Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #1

Tire Options kinda suck for rock tires

My ATA-250D has 23x7-10 front tires and 22x10-10 rear tires so both front and rears are on 10" diameter wheels. The sizes don't provide much for good tires. Wanted to buy Maxxis Bighorns or Pitbull Rockerwhatevers but they are all too large in diameter and don't cover our little wheels.

Looking online for good rock terrain tires, the wheel size becomes a problem. I don't mind dropping down an inch maybe in tire overall height, but I don't want to raise the tire size in diameter and effectively increase gear ratio (lower numerically).

So does anyone know if a 22x11"wide-10 will fit and work well on the rear 22x10-10 stock size? So run an extra 1"wide tire on same wheel size as stock. Anyone doing this? how about 2" extra width on same wheel?

With not much to choose from, now looking at Carlisle All Trail (never would have considered before) but considering their 22x11-10 in replacement for my rear 22x10-10. Another option is to do same but with Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 22x12-10. Not sure if our wheels can handle the extra 2" width on same wheel. Running 5-8 psi makes me wonder if I'll have a problem holding the bead airtight.

And for fronts, Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 23x7-10 which is a like for like replacement in size.

Got some Gemplers Ultraseal Pink tire sealant on the way.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

It sounds like it would be easier to find a more common rim diameter that matches the existing bolt circle.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
It sounds like it would be easier to find a more common rim diameter that matches the existing bolt circle.
I'm not for certain but I think 12x7 and 14x7 are more common larger sizes, but I don't want to drastically change the effective gear ratios. But I don't think going to the Bighorns or Pitbull Rockers will be an option for this machine without doing that.

Kendra Bear Claws will likely be the ones I go with unless I hear that the Carlisle AT Trail is decent for rocks, then use those on rear only in larger width.

I need to look at the front wheels again but I seem to recall the brake drums may have been part of the front wheel, unless its a separate bolt on piece.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

I'll be interested in hearing about what you decide on.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer