Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

More HAWK HELP

So i changed my oil on the Hawk the other day on Sunday. and everything went smooth. i checked for leaks and stuff like that. but just last night i notice oil on my garage floor and some oil on my bike. at first i thought maybe it was some residuals left on the frame from when i drained it so i wiped it all down as much as i could and figured id let it sit over night. so this morning before work i went to go check and saw a small drop on the cardboard i set under it. (its not much, about the size of a penny. i have pictures i will post so you all can see) now the strange part is, first you would think its the drain bolt, but the drain bolt is dry as can be, absolutely no oil around it or near it. the oil is to the right of the bolt on the bottom of the bike, like directly under the clutch. i saw some oil on the 8mm bolt directly behind the clutch lever and gave that bolt a loosening then re tightened and then went to work. i came home and checked to see if there was any oil and none had dripped and i didnt notice any on the bike (tho i didnt check much as i wanted to post this first and ask before i went into it too crazy & the drip seems to be VERY slow) there is a what looks kind of like a seem (tho im not sure it actually is a seem) but it could be coming from there. though i do not know as the drip is extremely slow. so, mainly my issue is im not understanding why there is now oil leaking from somewhere i havent touched on the bike, the only thing i took off to change the oil was the drain bolt and why its coming from this strange spot as well??

(i will post pictures after this post)

Old 06-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

http://imgur.com/a/XRSHz (pictures) [5]

when i refer to the "corner" i mean what i think looks like a seam

and the bolt that is circled is the bolt (behind the clutch lever) that had a drop on it that i loosened then re-tightened

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  94.9 KB

check the lin. Im not sure if all the pictures showed up on here. but the link has all of them (there is about 5 pictures)

Old 06-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThrash View Post
http://imgur.com/a/XRSHz (pictures) [5]

and the bolt that is circled is the bolt (behind the clutch lever) that had a drop on it that i loosened then re-tightened

Attachment 6460

Attachment 6461

Attachment 6462

check the lin. Im not sure if all the pictures showed up on here. but the link has all of them (there is about 5 pictures)

P.S. All the circled spots are where i found oil

Old 06-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthrash View Post
http://imgur.com/a/xrshz (pictures) [5]

Attachment 6460

Attachment 6461

Attachment 6462

check the lin. Im not sure if all the pictures showed up on here. But the link has all of them (there is about 5 pictures)

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  87.9 KB

Old 06-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

after my first change on my storm, i also had a drip ... i sat for 1/2 an hour at the gas station i was at just watching it ... never had another drip ... the thing with oil is, if you have ridden it after the change, it blew the oil around and it could be coming from somewhere far away, but it is likely some oil left on something from the change if it does not still drip

Old 06-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

I have a drip in that same area, to be honest until it gets worse I'm not gonna worry about it, but I think mine is from the shifter seal itself. I wish someone had a japanese part # equivalent to it. I don't wanna bother changing it if it will just leak again in another 600 miles...

Old 06-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #7

Are you guys sure it's not chain oil? Shift shaft seal and countershaft seal are common parts that you can get at the local bearing shop. As I recall they're also the same as the Honda CG125 if you want to get them from Honda. Changing both is a 15 min job.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #8

I don't use chain oil, I run chain wax and mine is consistent and really only wet from the seal. I will order the seal one day for the honda and see if it fits I suppose. I have a ZRX 1100 I'm almost done redoing so that will be my main bike and save the Hawk for trails / in town cruise when I don't wanna take the porker (ZRX weighs about 540 wet). lol

Old 06-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARLOW View Post
after my first change on my storm, i also had a drip ... i sat for 1/2 an hour at the gas station i was at just watching it ... never had another drip ... the thing with oil is, if you have ridden it after the change, it blew the oil around and it could be coming from somewhere far away, but it is likely some oil left on something from the change if it does not still drip

hmm its just weird to me that as soon as after i changed it. it now drips from some random area.

P.s. i still have a drip, very slow but still there

Old 06-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #10

Well, if it is serious drip, you need to hit every bolt and tighten. Otherwise seal or gasket somewhere gone afoul....captain obvious.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThrash View Post
So i changed my oil on the Hawk the other day on Sunday. and everything went smooth. i checked for leaks and stuff like that. but just last night i notice oil on my garage floor and some oil on my bike. at first i thought maybe it was some residuals left on the frame from when i drained it so i wiped it all down as much as i could and figured id let it sit over night. so this morning before work i went to go check and saw a small drop on the cardboard i set under it. (its not much, about the size of a penny. i have pictures i will post so you all can see) now the strange part is, first you would think its the drain bolt, but the drain bolt is dry as can be, absolutely no oil around it or near it. the oil is to the right of the bolt on the bottom of the bike, like directly under the clutch. i saw some oil on the 8mm bolt directly behind the clutch lever and gave that bolt a loosening then re tightened and then went to work. i came home and checked to see if there was any oil and none had dripped and i didnt notice any on the bike (tho i didnt check much as i wanted to post this first and ask before i went into it too crazy & the drip seems to be VERY slow) there is a what looks kind of like a seem (tho im not sure it actually is a seem) but it could be coming from there. though i do not know as the drip is extremely slow. so, mainly my issue is im not understanding why there is now oil leaking from somewhere i havent touched on the bike, the only thing i took off to change the oil was the drain bolt and why its coming from this strange spot as well??

(i will post pictures after this post)
Mine is leaking from the shifter shaft seal only when the oil gets really hot,it's a very small leak.