Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

KLX wont start now..

Hey guys, im hoping I can get some advice on my bike. Yesterday it ran and it got really cold last night. Im still a newbie to motorcycles and pulled the choke out to try to get it to start, Now its not even kicking over at all.Im wondering if maybe it could be my battery that is dead. Its not making an noise. is there a way to test the battery? Can I pop start it?? DOC??Please help I just got it and want to get it fired up and I vam ride with my new knobbies. Thank u all for our help..

Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

Do you have a multimeter? If not, you need one. Get a cheap digital multimeter at Harbor Freight; they're often free with a $10 purchase.

Set the meter to DC volts and measure the battery. I suspect that it's dead.

You might be able to bump start the bike. Turn on the key and the kill switch, get it rolling at a good pace, hop on and kick it up into second and dump the clutch. It should fire up if there is any power in the battery at all.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

Thank you, so far i found one of those multimeter at advance auto for $20. Harbor frieght is 1 hour away. I might even check out Napa to see what they got. It did the noise it does when the battery is dead and hopefully thats all it if.That ticking sound Now i go to turn it over and nothing happens , no not ticking noise . My lights come on my dash though. I just got my new tires for the bike and cant wait to test them.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #4

It's very possible that your battery is going south... That's when it makes itself known, when it get's cold out. If it's more than a few years old it's probably due for replacement. I've never gotten more than 3 or 4 years tops out of a battery, but my bikes only get seasonal usage and if I forget to bring them in for the winter they don't live long .

Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #5

Kicking over? Your KLX has a kick start? What year is it?

Do you have a battery tender type device? Is the bike stored inside or out? How cold is it where you live now (I'll guess pretty cold)?

Have you tried a jump start?

Without a battery tender, in your environment, I'd not expect more than 2-3 years out of a battery on a bike not kept in a (preferably) heated harage. My 2009 is on it's original battery still, but 5 years is on the long side of it's predicted lifespan.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Do you have a multimeter? If not, you need one. Get a cheap digital multimeter at Harbor Freight; they're often free with a $10 purchase.

Set the meter to DC volts and measure the battery. I suspect that it's dead.

You might be able to bump start the bike. Turn on the key and the kill switch, get it rolling at a good pace, hop on and kick it up into second and dump the clutch. It should fire up if there is any power in the battery at all.
+1 but to add you'll have to be in 3rd or 4th gear as the compression will be too high to allow the rear wheel to turn in the lower gears.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #7

Ya the bike is a 09 and im guessing the battery has not been changed. So i just went back out side after 20 mins. and the bike i turned the key and hit the starter button and it made that noise like errrr or whatever it is,, almost like its trying to kick over. So frustrating lol Does that sound like a a battery to you guys?

Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #8

Doc its a 2009 and its electric start. It has and opinionwhere I could put a kick start on it. But i dont need that. Just got those sweet tired and want to ride ughh lol

Old 11-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #9

Ya its 35 out today here doc and just wanted to do a few trail rides. its stired in a shed which is outside but like I said lol. Whats a battery tender? is that the same thing as a miulyimeter?

Old 11-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #10

It is totally the battery nothing more or less.

When you buy a new battery get a Battery Tender or similar and keep it hooked up all the time you are not using the bike especially in the cold weather and it will last you 5 years.

You'll need a plug out in the shed.

As a bonus you can use the connector for the BT to run heated gloves or a vest. If you are on a tight budget the best bang for the buck on keeping warms is snomobile type mittens ($20 for a decent pair) and chemical hand warmers (about $1/pair).

A multimeter is an instrument for checking voltage and impedence. A battery tender is a self controlled trickle battery charger/maintainer.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT for a bike kept more or less outside in a cold moist climate run STABIL or similar ALL WINTER especially if you are not riding a lot or you'll gum up the carb from sitting. This is especially true with alcohol containing crap-gas.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

Read up on www.dansmc.com about winter motorcycle storage for more info :-)

Old 11-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #12

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT for a bike kept more or less outside in a cold moist climate run STABIL or similar ALL WINTER especially if you are not riding a lot or you'll gum up the carb from sitting. This is especially true with alcohol containing crap-gas.[/QUOTE]

Is this like GUMOUT?? Never heared of Stabil, but im writting this all down and going to myadvance auto parts to get most of it i hope

Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Read up on www.dansmc.com about winter motorcycle storage for more info :-)
Thanks Doc, Im so glad there are such great people like yourself on this board i have learned so much so far and im still a newbie but its exciting...

Old 11-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #14

Happy to help.

Stabil is a fuel additive that will help keep stale fuel from clogging your carb through winter moisture and lack of use. It also helps reduce some of the misery that government mandated kickback rich alcohol causes to your fuel system.

It's regular use will save a lot of grief. About 30-60/ml per tankful and you'll be safe.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #15

If the prior owner of Roger's WR used Stabil he's be riding his bike this week rather than spending a couple hundred dollars having the mechanic removing and ultrasound-bathing the carb, flushing the tank and replacing the fuel lines. It also would have saved me a few hours working on it as well.