Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

CDI 2006 Zongshen 200gy

I just found this site, but before I did, I had a starting problem that for me traced back to the CDI. I bought a CDI for the TW, but as many of you know, and I found out the wiring is not the same. The bike starts and runs, but won't shut down conventionally. I'm going to attempt to get the CDI for Zong, but in the meantime I was going to put in a switch to shut down the lead that goes to the coil. Is there a better way?

I also read here that this could all stem from the magneto/stator. I've read several threads here now, but am interested in the collective opinions and experience on this site.

Any ideas on which route I should take?

Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 AM   #2

Re: CDI 2006 Zongshen 200gy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggu
I just found this site, but before I did, I had a starting problem that for me traced back to the CDI. I bought a CDI for the TW, but as many of you know, and I found out the wiring is not the same. The bike starts and runs, but won't shut down conventionally. I'm going to attempt to get the CDI for Zong, but in the meantime I was going to put in a switch to shut down the lead that goes to the coil. Is there a better way?

I also read here that this could all stem from the magneto/stator. I've read several threads here now, but am interested in the collective opinions and experience on this site.

Any ideas on which route I should take?
Welcome to these forums, fellow Zongite! We are glad you joined us.

If possible, I would return the Yamaha CDI unit, since it costs about 4 times as much as the Zongshen CDI unit. If you can't return the Yamaha CDI unit, try selling it to the members of the TW200 forum. I encourage you to buy two Zongshen, CDI units from Zongshen America, so you will have a spare CDI unit handy. The spare CDI unit greatly facilitates troubleshooting the electrical system.

Indeed, the Zongshen stator is wired differently than the Yamaha stator, so the two CDI units are not compatible. Also, I believe the Zongshen kill switch grounds the output from the Zongshen CDI unit. Can you stop your bike by turning off the ignition switch?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

I only yesterday wrote to the Zong USA people, so I am waiting to here back.
The bike runs on with both the kill switch and ignition shut down. Like I said, I was going to figure a way to shut down the bike by switching off the lead to the coil. I'm also trying to find a late model TW wiring diagram to compare the wiring.
I have not ordered parts through the Zong folks yet. Is it as difficult as "people" say?
Will using the TW CDI damage the bike?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

I don't know about the zong cdi, but on the scooter ones it is just one pin that is grounded when a kill switch or ignition switch is used.

On one of the scooters this wire to this pin was loose an it would not shut off either. I simply had to push it back into position.

In other words. Check all the connections between the switches on the CDI. Make sure that the wires going into the connectors are seated properly.

I would start at the CDI itself.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

I agree. I think that all CDI's have a terminal that is grounded out to kill the engine. The trick will be to figure out which one. You're breaking new ground here, greggu.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
I only yesterday wrote to the Zong USA people, so I am waiting to here back.
The bike runs on with both the kill switch and ignition shut down. Like I said, I was going to figure a way to shut down the bike by switching off the lead to the coil. I'm also trying to find a late model TW wiring diagram to compare the wiring.
I have not ordered parts through the Zong folks yet. Is it as difficult as "people" say?
Will using the TW CDI damage the bike?
You can find the TW200 wiring diagram in the TW200 service manuals. I have links to the TW200 service manuals in the Zong Sticky I maintain at the top of this forum. The TW200 wiring diagram should tell you which pin to ground. However, if you can wait, I would suggest you just install a Zongshen CDI unit, and not bother trying to make the Yamaha CDI unit work. Since the two engines are virtually identical, I doubt the Yamaha CDI unit will harm your Zongshen engine. However, the Zongshen CDI unit is much less expensive than the Yamaha CDI unit.

In my experience, Zongshen parts are usually in stock in the Miami warehouse, at very reasonable prices. However, you need to exercise some patience, and persistence, to get your parts order filled. Keep contacting Zongshen America, and you will get the parts you need.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #7

Thank you

I currently have my kill switch wired to shut off the spark. Once I get the real CDI, I'll set it back to stock. I also noticed that my aftermarket tach was not working with the TW spark lead. I disconnected it until I get the right CDI.

Thanks for all the advice, This will be my #1 source for information.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #8

Re: Thank you

Quote:
I currently have my kill switch wired to shut off the spark. Once I get the real CDI, I'll set it back to stock. I also noticed that my aftermarket tach was not working with the TW spark lead. I disconnected it until I get the right CDI.

Thanks for all the advice, This will be my #1 source for information.
Welcome to The Cult of The Zong, Greggu! We are very glad you joined us at China Riders. I'm glad you got your problem resolved. If you wish to learn more about your Zong, I encourage you to read the threads in the Zong Sticky.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8673

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #9

2006 qlink xranger 200

sorry I am new here jus picked up a 2006 x ranger 200 for $120 the wiring is butchered cdi an plug are gone is there anyway I can make a 5 pin cdi work

Old 11-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed View Post
sorry I am new here jus picked up a 2006 x ranger 200 for $120 the wiring is butchered cdi an plug are gone is there anyway I can make a 5 pin cdi work
The Q Link X Ranger 200 actually looks like a Zongshen Sierra. If Spud doesn't come along shortly, please feel free to go over all of the pinned threads on Spud's Zong Sierra or just hit the search feature for the Sierra. Spud's a wealth of information when it comes to this bike.....so you found the right place! Welcome!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350