Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #1

JS164FML 200cc Dirt Bike

This thing might have been a Dual Sport at one point in time, but my plan is to eventually stuff this engine into an XR 200R Frame. Before I go through that, I want to get it running just to make sure it is worth the trouble. Presently, it has no carb installed, and the wiring system has been cut, spliced, and who knows what. It has electric start, which I've been able to turn over by using my portable jumpstarter. I'm getting some voltage out of the generator, and have even managed to get a very small Voltage reading out of the Spark Plug Wire, but not enough for a spark.

I've been having a hard time finding a matching wiring diagram online, though the ones at hoopers imports did help me get some results. So here is a list of the wires coming out of the engine, along with the voltage readings I got while turning over the engine via starter.

Black/Red: ~75v
Black: 0v
Blue/White: 0v
Green/White: 0v
Green/Red: 0v
3 yellow wires: ~15v

The CDI has Jianshe JT0506 printed on it. A google search turns up nothing, but I also noticed the same name and number is on the solenoid. It is a 5 wire CDI, the plug has 6 slots, with an empty space between the Red/White and Blue/White. Here is a run down of the wires From left to right, top row then bottom:

Red/White
Empty Top Row
Blue/White

Green/Red
Green Bottom Row
Green/Yellow

Now for the Grand Finale, some pictures.

The last one is a shot of the coil. I think it is dead, but I'm not sure if I'm checking it correctly. There isn't much to tell me what is what. I noticed the two connectors on the back have a green base and a black base, but not sure if that has any significance. So far I've tried hooking up the CDI to the original wiring as best as I could based on what was left of the original wiring harness. Best as I can tell, either the CDI and/or coil is shot, and there may be some problems with the generator.

I have a Honda Carb that seems to bolt up nicely, so once I get my spark working, I'll worry about the rest. I haven't ran a compression check yet, but it seems to have enough compression.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #2

Perhaps this will help: http://forum.grasscity.com/photopost...200_wiring.jpg

The coil might have a bad wire or a bad winding. You can peel back the boot where the wire meets the coil, grasp the wire firmly and unscrew the wire. Once you do, you'll see a stud inside the coil that the wire screwed onto. BTW, this is your opportunity to install a better quality wire, like an NGK.

Once the wire is unscrewed, you can check both ends with a multimeter for continuity and resistance. Expect to see about 5K, IIRC.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip on the coil, I'll give that a try tommorow.

I've seen that diagram before, but nothing really seems to match up. Some of the colors are the same, but the connector depicted on the CDI doesn't seem to match mine at all. I'm kinda leaning towards just buying a new CDI and Rectifier, hoping it matches up a bit better to the available diagrams. I'm not convinced that the Regulator is originally part of the bike, as it was sitting on the XR200.

Nonetheless, I've got some friends keeping their eyes peeled for some parts bikes. Would you suggest Hooper Imports for parts, or would I be better off dealing with Ebay and hunting more parts bikes?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #4

Are you looking for a China bike diagram or an XR200 diagram?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #5

i'm trying to get it running as is, so for the china bike.

Isn't the CDI powered entirely from the engine anyhow? All I should really need to know is what wire from the engine powers the CDI, which is the output to the coil, which is the kill switch, and which is the ground, right?

I'm not terribly concerned about the regulator, headlights, battery charging, etc. There is no room for a battery on the honda frame anyhow.

Lets just imagine I want this engine to run on its own, independant of a frame.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #6

Ok, let's start with the CDI. Does it have two connectors on it, one with two terminals and one with four?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #7

The cdi is a single plug, 5 wire unit. I think I've found a replacement on ebay, contacted the seller and he assured me it would work.

Funny thing about it, all the CDI units I've found on the net have a different shape plug, more like what you describe, and the ones I've found that look like mine say they are for 100cc engines.

I included a picture of the CDI and Regulator, 2nd picture from the bottom in my first post.

Also I tested my coil as you suggested, and I believe it is shot. I was only getting 1.5k ohms. Think I could make something like a lawnmower coil work?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #8

I was suggesting that you test the coil wire, not the coil. I'm not sure what the values of the coil should be.

While you're buying a CDI, a new coil is a good idea, since they're cheap as chips.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #9

Yea I guess as far as CDI and coil goes, it doesn't matter too much what I get as long as it is AC and I can figure out which wire goes where from the generator.

I see what you are saying now about the wire, duh moment for me. I know there is a way to check coils, I just don't remember how. I went by the local Honda shop today, they test the coil and said it was good, and refered me to another local guy here in town, but I haven't had the chance to speak to him yet. I did stop by his shop and he's got some CDI units that look more like the one in the diagram you linked to earlier. Is that for a Honda, or for the chinese engine?

I'll check the wire out, I did remove it like you said, and I have some others I can try in its place too.

Yea I think I found a coil and cdi that should work on ebay, so I'm gonna get it ordered soon. Here is a new pic of the CDI with no wires.

So the next step after the ignition issues is my carb. I have a Kei Hin Carb, I assume for the Honda since it says Japan on it. I think you or another poster said it should work in the other thread, and I've loosely bolted it to the intake and it seems to slip right on. I was told it had been sitting in a box, inside a building for quite a while, so I figured I'd just spray it down with some cleaner and hook it up. I've not messed with the internals of carbs very much, but since it looks like it might take a while for my ignition parts, I might try to take it apart, clean it and put it back together.

Thanks for all your help and putting up with my learning as I go!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #10

The schematic was for a China bike. It looks like your CDI is the same as the type I've seen on small displacement horizontal motors, like this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CDI-Ignition-...c9514e&vxp=mtr Super cheap! Buy a few.

Take your time and you'll be fine cleaning the carb. Find a clean, stable surface, turn it upside down and carefully remove the bowl. You'll be greeted by the floats, the float valve, the main jet and the slow jet. Very easy to work on. Take some pics.

Regarding the coil, Jim brought his atv over to my place when he first got it, and it had a bad coil. I found a good coil in my parts stash, but it had a bad wire. After combining the good parts, it ran great.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The schematic was for a China bike. It looks like your CDI is the same as the type I've seen on small displacement horizontal motors...

Although the shape fits , the "curve" may not prefect.
Typical vertical:

Typical Vertical (OHC):

Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #12

The carb from my lifan looked just like the xr200 carb. I think the advantage to the xr carb is that you will be able to get jets easily. It will probably work to get you running.

Weld is right and that the carb is easy to clean. Not many parts inside the bowl.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #13

Wow, thanks for all that guys, looks really helpful.

Any comments on the voltages I'm reading from my generator?

Black/Red: ~75v
Black: 0v
Blue/White: 0v
Green/White: 0v
Green/Red: 0v
3 yellow wires: ~15v

The 3 yellow wires go to the regulator, its the one plug on the bike that wasn't butchered. It appears to be functioning.

And I suspect the black wire and the green/red are grounds, but it seems like the blue/white and green/white should be giving me something. Is it possible that my generator has gone bad? Any way I can test this aside from reading the voltages as I've done?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #14

an update

well, got the new coil and cdi units in.

Hooked up everything as best as I could based on the diagrams you guys have provided, and readings from my meter since not all the wires are matching up. It seems everything is functioning up until I actually hook up the coil. The wire that goes to the coil is putting out 60+ V, but when I hook up the coil I'm getting nothing. I suspect the generator is possibly wrong, but I'm not sure which wires should be supply what voltage ranges, as I mentioned in my last post.

I found a guy here locally that seems to think he can get it going so I'll probably take it over to him in the near future, this problem seems to be beyond my tinkering. Either that or I'll just give up and part out/sell the bike and use that money to fix the Honda engine if it isn't too far gone.

Thanks for the help and advice thus far guys, I'll check back to see if anyone has a miracle solution for me, and update again in the future when I figure out what to do next.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #15

you try can this, it is what i worked out for one of my projects:

motor: green white goes to chinacdi green - funny but seems earthrelated
motor: bluewhite to cdi blue - the cdi wouldn t get power without it
redblack goes to red (juice)
black is killswitch

yellows to regulator, could also be whites or pinks

cdi out has two wires: green (earth for coil) and yellow, which goes to coil (blackyellow).

all three green cables go into one (there is one unused one on the cdi on the 4 pin plug, that doesn t go anywhere).

i ll post a couple of pics tmmrw!