Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #1

Rear tire change

I think you can say i've pushed my rear tire to the limit. My rear tire is BALD. not going to ride on it anymore, to scared of a blow out. (it's a little worse than that picture)

The new, costed $40 off of motorcycle superstore

Going to do it tomorrow after work, I've watched several videos so i'm pretty sure i know how to do it, i may do it indoors on my carpet, i don't want to bend the rotor. ill take some pics and show you guys. stay tuned!
2008 Ninja 250R Sold
1984 Honda aero 125 Sold
1980 Honda CM400T Sold

Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #2

You are wise not to ride on that bald tire, Gamma. It certainly could go flat at the worst possible moment, in traffic. 8O

What tools did you buy for changing your tire? I ride a lot, and change a lot of motorcycle tires. I'll look for your thread, and I will offer assistance if I am available, and you should require it.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #3

hey spud! Yeah, as for Tools, I have 2 Motion pro 8-1/2'' Tire irons, and a Bead Buddy.

I'll be sure to post any questions i have, hopefully none come up though, I'll review the videos a few times again tomorrow, before I go at it.
2008 Ninja 250R Sold
1984 Honda aero 125 Sold
1980 Honda CM400T Sold

Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #4

Changing tires is much easier when the tires are warm. If possible, park your car in the sunlight with the windows rolled up. Then place the new tire inside your car to warm up before you dismount the old tire.

Place the old tire on two pieces of wood to keep the sprocket/rotor off the ground/floor and to prevent damage to either of them.

Go to the auto parts store and buy a valve core remover. Remove the nut from the valve stem. Then you should completely remove the valve core from the inner tube before you break the bead on both sides of the old tire. After you break both tire beads, start removing the tire with the sprocket side down. You are much less likely to cut yourself on the sprocket if you first dismount the side of the tire with the brake rotor.

Removing the old tire with three tire irons makes the job much easier. You can buy a third tire iron for $4.99 at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...ron-93230.html

The job is easier if you pull the tire levers toward you. Therefore, after you break both beads, place the tire on the boards with the sprocket side down. Work on the side of the tire opposite you, so you can pull the levers toward you. Start 90 degrees clockwise from the valve stem. Push the bead of the tire into the dish of the rim with your knees. Then you can use the large tire iron to take the first bite. Hold the first iron in place, then take a bite with each of the two, smaller tire irons about two inches away from the last bite, moving clockwise around the tire. It's then very easy to remove the middle tire iron to take the next bite, moving farther counterclockwise around the tire. Continue to remove the middle tire iron, and keep taking bites until the first side of the tire is dismounted.

Reach in and remove the inner tube. Replace the valve core inside the valve stem of the inner tube. Then flip the tire over, and repeat the same process on the second side of the tire. Work on the side of the tire opposite you, so you can pull the levers toward you. You are much less likely to gouge yourself on the sprocket when you pull the levers toward yourself. Use three tire irons in the same method as described above, and remove the second side of the tire.

The rim is now completely inside the tire. Stand the tire vertical, and push the rim as far down into the tire as you can Now, holding the top of the tire, grab the rim and pull it out of the tire toward you. The job is now half completed.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #5

Dilute dish soap helps. Also talcum powder on the tubes.

Enjoy.

I HATE changing tires! :roll:

Old 08-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #6

Partially inflate the inner tube, but use only enough air so you can suspend the tire from your index finger and make a large crease in the tire. Partially inflating the tire prevents pinching the inner tube, but putting too much air in the inner tube makes mounting the tire more difficult.

Inspect the inner tube as you apply baby powder to the tube. The baby powder lubricates the tube, and helps to prevent flats. Inspect the rim for protruding spokes, and inspect the rim strip. Replace the rim strip if necessary.

Get your new, heated tire from you car, and apply baby powder to the inside of the new tire. Insert the inner tube into the new tire, and lubricate the bead on one side of the tire with Windex, or soapy water.

Place the rim onto the two boards on the floor, with the sprocket side down. Place the lubricated side of the tire on top of the rim. Pull the valve stem from the new tire, and insert the valve stem through the valve hole in the rim. Attach the nut to the end of the valve stem, using only two or three threads. Now push the inner tube back into the new tire. Next, use your body weight to press as much of the new tire onto the rim as possible, employing your hands and knees. Sometimes the first side of a warm tire will mount onto the rim without tire levers. If necessary, use your tire levers to mount the rest of the first side of the tire. If you encounter difficulty, make sure you are using your knees to press the bead of the rim opposite the tire irons into the dish of the rim.

After the first side of the tire is mounted, lubricate the remaining side of the tire bead which is facing you. Make sure the valve stem is pointing straight out the hole in the rim, and take two bites with two tire irons to the left of the valve stem. Holding the levers in place, install your bead buddy. Now take bites with the tire irons as you more counterclockwise around the tire. When the job gets difficult, make sure you are pressing the bead of the tire opposite the tire irons into the dish of the rim. Take smaller bites as the job gets more difficult. When about 8 inches of the tire is left unmounted, place your tire spoon near the middle of the unmounted bead, and lever the iron while simultaneously pressing down on the tire with your free hand. The new tire is now mounted.

Inflate the tire with enough air to seat both beads of the tire. Visually and manually inspect both beads to make sure they are seated. If necessary, apply more soapy water/Windex to the beads. You can also deflate, and re-inflate the tire several times, if necessary, to ensure both beads are seated.

After both beads have seated, remove or add air, as necessary, to get the desired tire pressure. I recommend about 26 psi as the final tire pressure. Mount the tire to your bike, and the job is completed.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #7

After you change several tires on your knees, you will be happy to invest in a tire changing stand. A tire changing stand makes the job much easier, and much more enjoyable.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #8

wow, spud, that was easy! i got it done in a half hour! Was WAY easier than i anticipated, i'm going to run to the gas station to fill it up with air, as my bike tire pump is crap. Ill be back with some pics possibly.

I used your "put it in the car" method, i think that made it happen with ease, wow that was easy. Only used TWO irons, didn't even need the bead buddy. Ill be back to confirm that it holds air!
2008 Ninja 250R Sold
1984 Honda aero 125 Sold
1980 Honda CM400T Sold

Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGammaGhost
wow, spud, that was easy! i got it done in a half hour! Was WAY easier than i anticipated, i'm going to run to the gas station to fill it up with air, as my bike tire pump is crap. Ill be back with some pics possibly.

I used your "put it in the car" method, i think that made it happen with ease, wow that was easy. Only used TWO irons, didn't even need the bead buddy. Ill be back to confirm that it holds air!
That's great, Gamma! Trust me, changing a warm tire is much easier than changing a cold one.

I strongly encourage you to invest in an air compressor. With some tires it is difficult to seat the beads of the tire. Also, it the weather is hot, you might need to apply more lubricant to the beads, and re-inflate the tire a second time. Given the rising cost of fuel, having an inexpensive air compressor at home will quickly become cost effective. Harbor Freight currently has several, inexpensive air compressors on sale. You can keep the 12V air compressor in you car to easily maintain the proper tire pressures, and also use this air compressor to inflate your motorcycle tires.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...m_source=1002f

If you want to do some air brush painting, et cetera, you can also get the 3-gallon air compressor which runs on house current.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html

If you go over to Harbor Freight, I also suggest you pick up a third tire iron.

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...ron-93230.html

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #10

Please give us an update, and perhaps a few photographs, after you get the tire inflated, Gamma. I think this thread will make a nice "sticky" in both tech threads located at the top of the Dual Sport Forum.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #11

Yeah spud, i do need a compressor, that one for my car would come in handy, I've seen them for pretty cheap (around $20) at a bunch of different stores.

I didn't need the valve core remover, i just let as much air out as i could with a piece of a pen, and set the wheel up vertical and pressed on it to get even more out. the bead seemed to take Very little effort to pop off. Honestly didn't expect it to be so easy.

Yeah i used soap and water around the bead to get the new tire on, and of course used some kind of powder to put in the wheel so the tube wouldn't catch or stick.

Here's some pics of the freshy tire on and ready to go, haven't even tested it out yet, going to do that now!

2008 Ninja 250R Sold
1984 Honda aero 125 Sold
1980 Honda CM400T Sold

Old 08-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #12

I'm proud of you GG. Soon you'll be ready to become a professional motorcycle repair technician!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #13

Well done!

X2 on the compressor. Also, a valve core tool makes the job safer (for the tube), because it allows the tube to inhale and exhale as the tire is manipulated onto the rim. They're cheap, and if you get the four tools in one version, they can also repair damaged threads on the valve stem.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #14

Nice quick work w/ the tire Gamma...how many miles on that baldy tire...my gosh I think I have around 5000 on my rear and it only looks half worn maybe even less???

Nice write up Spud! Of course warm tire makes easier install, but I would not of thought of it...or the hot car trick...work smart, not hard right? Nice!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider
...how many miles on that baldy tire...my gosh I think I have around 5000 on my rear and it only looks half worn maybe even less???
With the amount of tread that is still on the sides of the tire, I'm calling burnout.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer