Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #1

Tusk D-Flex Handguard Installation

Today I installed a pair of Tusk D-Flex Handguards on my Zongshen 200GY-2. Previously I had installed a set of Pro Taper SE ATV High Bend handlebars. While installing the Pro Taper handlebars I needed to cut about 1-inch off each end of the handlebars so I wouldn't need to lengthen my cables and front brake line. Therefore, the ends of my handlebars were open, and ready to accept the Tusk anchor bolts for the handguards. However, after cutting off the ends of my handgrips, I discovered the Pro Taper handlebars were slightly smaller in diameter about 1-inch inside the ends of the bars. :roll: Therefore, I needed to drill the inside of both ends of the handlebars with a 9/16-inch bit before I could install the bolt anchors inside the handlebars.

Placing the aluminum guards next to the handlebars, I found the best placement for the inside handguard supports.

At this point I noticed I would need to move my brake line to accommodate the inside handguard support on the right handlebar. After cutting the small metal tab in front of the banjo bolt, I was able to rotate the front brake line forward enough to accommodate the handguard support.

After test fitting the handguards, I also discovered I needed to cut the balls off the ends of my clutch and brake levers for the handguards to fit. I castrated the levers with my 4-inch angle grinder. 8O

I inserted the anchor bolts into the ends of the handlebars, and loosely tightened them.

I then loosely tightened the handguards to the inside handguard supports.

The handguards should be rotated about 10 degrees lower than horizontal, so one doesn't break his wrists if he falls over the handlebars. After verifying the fit was good, I removed the aluminum handguards and attached the handguard shields and spoilers. With the plastic pieces in place, I reattached the handguards and tightened all the bolts.

I like the way the black handguard shields compliment the aluminum handguards, and match my black handlebars.

I also like the way the orange spoilers add some extra color, and extra visibility to the front and sides of my bike.

The Tusk D-Flex Hanguards are very strong, and protected me well during today's ride.

I'm happy to know my handlebars, grips, throttle tube, levers, and hands are now well protected from falls and impacts with tree limbs.

I'm very happy with these handguards, and I am pleased to report they fit my Pro Taper SE ATV High Bend Handlebars very well.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #2

Love it Spud.

Never mind the quetions I asked in response to the parallel thread, you answered them here.

I was wondering if you needed to cut the levers to make it fit. :wink:

Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

Are the Pro Taper bars 7/8"?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Are the Pro Taper bars 7/8"?
Yes, I have installed Pro Taper SE ATV High Bend Handlebars on my Zong. The SE designation indicates the handlebars are seven-eighths (SE) inches in diameter.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #5

You can also purchase a "big bar adapter" to fit the Tusk D-Flex Handguards to larger handlebars.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...LEX+HANDGUARDS

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #6

Spud you need a new rear tire What area of Idaho is this?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTrack
Spud you need a new rear tire What area of Idaho is this?
I live in East Idaho.

The K760 TrakMaster tires continue to grip very well, until they are almost bald. There's still lots of life left in that rear tire. However, on a side note, I'm sorry to report Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has decided to stop selling the Kenda K760 tires. :( I guess I will purchase the K760 tires from another source, or switch to the Dunlop D952 tire.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220