Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Baja Dirt Runner 125

Im fixing one of these for a friend and i was wondering if honda sprockets and chain would fit? any of the baja parts dealers want an arm and a leg around here.

I was also wondering what these bikes used for swingarm bearings?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #2

Welcome!

A little research will be needed to determine which srpockets will fit. IIRC, the 125 Dirt Runner uses a vertical Honda clone engine, so that much will be easy. For the rear sprocket, it's a good idea to remove it and measure the bolt hole diameter, the center hole diameter, the bolt circle diameter and count the number of bolt holes. With that info, you can find a sprocket on the www.jtsprockets.com site, or one of us would be happy to help you if you're unsuccessful. There will be a match to that sprocket; it's just a matter of finding it.

The swingarm probably uses bushings comprised of an inner and outer steel sleeve with terrible rubber in between. I've been successful in taking one to the local motorcycle shop and matching them up with Honda or Yamaha pieces. The alternative is to have some made from UHMW plastic, but that requires a lathe.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, ive found the sprockets and chain for it.Im so glad this thing isnt mine, id be after sellin it long ago.The engines are built well but the rest of the bike is junk, and the cheapest ive seen one go for was $300 and it was beat and missing pieces, around here its better to buy a used jap bike.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #4

It's almost always better to buy a used Japanese bike, if you can afford one. That's the beauty and the dichotomy of China bikes; they're cheap, and they're cheap.

That made sense in my head.

Seriously, if you take the time to sort out the details and enjoy them for what they are, China bikes can bring many smiles.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
It's almost always better to buy a used Japanese bike, if you can afford one. That's the beauty and the dichotomy of China bikes; they're cheap, and they're cheap.

That made sense in my head.

Seriously, if you take the time to sort out the details and enjoy them for what they are, China bikes can bring many smiles.
I wish they were cheap here in nova scotia, im sure the bike will be good with enough money thrown at it.But thats the thing, with what the guy paid for it used ($750 WTF!) and the money it will take to fix he coulda had a nice used CRF, XR or TTR to name a few.

ATM it needs, chain and sprockets, swingarm bushings, back brake pads and bolts (they fell out!),the bearing in the sprocket assembly fell out yesterday.

In the future it will need rings as its smoking from the crankcase vent pretty good.

I wont bother tryin to convince the guy to get a better bike, it wont happen.I dont mind working on it, and im getting pretty quick now lol.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:54 PM   #6

I have 3 baja dirt runners

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRWK View Post
I wish they were cheap here in nova scotia, im sure the bike will be good with enough money thrown at it.But thats the thing, with what the guy paid for it used ($750 WTF!) and the money it will take to fix he coulda had a nice used CRF, XR or TTR to name a few.

ATM it needs, chain and sprockets, swingarm bushings, back brake pads and bolts (they fell out!),the bearing in the sprocket assembly fell out yesterday.

In the future it will need rings as its smoking from the crankcase vent pretty good.

I wont bother tryin to convince the guy to get a better bike, it wont happen.I dont mind working on it, and im getting pretty quick now lol.

this was so funny to read lol, but let me tell you something, these bikes are pretty easy to work on if you have access to the parts. Baja went out of business a few years ago, so now you need a caliper tool to measure diameters and you better be ready to count sprockets.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:58 PM   #7

Baja Dirt runner sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome!

A little research will be needed to determine which srpockets will fit. IIRC, the 125 Dirt Runner uses a vertical Honda clone engine, so that much will be easy. For the rear sprocket, it's a good idea to remove it and measure the bolt hole diameter, the center hole diameter, the bolt circle diameter and count the number of bolt holes. With that info, you can find a sprocket on the www.jtsprockets.com site, or one of us would be happy to help you if you're unsuccessful. There will be a match to that sprocket; it's just a matter of finding it.

The swingarm probably uses bushings comprised of an inner and outer steel sleeve with terrible rubber in between. I've been successful in taking one to the local motorcycle shop and matching them up with Honda or Yamaha pieces. The alternative is to have some made from UHMW plastic, but that requires a lathe.

This was super helpful i never knew about WWW.jtsprockets.com i still don't know how to measure the stuff well, and how do i shop for a dampner