Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

New Hobby 1976 MGB Roadster

So my wife had an accident and the little Chevy Cobalt suffered so much damage that it was totaled. She's fine (the wife). Really a minor indecent, just veered to far right on a spot of road that happened to not have any shoulder and a very steep embankment.

Here's where she left the road, you can see the trail the car left in the weeds:

And, here's the car:

She's been driving my truck ever since leaving me without a car. Once I got the check from the insurance I started shopping for a used car. Well it seems there are no cars in the Midwest that run or have less than 180,000 miles on them for less than $4,000. The crap that's out there is just amazing. I don't really mind a high-mileage car, but things are going to brake and I want to be able to fix them myself and not have to damn near pull an engine to just change a timing belt (most of the cars I looked at had timing belts that should have been changed at 100,000 miles, most were pushing over a 150,00 and not been changed).

So I started looking a "classics" and I found this 1976 MG B with less than 25,000 miles on it. The guy had listed for $4500 but after about a week, he had dropped the asking price to $3700. I got it for $3400 and you'd have to hit me with a 2X4 to get the grin off my face.

It's not the most practical car, I'll admit that. It does have some "Lucas" electrical gremlins with the temp and fuel gauge and it's a bit buzzy at 75MPH (4 speed, no overdrive). But damn, is it fun. I've always admired the Triumph Spitfire, GT6+, and TR6, but haven seen one for sale. So I think, this MGB is as close as I'll get.

It's been de-smogged and retrofitted with dual carbs.

My carbs were actually way older than the car itself and due for a rebuild. I ended up with a shiny set of "re manufactured" SUs I found on ebay. Looks the business now. LOL.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #2

My wife decided she wanted a convertible too. We found this 2000 Chrysler Sebring and used the rest of the insurance money to get it and fix it up.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

I have never owned or even ridden in one but have always loved the MG/Bs. Congrats! That is extreme low mileage, was any explanation given?

/

Old 01-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #4

I used to ride to night school in one around 63 64. Really stiff suspension and the side force on cornering was strong. I could never understand why it didn't roll over as it was so narrow. The driver liked to do square corners.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

Dang! Nice! My X wife long ago wanted to buy a 1970 from a work friend (chrome bumpers, spoke wheels with knock-offs) and I SWORE UP AND DOWN NOT TO GET IT! Of course, it landed in my driveway anyway. Against all odds, it didn't give me a lick of trouble! I was so paranoid of that car I popped the hood every day to make sure everything was good, but it treated me well for the time we had it....and truth be told, I loved driving it. Of course I had to go and buy the proverbial English flat cap to wear.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #6

That's a nice little convertible.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #7

Nice.

I had a 64 Midget that, if I knew then what I know, I'd still have it. An absolute ball to drive once the Lucas stuff was sorted.

A Lucas headlight switch has three positions, OFF, DIM, FLICKER.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #8

Great to see one of the British Classics being well looked after!

They are still a sort after car in UK but with our set weather in UK they do tend to be rust ridden.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #9

Most are rust ridden in the US too unless you find one from the dry zones. I have always wanted a convertible.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #10

My wife loves the British sports cars. She drove a Triumph Spitfire for a few years (and became a pretty good wrench by necessity).

Old 01-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #11

Thanks for the pics! I hope you enjoy your new toy. Do you plan to work with the Lucas stuff, or rewire?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #12

The guy I got it from inherited from his father. The car was in Oregon for most of its life and obviously not driven much. There's no rust and it is nice and clean underneath.

Not sure how long the father had it. When he passed, the son had it shipped out here to Kansas. He put on new brake hoses, master cylinder, fuel pump, fuel lines and hoses. He had the car for a few years but decided to part with it and make room for a project Mustang that he was much more interested in.

I don't doubt the odometer. It would be nice to have a paper trail of the mileage, but the car is in such good shape I just don't see it having more miles on it than it says.

These cars aren't really all that collectible. The earlier "chrome bumper" (pre 74 U.S) are more sought after. Most people think the rubber bumpers spoiled the look of the car. That, and they had to raise the car about an inch and half to meet U.S. safety standards, which upset the handling. And all the smog equipment drug the 1.8 liter engine down to about 68 BHP. All that's been removed from this one and with the dual carbs it should be putting out closer to the 100 BHP of the earlier versions.

For me, it's fine. I actually appreciate the ground clearance because live off a gravel road.

The only electrical changes that I would like to make it to put in a GM alternator and electronic ignition. I got the temperature gauge working, it was just the sending unit. The fuel gauge is still not reading, looks like the sending unit, because it moves just a tiny bit.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #13

100hp in that car probably moves it well.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #14

A GM 10si alternator would be a good move. Cheap as chips, rebuildable and very reliable.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

Lovely car. One of my favorite MG colors, right up there with BRG.

Looks like an excellent price.

That little Chevy gave itself up for your wife's health. Good little car in my book.

When I was younger my car addictions of choice were Italian. When I was working on a Fiat or Lancia, I consoled myself by remembering that the guys with the British cars had it worse ;-)