Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

1964 Chevy C10

I have previously mentioned my old Chevy C10, but I finally got some better photos of it and thought I would share...

It is a 1964 Chevy C10 Fleetside. My grandfather bought it in 1965 and ran a roofing business for many years. He passed away in the late '80s and it went to my uncle. My uncle let it sit for a long time. When I was 15, I asked him if I could fix it up and get it running again. It was painted robin's egg blue with a brush, and the bed was rotted out. I spent many hours sanding down that thick paint by hand. I put a quick bed in and my dad helped me change the clutch, but other than that it still ran great.

My high school graduation present from my parents was a paint job. It has faded over the years, but cleans up pretty well if I actually wash it. The bumpers were not painted, and desperately need some attention.

The engine is a 3.8L inline 6, and all original as far as I know. I use a lead-type additive to the fuel because supposedly the valves and intake components needed the lead as a lubricant. It has about 140k miles on it, and still fires right up every time, even after sitting for a couple months. Three speed manual, originally on the column, but changed to the floor soon after my grandfather bought it. I've had it for over 15 years now. I still get all sorts of comments when I go to Home Depot. And whenever my wife gets in it she says it smells like high school (I drove it my senior year of HS, which is when I started dating my wife). I really would love to do a full restoration some day. Maybe when my sons are older, it will be a father/son project with them...

My grandfather and grandmother.

These photos were taken this weekend. I hauled a scoop of sand (20 cy, about 2000 lbs...) for a new sand box that I built for the kids. Then I took down a tree in the front of my house and piled it in my truck to take out back to the woodpile.

And the sand box I built, I think it is pretty cool. My kids love playing in the sand. The lid folds out into benches on either side.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #2

Great pics. :P

An observation. Your dad had a great relationship with you. You have a great relationship with your kids. Theres a connection there and a lesson too. :wink:

I love the truck. There's a Wheeler Dealer episode where they restore a similar 6 cylinder. You may want to take a look at it if you can.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

We had a silver 66 c10. I remember riding with my brother in the pasture with a load of square bales. One fell off and bounce off the windshield. My Dad traded it for a 70s corolla.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

You just made my day, dmmcd.

I had several "wow" moments during your story. You sanded that old paint off by hand, the stove bolt six is still running (that's not really a surprise, I'm just glad it was never swapped for a small block), you dated your wife in high school with that truck, it's a rare small window '64 and you actually use it as a truck. I also said wow when you spoke of the folding benches in the sandbox; neat idea!

Thanks for sharing the pics and the background. I have a real soft spot for old C10's, and I'd give one much love.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #5

I was 15 years old when I sanded that thing down. For most of it I used a sanding disc on a power drill. I tried some chemical paint stripper, but it just made a big mess and still didn't take all the paint off. I tried an old sand blaster, but it made an even bigger mess and the windshield is permanently etched in some places where I didn't mask it properly. I used a wire wheel on the power drill for some other areas. Being 15, I didn't really understand proper respiratory protection and did much of it without a mask. Also without eye protection. When replacing the bed I was underneath trying to get at the bolts and got a rust chip in my eye which scratched the lens. That was a miserable few days for that to heal. Ahhh, the memories...

One time when I was driving to the train station to get to college early in the morning (I had an 8:00 am chemistry final) it was dark and rainy. I was driving down the road and heard a loud bang and felt the truck jump. I thought I hit a pot hole or something. I stopped and got out to look and saw some branches on the ground, and thought I must have run over a branch that I didn't see. I was in a hurry to catch the train. When I got to the station, I saw the bed was smashed way down and there were large pieces of tree and bark in the bed. A huge branch must have fallen from a tree, narrowly missed the windshield and cab, and crashed down on the bed while I was driving past. It was a scary moment. Luckily the homeowner's insurance of the property where the tree fell paid for the repairs.

My parents have lots of memories in that truck, too. My dad basically grew up in it, helping his dad in the roofing business. When my dad was dating my mom, they used to ride to the shore in the back of it.

The front quarter panels are actually fiberglass replacements I found from JC Whitney. The originals were rusted really bad. The fiberglass doesn't look too bad. There is some rust on the passenger door. The frame has some rust that I should probably address some day. I wish I had more time. The engine could definitely use some freshening up. It still runs great, but does smoke a little bit. Some day...

The sandbox design was borrowed from a photograph I saw somewhere. So the original idea is not mine, but I scaled it to my dimensions.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #6

In an afternoon, you could replace the valve stem seals in the head without removing it. It takes a reliable air compressor, a decent on-the-head valve spring compressor, a magnetic tip of some kind and some patience. That would likely solve most of the smoke.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #7

Thanks for posting the great thread, DM! I love your '64 Chevy C10!

I love looking at all thet open space around the engine in older automobiles. The engines could actually inhale and exhale without all the emission equipment installed. Also, you actually had room to work on the engine!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894