Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #16

Did you pull the carb and clean it?

The slide needle position affects mid range fueling. If your problem is solely just idling... needing choke (more fuel) to stay idling... you need to check/clean the pilot jet in the carb. The pilot jet has such a tiny hole in it for fueling at idle... that it clogs easily from any rust or debris in the fuel... or clogs when gas varnishes (goes stale).

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #17

Agreed. It could also be that the pilot mixture screw needs to be tweaked a bit.

Darkrider, yes, the clip is within the slide on the jet needle. As RC says, it's for midrange.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
Did you pull the carb and clean it?

The slide needle position affects mid range fueling. If your problem is solely just idling... needing choke (more fuel) to stay idling... you need to check/clean the pilot jet in the carb. The pilot jet has such a tiny hole in it for fueling at idle... that it clogs easily from any rust or debris in the fuel... or clogs when gas varnishes (goes stale).

Cheers!
about all i have done to the carb so far is adjust the jet that is sticking out the side of it and almost had it idling that way without the choke. The carb had been cleaned by the previous owner of the bike and the bike was put away soon after so it has been ran maybe 4 or 5 times since the carb was cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Agreed. It could also be that the pilot mixture screw needs to be tweaked a bit.

Darkrider, yes, the clip is within the slide on the jet needle. As RC says, it's for midrange.
Would the pilot mixture screw be the one sticking out the side of the carb on the right side? That was the one i was playing with and as said had it pretty close to idling without choke.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 06-03-2015, 11:50 PM   #19

The screw out the right side with a spring on it is the idle speed screw. You set the idle with this screw. The fuel air mixture screw is on the bottom of the carb... facing down. Both main and pilot jets are inside the carb float bowl. Have to remove the bowl to get to them. Shut off fuel and drain the bowl with the drain screw first.

Cheers!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:56 AM   #20

Quote:
The fuel air mixture screw is on the bottom of the carb... facing down.
The location of that screw is enough to make you say bad words.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #21

Quote:
The screw out the right side with a spring on it is the idle speed screw. You set the idle with this screw. The fuel air mixture screw is on the bottom of the carb... facing down. Both main and pilot jets are inside the carb float bowl. Have to remove the bowl to get to them. Shut off fuel and drain the bowl with the drain screw first.

Cheers!
Damn it...looks like partial teardown time...joy...well at least it will give me an idea of what i will be dealing with on my Yamaha since its carb needs to come off as well to be cleaned up...

Quote:
The location of that screw is enough to make you say bad words.
and i suppose i cant set it to get it into the ballpark where it needs to be while i have the carb out for cleaning eh?
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 06-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
and i suppose i cant set it to get it into the ballpark where it needs to be while i have the carb out for cleaning eh?
After you have the carb on the bench... find the mixture screw. Carefully thread the screw IN (clockwise) until gently tight... while counting the # of turns. Write down this # (i.e. 1-1/2 turns, etc.). You will want to remove this screw for carb cleaning.

Now after carb clean/rebuild... when you put the mixture screw back in... thread all the way in to gently tight... and back it out the # of turns you wrote down... to put it where it was originally. If you need more fuel... turn out another 1/4 turn. Less fuel... turn in 1/4. You get the idea.

Cheers!

Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 AM   #23

Ok i had a chance to tinker on the bike earlier this week and if the mixture screw is the one i think it is...i can see why people curse about its location! Would it be the one thats kinda tucked into a notch at the front of the carb bowl and you pretty much have to take the plug wire off and try not to make contact with the header to get at it with the carb on bike?
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #24

That's the one. You could try one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Fuel-Mix...83fe7b&vxp=mtr

Old 08-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #25

Quote:
That's the one. You could try one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Fuel-Mix...83fe7b&vxp=mtr

Hmm may need to put that on my watch list...even though the bike doesnt have a Mikuni carb on it...
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Hmm may need to put that on my watch list...even though the bike doesnt have a Mikuni carb on it...
My bad. I forgot that your bike has the horizontal motor.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #27

Quote:
My bad. I forgot that your bike has the horizontal motor.
No worries, I do eventually want to get one of its larger brothers. I had originally got this bike with the intention of using it to teach the Fiancee to ride then we learned it was easier for her to fit on my old Yamaha DT250 dual sport...So i am probably going to be searching for another DT250 or a DT175 for her to learn on and that will more then likely become her main bike once she learns...Her learning on the DT will be easier to teach her because i already have my 250 that she can probably ride for a bit too.

So with that said i guess im going to be setting this lil X33 up for myself...Suspension height wise it seems to be about right though i would like to adjust the rear shock so the spring is a little more firm in the rear. More then likely will end up draining the front forks and filling them with heavier weight fork oil along with some PVC plastic pipe spacers to increase preload on the front springs. I was able to adjust the air/fuel mix jet with the aid of a pair of needle nose vice grips but i still need to set it up a bit better...so i will probably wait till i can pull the carb and note where i have it set now.

Other then that i will probably end up doing the following:

Bicycle speedometer
rechargeable LED lights (seen some awhile ago that are self contained and are bright as hell while holding a charge for about 2 hours of use)

Might research retrofitting some sort of charging system onto the bike to run a gel cell battery and possibly an LED light like a Rigid dually 3x3 cube light as a permanent headlight.

If i can sort out the charging system idea there is a slim chance i might be able to register the bike as a street legal super moto type bike. If i manage that one...well there is a damn good chance i may go looking for spare rear hub to lace up a 17" rim to...
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #28

You could solve the charging issues by Frankensteining a CG200 motor in there. That would be fun!

Old 08-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #29

I am jumping in on this late so sorry if it was already covered. Your bike has to have a stator and a cdi putting out power to your coil for engine spark. With a multimeter how many volts is your stator putting out? I would think all you need is a regulator if you don't already have one, a battery and a headlight. You can even skip the battery and run the headlight straight off the regulator like the old time bikes but your headlight will go dim when the engine slows down. You might be able to keep the headlight bright by using an led lamp instead of incandescent. I wouldn't install a headlight switch, just wire it straight in so it is always on if the bike is running. Keep it simple as possible.

/