Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

Things to look out for on the TT250?

Hey guys. After much deciding, I bought a tt250. It seems like the perfect commuter bike for my needs. It should be here next week. Any advice/tips I should look out for would be greatly appreciated. I know that the speedo cable is an issue. Is there a fix for it or a special way to re-route it to minimize it breaking? Also, anything else I should do first when the bike comes? Thanks a lot.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

Here's what I would start with: pull the speedometer cable out of its sheath from the bottom, clean it, and grease it. Route it such that there aren't any sharp bends in the cable as these are stress points that increase the likelihood of breaks.

If you can see a bolt or screw, check it to make sure it's tight.

Change the brake fluid in at least the front reservoir/brake line. The stuff that's in it is just terrible. Some are worse than others, but it's good to have reliable fluid in. Spray some brake cleaner on the rotors and make sure there isn't any shipping grease there.

In my opinion, it's a good idea to check the valve lash early on. It shouldn't need to be done right out of the crate, but I was glad to have checked mine before the recommended interval because it was pretty tight.

Be aware that the engine loosens up a lot over the first few hundred miles. Don't be dispirited if it's not performing as expected right off the pallet.

I'm sure there's more, but that's a good start. Enjoy!

Current: CSC TT250

Old 08-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

Are they shipping with the shark fin sprocket guard turned in the right direction now?

/

Old 08-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #4

engine oil is the life blood of the engine (sounds like a commercial right).. in this case its especially true since it has duel purpose as cylinder cooling/lubrication , and serves as transmission fluid. pay attention to it and keep it changed.

otherwise, all the basics apply as in the stickys and in numerous other posts. you are at quite an advantage since you have the support of csc training and support .

if you are going to be mixing it up with traffic, i suggest going with aux led lights to see and be seen.

csc...wise purchase

ps, if you are going to use as a daily commuter, you should go ahead and contact myjstf (spell???) on this site and purchase his instrument cluster for your tt when available(=accurate speedo and and deletes cable)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
If you can see a bolt or screw, check it to make sure it's tight.
Pretty much this. Go around the bike with wrenches, sockets, and/or allen wrenches. Check the brake caliper bolts, axle nuts, etc. basically anything that can end badly if not tight. Clean the rotors. Take the time to pull of the side covers, seat and see if there are any loose connections.

You'll put on the clutch and brake levers as well as mirrors. Check fluids. Put in some gas, hit the starter button.

Rojo

Old 08-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
Pretty much this. Go around the bike with wrenches, sockets, and/or allen wrenches. Check the brake caliper bolts, axle nuts, etc. basically anything that can end badly if not tight. Clean the rotors. Take the time to pull of the side covers, seat and see if there are any loose connections.

You'll put on the clutch and brake levers as well as mirrors. Check fluids. Put in some gas, hit the starter button.

Rojo
And Repeat
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

thanks so much guys

Old 08-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #8

You might want to also check the chain to make sure it's not loose and check the alignment on the rear wheel. My chain was loose and alignment was off when I got mine. Also, if you have trouble finding neutral, try changing the oil.

2016 CSC TT250

Old 08-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #9

If this bike is going to mainly be a commuter, running on pavement 80% of the time or more, I would get tires that are more oriented for the street. I think that would be safer.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjester View Post
Also, if you have trouble finding neutral, try changing the oil.
FYI - Mine was absolutely terrible to find neutral when I first started riding it. After a couple hundred miles (320 kilometers) it is now WAY better. Just expect it to be rough in the beginning. A few times I even just shut it off to find neutral, or left it in gear.

Dave aka Ghan

Old 08-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #11

Change the fuel filter. I'm not sure about others but mine parted itself out and leaked in about 10 miles. A good filter is cheap insurance.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Change the fuel filter. I'm not sure about others but mine parted itself out and leaked in about 10 miles. A good filter is cheap insurance.
Mine is still fine at 250 miles, what the heck are they putting in that CA gas?

(not that new york is any better)

Old 08-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmas View Post

I've got 375mi on mine (since a week ago tomorrow. ) and have had no issue with my filter. With that said, it wouldn't hurt to swap it if you're worried. Like 2LZ said -- it's cheap insurance!

Dave aka Ghan

Old 08-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaniba View Post
I've got 375mi on mine (since a week ago tomorrow. ) and have had no issue with my filter. With that said, it wouldn't hurt to swap it if you're worried. Like 2LZ said -- it's cheap insurance!

Dave aka Ghan
Mine has been fine so far. I'm at 460 miles/740 km (plus a bit for rides I haven't tracked) and haven't had a problem with the filter.

Current: CSC TT250

Old 08-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmas View Post

I thought of that! It actually came apart at the glue joint. Not cracked or broke or squished. Just fell apart. The cool part of it? It leaks on the starter! "What can possibly go wrong!?" ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350