Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2016, 12:40 AM   #1

Performance Exhaust

Has anyone thought about adding a more free flowing exhaust?
I have seen one video on YouTube showing an Akropovic slip-on on an RX3
Thinking about going to Leo Vinci, as there are local to me to see if they had anything that might work as a slip-on

Old 02-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #2

I don't think there's anything that's going to be a slip-on fit for the RX3. Not yet, anyway. CSC is developing a free flow muffler that should be available soon, so that's probably the only source of "plug and play" slip on mufflers you might find.

I am the guy with the Akrapovic muffler. If you're going to go with a Leo Vinci or any other (Yoshi, etc.), look for a muffler for a Honda CBR 250R as a base. The displacement is nearly the same as the RX3's, so the muffler should perform about as well. The only thing to watch out for is the mid-pipe and lengthening it. I had to add 8 inches of pipe to the mid-pipe in order to make it back to the muffler inlet. And even then, I had precious little room to work with given the 1.75" diameter tubing. It runs VERY close to the rear brake master cylinder and the fuel evaporative canister. I wrapped the extended mid-pipe in header wrap to keep the brake fluid from boiling, melting wires, or melting the eval canister.

Having said all that... I think the stock muffler is really not that restrictive, even with the catalyst in place. I like the tone of the Akrapovic muffler (especially with the insert removed), and that's reason enough for me to have changed the muffler. But it's a lot of money to spend for just tone, and not a lot of power increase.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #3

Ok
Good to know
Since Leo Vinci is close, can't hurt to ask
But I will also wait to see what CSC might come up with

Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleong1967 View Post
Ok
Good to know
Since Leo Vinci is close, can't hurt to ask
But I will also wait to see what CSC might come up with
Perhaps Leo Vinci is interested in using your bike as a test bed.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #5

Maybe when the time come and my bike arrives (crossing my fingers) by the end of February
I will take it over to them and see if they would consider making a prototype for our bikes.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Maybe when the time come and my bike arrives (crossing my fingers) by the end of February
I will take it over to them and see if they would consider making a prototype for our bikes.
Since it's such a big seller the world over, would make sense for them.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #7

So CSC does have a new exhaust/muffler available - it was on one of the bikes at the IMS - unfortunately I didn't get any specs on it, but I did see mention of it at another forum (again without specs)

Speculation is coming from Columbia, and is SS and Carbon Fiber in composition. I've emailed Ryan for specs and pricing to share.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #8

I asked Ryan this question:
Are the mufflers on the RX3 and the TT250 Forest Service approved? Do they have spark arresters?

His response:
The stock exhausts have not gone through FS testing and do not have approval stamped on the canister. We are developing an aftermarket exhaust that will have this approval, though.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

Alrighty then. The new exhaust is not quite available yet. Has a carbon fiber tip and stainless Steel canister. No real details provided on the specs at this time. They hope to have them stocked in about a month.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #10

I emailed Akropovic
They said they did not have anything for the RX3
I spoke to Yoo in Thailand
I think he is in the process of trying to find someone there to help create a midpipe that will work with the Akropovic slip on

Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 AM   #11

Quote:
I emailed Akropovic
They said they did not have anything for the RX3
I spoke to Yoo in Thailand
I think he is in the process of trying to find someone there to help create a midpipe that will work with the Akropovic slip on
Hopefully Yoo can find someone who can make the mid-pipes. The Akrapovic muffler will need a mount fabricated to fit the RX3, however. Not difficult - a 1x3" piece of aluminum will do it, and just drill a hole in both ends.

The only word of caution is that the mid pipe cannot be too large in diameter. There is very little room between the rear brake master cylinder and the fuel evaporative canister for the mid pipe to snake through. I used 2.25" diameter pipe (to match the Akapovic mid-pipe diameter) and had to wrap the mid-pipe with header wrap to keep temps low near the aforementioned evap canister and the rear brake master cylinder.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:40 AM   #12

I found a brand new Leo Vinci exhaust for a 250 scooter for sale
Don't think I can use the header, but it looks like I can use the Slip-On
I will have to modify or make an a new bracket, but it look like a good possibility
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.7 KB, 306 views)

Old 04-09-2016, 01:43 AM   #13

Additional pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.3 KB, 306 views)

Old 04-09-2016, 08:54 AM   #14

Looks good! Good luck with the muffler install and post pics!

Any automotive muffler shop should be able to bend pipe to make a mid-pipe for you. Looks like the inlet on that muffler is about 2", so you should be able to keep the stock pipe diameter all the way to the muffler. In fact, if you're OK to cut the stock muffler's pipe, you can do that to keep the right bends, and just extend or shorten the stock pipe as necessary to meet the new muffler.

Things to watch for: Rear brake master cylinder clearance and evaporative charcoal canister clearance (under seat, near frame.) If you go with a custom mid-pipe, you may come close to both these items, so allow for enough room to allow these items to remain relatively cool.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #15

You are better off buying a mandrel bend and cutting out what you need.