is done in BIOS and is different between computer manufacturers and installed hardware. I search the computer model I am running the flash drive on, on youtube, to find out how to make the USB ports boot first. Once the boot menu is set to boot USB first, restart the computer, and it will boot into the Linux flash drive.

Once you're up and running on Linux USB, you can play around with it. It will ask you if you want to run the demo or install it. I demo, then if I like it, I install it next to windows except for my current computer and my son's. I installed them and let the flash drive remove Windows. I would keep windows for a while to be sure you don't need it for certain things that Linux may not be able to do. Some of the newer Linux USB setups will have the option of checking your computer for compatibility. I run that. I've never had any issues come back.

If you want to access the internet with the flash drive just set up your connection similar to Windows. It's a bit of a crippled set up. It doesn't have access to all the computer's hardware. It will be a little slow. It's pretty fast when installed fully. Since it doesn't interact with the hard drive, there's little to no chance of getting a virus or other info stealing bugs. When you're done, and shut down the computer, all the info on the USB is lost except the Linux version you installed on the flash drive. You can use it over and over. It can also be reformatted and another Linux version installed using the same method described here.

This method of running Linux from a flash drive can be done with most Linux versions. Mint and Ununtu seem to be the best supported versions currently.

Here is a list of the most common Linux Distros. There are some obscure versions out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._distributions

Once Linux Mint is fully installed, this site has the best guides in my opinion.
https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...cinnamon-first

Just a quick note. I see Linux Mint 18 Sylvia has replaced Sonya. I'll have to check my computer to be sure it updated. I'm on a borrowed laptop that I am running Linux Mint 18 Sonya USB flash drive while I await a replacment battery and charger for my laptop. Also, Linux is safer than windows, it doesn't require all those anti-whatever programs running in the background and slowing the system down. System updates can be set up to be delivered how you like them. I have mine set up to run at start up and I select what I want to install. Also, Linux gives descriptions about each update and what it will affect.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #4

Good info. Ubuntu 17.10 has every thing I need in a computer OS. Thanks for posting this.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #5

I have Linux Mint 17 (not sure which version though) on a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 i have been playing around with, Biggest thing that has held me up on that project is needing to get a new battery for that particular laptop. Plus i think the next round of upgrades will include two SSDs. That is right two as i have the optional dual drive upgrade module for the Ultradrive slot on this laptop. Between the dual SSDs and the 9 Cell battery upgrade i should be able to get some decent battery life out of the unit.

I also have Raspian on a Raspberry Pi 3. I admittedly have not played with the Pi much yet...However that may change shortly as one of my android boxes is starting to act up a lot and this particular Pi has three operating systems on it. Raspian, Lekka (game emulator) and LibreElec (which is the base for Kodi in itself)

I still currently have 4 windows machines to mess around with (Two PCs and two Laptops) One of the laptops is an Acer Spin with Windows 10 on it and the other is an Acer Aspire with Windows 10 as well. However i have played around with the aspire a bit using a flash drive to experiment with an older Umbuntu distro. I may revisit that idea in the near future with it running a Dual boot of Win 10 and maybe Linux Mint this time on a 7200 RPM drive. One of the PCs has Win 7 SP1 on it that too may end up getting the dual boot set up after i switch out the drive for a 1 or 2 TB 7200 RPM drive. Keeping 7 on it though as i do enjoy using it from time to time. The big tower i am probably going to keep running Win 10 by itself.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Last edited by Darkrider; 04-06-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added more info.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #6

Darkrider you sound like me. I have so many systems I play with I've lost count. I even have a tower with a hacked xp operating system that still gets updates! I just play with Windows tho. Any financial stuff is Linux only. Linux works so good my wife uses it for everything and doesn't even know it's not windows.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post
Darkrider you sound like me. I have so many systems I play with I've lost count. I even have a tower with a hacked xp operating system that still gets updates! I just play with Windows tho. Any financial stuff is Linux only. Linux works so good my wife uses it for everything and doesn't even know it's not windows.
Guessing you set it up with an appearance that makes it look like windows I have read there are a few interfaces in the distros that can make them look like either Windows or Mac Os. Which brings me to a point. Another one of my computers is an older Macbook Air (2015 model). Playing around with the Mac has made it a touch easier to play with Linux as one is based off of the other.

In short i have the following setups:

Laptops:
Macbook Air (most current Mac OS)
Acer Spin 1 (Win 10)
Acer Aspire (Win 10/future dual boot)
Lenovo Thinkpad T60 (Linux Mint 17 Os currently)

Desktops:
Fbomb tower (Win 10)
HP DC5850 (Win 7 and eventual Dual boot)
Raspberry Pi (Raspian/Lekka/LibreElec)

Future build:
Thermaltake Core V21 case x2 (Modular system that can be stacked to create one larger case)
Dual MAtx boards
AMD Athlon II processor (Top half)
AMD Ryzen (lower half)

Undetermined OS for either half at this time. One portion may end up becoming a Plex server.

Edit: Now that i did a bit more reading about plex and learned there is an Addon for Kodi on the droid boxes to use Plex the chances of one half of the new build will become a dedicated Plex server.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Last edited by Darkrider; 04-06-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #8

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 with Raspian. I bought it with good intentions to learn some coding or use it like a Roku but never really got into it. It's sat in a box on a shelf for a few years now.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #9

I have a cool old cube tower that I built several years ago that runs XP, but it hasn't even been switched on in a few years. I think I'll format the drive and do a clean Mint install.
Any issues with wireless network cards? Are the drivers normally easy to find for Mint? I might be easily able to run CAT 5 to the tower, but I'm not yet sure. Even so, are there any difficulties in finding wired network card drivers?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I have a cool old cube tower that I built several years ago that runs XP, but it hasn't even been switched on in a few years. I think I'll format the drive and do a clean Mint install.
Any issues with wireless network cards? Are the drivers normally easy to find for Mint? I might be easily able to run CAT 5 to the tower, but I'm not yet sure. Even so, are there any difficulties in finding wired network card drivers?
All very good questions. My T60 seems to run fine on wireless. So one would assume that it shouldn't be difficult to get a tower set up on it with an adapter card.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
There are several versions that work well with older stuff. Puppy linux is good. You can do a search on distrowatch that will show you some that run on pc's that had windows 3.1. They use very little resources.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #12

My T60 was an Xp machine and it runs Mint just fine.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #13

I'm just going to do an old guy 'HUH' here and go adjust some points.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I'm just going to do an old guy 'HUH' here and go adjust some points.
You should prolly change the condenser while you're at it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #15

Quote:
I have had no wireless issues with any Linux installation. When I first started messing with Linux, I had to use a wireless card in my Acer Win XP laptop. It had no internal wireless card. It was an odd cheap netgear card to boot. Linux utilized it like it was built for the OS.

Just be sure to get the 32bit or 64bit version for the XP machine. Some people that built their own PCs opted for the security of the 64bit system. I don't know if you did that. Some higher end XP machines utilized 64bit versions.

This link is also posted above and can help with some driver issues. If you have them.
https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...cinnamon-first