Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

RX3: Lowering Front End 1/2"

Here are a few pics I took to illustrate the process. This may help out shorter riders if they need an extra 1/2". There are marks on the top of the fork tubes that allow you to line up both tubes but be careful not to let the tube caps touch the handlebars. You may be able to squeeze an extra 1/4" or more if you have bar risers but just under the upper clamp the tubes step up in size and would eventually stop moving up through the clamps. The bottom clamp is fine with no steps to the tubes, smooth all the way down. I had already lowered my wife's RX3 and had private messages asking how to do this adjustment so I broke it down again for illustration purposes. I hope this helps, my wife is getting pretty close to flat foot, one heal up and one flat she is 5'2" with around a 29" inseam. Measuring her inseam was the best part of this whole exercise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front forks before lowering.jpg (97.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Front forks after lowering .5 inches.jpg (93.2 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg Upper tripple clamp bolts.jpg (93.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Lower tripple clamp bolts.jpg (94.1 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by Tiger12XC; 10-26-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #2

Nice write up. Did you lower the back end at all? Using lowering links I see they have for sale now? thanks,rj

Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Nice write up. Did you lower the back end at all? Using lowering links I see they have for sale now? thanks,rj
Thanks RJ
We adjusted the rear spring tension which allowed the hiked up rear end to settle down a bit. The rear suspension was way stiffer than she needed. In stock form she could jump her full weight onto the seat and the suspension would not compress. Very very stiff for a smaller person. Now its near perfect but we will still install the lowering link as I would like to achieve the lowered state with a link rather than running the spring up the shock body. She was not fond of being launched off of the seat when hitting a bump.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #4

Thanks for posting the excellent photos, Tiger.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for posting the excellent photos, Tiger.
Thanks Spud
I tried to loosen these bolts with a regular allen wrench and almost pulled the fingers right off my hand. They are tights or at least one on each clamp was tight the other on each clamp was loose. You will want to use a long ratchet or something to get leverage. I checked my RX3 after noticing one bolt on each clamp was loose on my wife's RX3 and I also had one on each clamp looser than the other. Check your triple clamp bolts. The white marks indicated that they have not turned I think that they didn't check the first bolt again after torquing the second bolt. Good idea to go back and forth on these bolts as they where loose enough to eventually back out over time.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

Yes, I noticed the difference in bolt tightness when I removed the forks, and changed the fork oil. You make an excellent point. I strongly suggest that everyone to check the tightness of the fork bolts.

I wouldn't trust the witness marks. I have heard some of the Chinese factory workers don't understand the purpose of witness marks, and just apply the marks to the bolts before they install them. Also, I wouldn't assume the fork bolts are torqued properly at the factory, even when tight.

When I re-installed the forks after changing the fork oil, I applied loctite, and torqued each bolt to 15 foot-pounds. I chose this value after consulting the service manuals for my two Honda motorcycles.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 10-26-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

Great info Tiger12XC, thanks for the heads-up on the bolts.
www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Old 10-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #8

i've done this job in other bikes but is good to know the zong's bars have those marks.
Thanks for posting!

Old 10-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepua View Post
i've done this job in other bikes but is good to know the zong's bars have those marks.
Thanks for posting!
Yep. I used to do this to my Husky when I'd race one particular local track that had short straights and very tight corners. It would tighten the rake for bashing and squaring off a berm.
If we go with the RX3 in the Spring, my wife is 5'6" so she should be ok.....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350