Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Seat Height Differences

I'm looking at various distributors and seeing quite a variation in seat heights from 28 to 35. As I'm 6 ft tall and 33 inseam, I'm concerned with the shorter ones. any experiences out there that could help me?

Old 01-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #2

seat height

if u go to youtube and search the hawk you'll find a vid of a guy 6"1 riding it and see how it fits him. search csc tt250 and you'll see a 6"1 guy riding that bike in the dirt, and joe who is a lot shorter, climbing on it in another vid shot in the shop. dunno bout the bashan storm but i assume there is a video out there somewhere giving you an idea.
I am just a hair under 6'3" and the hawk is "trailbike" size for me, will probably be a bit cramped for any real distance on road, but for dirt trail riding feels about like a stout mountain bike for me, but then my references are much bigger bikes, i.e t-bird Lt, ducati 900, kawa klrs etc.
Don't get me wrong, bought one for trail so small size and relatively light weight was what i was looking for. very little round here is not sharp rock, or golfball sized gravel over sharp ass rock! you go down, it hurts, a lot!! so light and maneuverable works for me. have yet to see an "adventure" bmw out where i ride:}
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 01-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #3

the tough part is how much to trust the seat hight specs on various sites. I'd really like to get the Storm model as I like the USD fork design, but all of them list the seat about 28-29. conversely, the hawk is cheaper and lists seat height anywhere from 31-35. there is a Hawk dealer close by and I am going to take a look at it this weekend.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
I'm looking at various distributors and seeing quite a variation in seat heights from 28 to 35. As I'm 6 ft tall and 33 inseam, I'm concerned with the shorter ones. any experiences out there that could help me?
If you want a taller bike, you definitely should consider the Hawk models which have the larger wheels.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
If you want a taller bike, you definitely should consider the Hawk models which have the larger wheels.
Am I right in my research that the Storm with the 19/17 is just a shorter seat height? BTW...it's not that I WANT a taller bike, I just want a bike tall enough to have leg room.

if I need to go the Hawk route, is there some aftermarket parts easy enough to source? I'd like to have the rear rack in particular.

more search time!

Old 01-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Am I right in my research that the Storm with the 19/17 is just a shorter seat height? BTW...it's not that I WANT a taller bike, I just want a bike tall enough to have leg room.

if I need to go the Hawk route, is there some aftermarket parts easy enough to source? I'd like to have the rear rack in particular.

more search time!
I believe you are correct, but the Bashan owners can give you the definitive answer. Regarding parts for the Hawk, you might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15760

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
I've got the Bashan Storm. I'll go measure it tonight and post the seat height. It seems taller than 28" to me.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:19 PM   #8

I'm 5'7" with a 30 inch inseam. The Bashan 250 fits me perfect. Nice plush seat too. A friend of mine who is 6' rode it and liked it. The foot pegs are a bit forward, so it feels better for taller folks.

The Storm has a 12 liter fuel tank. That is a good thing.

On some bikes the seat height may be 35, but when a heavier person sits on it the springs will compress considerable.

The tire/wheel size does make a difference. Especially since it seems the used the same speedo on the ones with the 18/21 combo and did not change the speedo drive. My bike always reads considerable faster than I am going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bashan-250-me-1a.jpg (98.8 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150407_181028.jpg (98.0 KB, 400 views)
Be a Piggy!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 PM   #9

thanks for all your help and input guys. it's greatly appreciated.

I have found this one which I am considering. it's 21/18 and 31 inch seat height. it has the rack on the back which is a minor plus to me. drawback is it's drum brakie in the rear. that any cause for concern? I have not owned a rear drum brake since my 1975 Yamaha XS500. it's been too long ago to even remember anything about it. generally I'm not overly worried about it, but any thoughts?

Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I believe you are correct, but the Bashan owners can give you the definitive answer. Regarding parts for the Hawk, you might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15760
thanks spud. I did find that one. it didn't give any info about the possibility of a rear rack on a hawk though. I am kinda leaning toward the Roketa type 41 hawk and will find some way to build or adapt a rack to it.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
thanks for all your help and input guys. it's greatly appreciated.

I have found this one which I am considering. it's 21/18 and 31 inch seat height. it has the rack on the back which is a minor plus to me. drawback is it's drum brakie in the rear. that any cause for concern? I have not owned a rear drum brake since my 1975 Yamaha XS500. it's been too long ago to even remember anything about it. generally I'm not overly worried about it, but any thoughts?
Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about the drum brake. My Zongshen Sierra (ZS200GY-2) has a drum brake, and it works well.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #12

Nor would I. My TW200 has a rear drum brake, and they still make them that way today.

In fact, My TW has a front drum brake as well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #13

drum brakes work very well except at dissipating heat. so if you aren't doing repeated high speed slows or dragging it down a maintain highway then it should be very good.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 01-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
drum brakes work very well except at dissipating heat. so if you aren't doing repeated high speed slows or dragging it down a maintain highway then it should be very good.
that's what front brakes are for!

Old 01-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #15

Razz brakes

you guys use brakes???
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking