Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #1

American Lifan LF250-B parts question

Hey everyone,

I just got my bike, but I've got a question about it. The bike is supposedly an exact clone of the Yamaha Virago 250, and I've been wondering how interchangeable parts are?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I have nothing wrong with my bike at the moment, but knowing how interchangeable parts are (if at all) would be helpful for when something DOES go wrong and I need to replace something.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #2

I don't have any experience with your bike, but some pics might help. Perhaps we can identify whether the engine is a Yamaha or Honda clone. It wouldn't be the first time that a Honda clone engine was placed in a Yamaha clone frame.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

As requested, here are two pics of the engine, one of each side. Interestingly enough, when I went this morning to get a spare key cut for it, they used a blank for a Honda motorcycle. Dunno if that's indicative of anything, but it fit like a glove when I tested it out.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

Hmm... A little internet research is in order. That clutch linkage sure looks like a Yamaha design, as does the left side cover.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #5

The right side cover looks just like a 250 Virago. Note the starter, sight glass and dipstick locations.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XV250

Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #7

I see what you mean. I had read in more than one place online that the LF250-B was a clone of the Virago, but I wanted to ask around here and see if anyone had some insight into it.

I suppose if/when something on it breaks, I can always take it to a Yamaha dealer and ask them if they could check to see if the parts would fit. If it really is an exact clone, then it should be really easy to find replacement parts. If not, well, that's what the internet is for.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

I will admit, I don't know much about your bike. However, I wouldn't be surprised if your engine is an exact clone of the Yamaha engine. The engine in my Zongshen 200GY-2 is virtually an exact clone of the Yamaha XT200 engine, or the Yamaha TW200 engine, with a shorter countershaft.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894