Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #1

Weldangrind's First China Dual Sport

This is my first post in this section.

I drove to the lovely town of Squamish, BC after work today, and picked up a very ugly 2006 Roketa. There aren't likely to be many (if any) in Canada, since they were never imported here. The PO purchased it in the States and had it inspected in Canada, back when we were allowed to do such things.

This bike is uglier than five miles of bad road.

That said, it's a start. It will be used by Son of Weldangrind primarily, and we'll do some four-stroke touring together. We'll thin the existing herd by selling our beloved TS Suzuki bikes (two of 'em, anyway).

Here she was as I found her. Totally abused and beaten, and in the seller's words, "ridden by intoxicated seniors on the beaches of Mexico."

I think every piece of plastic is cracked on it, but I'm not worried. Replacement stuff should be cheap enough. I was kind of surprised that this 2006 model has front and rear discs, upside down forks and an OHC engine. I figured it would have conventional forks, a rear drum brake and a pushrod motor. Oh well, I'm happy. Here's the motor:

So, it turns out that the gentleman who sold the bike to me (on behalf of a friend) is a fellow TW nut. He has an awesome late-model TW with all of the popular mods / upgrades. I didn't get a really close look at it, but from what I saw, it's ready for adventure.

We're gonna stay in touch, and perhaps get together for a ride this spring.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #2

Congratulations, Weld! Your Roketa has the same front wheel as my Zong. Your bike probably has the same triple tree, as well. Perhaps your bike is the Roketa DB-07A? If so, many parts are avialable on the Roketa.com website.

http://www.roketa.com/product/produc...D=0&proID=2038

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

We were wrong on the engine. I thought it would have been a pushrod too.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #4

I believe it to be a DB-07A, because of the rear disc brake; the DB-07 has a drum in the rear.

I wish it had aluminum rims, but I can't get too picky. I checked out the parts list on the Roketa site last night, and they're stupid expensive. I'll be finding other sources.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

Congratulations!

It's like you picked up an abandoned kitten from the shelter, the bike needs love and then it will flourish!

You'll like the OHC motor. I enjoyed it a lot while I had the original Dirt Rat.. It revs better, and makes noticibly more power on top than the OHV version.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I believe it to be a DB-07A, because of the rear disc brake; the DB-07 has a drum in the rear.

I wish it had aluminum rims, but I can't get too picky. I checked out the parts list on the Roketa site last night, and they're stupid expensive. I'll be finding other sources.
I'm pretty sure you got a DB-07A. Besides the rear brake rotor, the front wheel is the giveaway. You bike employs the same front wheel as my Zong.

The Roketa wheels have steel rims. The prices might be a little high, but at least you can get parts for your Roketa. The Lifan owners are having a more difficult time. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #7

These were sourced from Shineray if I remember correctly.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #8

I love a good project! I have to give you guys credit... With all the similarities of these bikes, i can't hardly tell them apart. I think you all have it down to a science.

Congrats on the new bike, i hope you got the thing for a song and dance!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Congratulations!

It's like you picked up an abandoned kitten from the shelter, the bike needs love and then it will flourish!

You'll like the OHC motor. I enjoyed it a lot while I had the original Dirt Rat.. It revs better, and makes noticibly more power on top than the OHV version.
It's probably similar to the old XR200 engines, which I'm familiar with. Son of Weldangrind's buddy and I are building an old XR200 right now, using an engine that was supplied by the fine Mr. Katoranger.

I still have a high compression Wiseco piston for an XR, and I'm considering popping it into this motor.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
These were sourced from Shineray if I remember correctly.
That makes sense, since most of the Roketa parts sites show a Shineray bike.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #11

What gearing do you guys recommend for a 200 that will be ridden at around 55mph?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #12

Nice bike! Other than a few rips in the seat it looks really straight!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #13

Quote:
...similar to the old XR200 engines...
Honda manual ***FiXED*** http://www.4shared.com/office/xZy8oNOV/ (same bore & stroke)

Old 03-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Nice bike! Other than a few rips in the seat it looks really straight!
Thanks! Yeah, it seems ok, but I won't know for sure until I get it started and take it for a spin. I got registration for it today, so it's legal.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing
Quote:
...similar to the old XR200 engines...
Honda manual http://www.4shared.com/xZy8oNO (same bore & stroke)
That's exactly what I was looking for, but the link didn't work for me. Do you have another link?