Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

My 2006 Hi-Bird 200... parts bike

Well... it's getting deep around here! I found a local CL deal I couldn't pass up.

2006 Hi-Bird 200cc enduro. 90% all there, in pieces, good engine, 250 miles on it, w/ title... $100. Oh yeah!

Another low mileage enduro. Story on this one was the PO got tapped by a car and I think went down on the right side. That's where a little damage I see is present. Broken right rear turn signal and bent right-side louver/tank plastics bracket. It's also missing the carb (said it was cracked and leaking), airbox, rear axle bolt and rear brake hub assembly... lost those parts?? PO said he rode it another 30 miles after the accident home... so it couldn't have been that bad.

Looks to me like the bike had some yellow plastics on it... that were painted black. Mad max! And the battery box broke off on my trailer ride home... nice. It also doesn't have the rear fender mud flap where the license plate attaches. Oh well... it's for parts anyways.

I was most interested in the front wheel... same as my Kinroad. Hoping it's straight. Plus the tires are the same size as mine... so I have a spare hardly used set of rubber! And the plastic gas tank matches the mounting points on mine and looks a tad bigger... sweet! My Kinroad has a tiny metal tank. Plus a good, low mileage 164fml engine is a bonus at this price.

Who knows... maybe I'll find another one and from 2 make one!

So, different gauges on this Hi-Bird. Cool to have a tach... wonder how it's driven... electrically?

Is that a gear indicator lcd thing I see in there too?

And does this placard on the bike indicate off-road only??? I hope not.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 05-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

Why/how did it get all in pieces? Did the PO explain that? Nice find for $100.00.

/

Old 05-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #3

Ha... yeah... I didn't ask too many questions... not sure. But whoever did take it apart did a good job of not loosing all the bolts and whatnot. Except the rear axle and drum assembly... that seems odd to be missing.

Happy to say the engine is turning over via kickstarter... while I hold it. Seems to have good compression as I turn it over... very non-scientific. And nothing's broken on the engine... and it still holds clean looking oil... that hasn't leaked a drop yet. Nice.

Cheers!

Old 05-31-2015, 01:00 AM   #4

That bike was a steal. You certainly acquired much more than $100 worth of parts from that bike.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #5

Since you got a title, that bike could be turned into a runner. It wouldn't be that tough to find the rear wheel parts, either on eBay or Taobao.

That motor looks like new.

Yes, that's a gear indicator. The tach is driven electrically.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #6

WoW!! steal of a deal! Congrats.

Be Dragonized!

Old 05-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #7

Since that frame is a decent copy of an old XR200, you could even use the title to dual sport an old dirt bike. Using the frame of the Hi Bird and all of the bits from an XR200, it could be a fun machine. There is so much you can do with these bikes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #8

Thanks! Good tip, Weld, on keeping an eye out for a jalopy XR200... to swap onto this titled frame.

I have another option too. There's a Roketa DB07... with a seized engine and no title that I looked at a few weeks ago. It's rougher than the ad described and at the then-asking price of $500 was a no-deal to me. But I've watched as the price has dropped on it. It's $350 now... I offered $250 (no bite). I could swap that entire bike onto this frame and be cruising in no time! It has USD forks and a rear disc brake... so would have to swap triple-tree and swing-arm. Should be doable. I'm tempted...

Cheers!

Old 06-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #9

My parts Hi-Bird has a nice plastic gas tank. Better than the rusty metal on I have... and looks a little bigger. Uses the same locking gas cap too as my Kinroad. And has the same mounting.

I was checking out the rear suspension too. It has the more common pro-link style rear monoshock. Makes for a longer shock... but has a mounting bracket on the frame crossbar. My Kinroad does not have this mounting bracket... so even a swing-arm swap wouldn't work for me. Hmm...

Other good parts... has a good 17T (428) front sprocket... haha... just bought one... and a good 130 link chain. Also has a 56T rear sprocket... but won't be needing that.

Cheers!

Old 06-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #10

Wow would I like to find some deals like that around here. They list a used chinese bike 6-7 years old at 1/3 more than a brand new one sells for delivered to your home! Guess there is a lot of crack smoking going on in this part of the country.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
Thanks! Good tip, Weld, on keeping an eye out for a jalopy XR200... to swap onto this titled frame.

I have another option too. There's a Roketa DB07... with a seized engine and no title that I looked at a few weeks ago. It's rougher than the ad described and at the then-asking price of $500 was a no-deal to me. But I've watched as the price has dropped on it. It's $350 now... I offered $250 (no bite). I could swap that entire bike onto this frame and be cruising in no time! It has USD forks and a rear disc brake... so would have to swap triple-tree and swing-arm. Should be doable. I'm tempted...
Finding another bike without a title is a great idea! That would at least allow you to use your titled frame.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:36 AM   #12

Hi all you guys, I have had many issues to deal with in the last couple of years, but got my HiBird out today and got it fired up. No problems that I noticed other than rough idol.

Good luck with this project, and my question is who or where is the best parts place or site for these bikes?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Since that frame is a decent copy of an old XR200, you could even use the title to dual sport an old dirt bike. Using the frame of the Hi Bird and all of the bits from an XR200, it could be a fun machine. There is so much you can do with these bikes.
I found a bad-engine, totally in pieces XR200 for sale locally. What years would be a fit for this Hi-Bird frame? This one has a white frame on it...

Cheers!

Old 06-09-2015, 01:47 AM   #14

That depends on what you wanted to do with it. The frame is quite close to the '81-'83 XR200 (not the R version), but your motor would bolt into the XR frame, regardless of year, except '84-'85. Those were the dreaded twin cam models.

You might be able to swap the white frame swingarm and suspension over to the Hibird frame. I would keep your existing front suspension, because the XR has a drum in the front. The seat and tank could also be made to fit with a little fab work. From there, panels and fenders, and you have an XR200 clone with a Hibird motor and frame.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #15

tachometer...

Hello. I saw this post and was wondering about the tach on the hibird parts bike. Weld said it's electronically driven. I have the 07 QH250-gy, and I only have the speedo. Would be nice to have a tach, but I'd love to see how it's connected, and to what.
Don't suppose you'd put up a pic? or is it all apart?

Thanks and nice find... I'm jealous. lol

1985 Kawasaki Gpz 750 turbo
1983 Kawasaki Gpz 750
2007 Hi-bird QH250-gy
2008 Suzuki RMz250