Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Head Scratching Uh Oh! Santa Needs Emergency Help!

So it is the day before Christmas and I am moving the Coolster 3150's to their surprise location. One of them won't start! No lights, no sounds, no nothing. The battery is fully charged, the fuse under the seat looks good, I even swapped the battery and fuse from the working ATV. Nothing. This was the first time I attempted to start it. What do I check next?

Old 12-24-2016, 11:48 AM   #2

If you have a volt meter start checking for voltages at the ignition switch making sure its working and work your way back towards the battery. You might find a disconnected or loose wire. With out a tester just look for disconnects broken or loose wires. The fuse under the seat is often where these problems arise so check the fuse holder carefully. I hope you find it real fast.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

Doh!

Crisis averted! They're alive!!! There was a loose wire at the thingamajig next to the whatchamacallit.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbrseven View Post
Crisis averted! They're alive!!! There was a loose wire at the thingamajig next to the whatchamacallit.
Those thingamajigs will get ya every time. Glad Santa is good to go.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #5

Back again. The same ATV died in action. Now it will turn over but it will not fire. Doesn't have spark. I swapped the coil, CDI, and voltage regulator from the one that does work and no change. The ATV that runs does so with either set of electrical parts and the one that doesn't, well, doesn't. I even went so far as to hold a screwdriver in the spark plug boot - it did not shock me. I don't see anything loose, melted, broken etc. Any other leads?

The ATV that works does so flawlessly. We've had no problems with it all day and the kids have not let it get much rest today LOL

Old 12-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #6

Make sure the kill switch is not giving you problems. Check for voltage going to the regulator / CDI and trace back from there until you find the problem.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #7

There is power at the voltage regulator but not at the cdi that I can tell. But I can't figure out how the wiring is routed between them.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #8

I'll try to see if I can find a way to bypass the kill switch. That seems to be the most likely culprit?

Old 12-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

I was able to rule out the kill switch. Guess I will call APSCUSA tomorrow to see if they can help me narrow it down. If it's likely an easily swappable part at least I have a brand new running atv to swap the parts from to verify the part I need.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #10

What about that diode thingy under the tank?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-26-2016, 12:47 AM   #11

Does it have the kill tether? If so check to make sure the rubber thingamadohopper fits on there good and snug and is actually pushing the switch in to complete the ignition circuit. The one on my daughters Kymco had me chasing ghosts one day. Come to find out the rubber thingamajig wasn't pushing the switch in good enough.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:49 AM   #12

This THANG
http://www.motosport.com/product?psr...FVI6gQodQksMjw

Old 12-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #13

This atv doesn't have a tether switch. I think the diode thing you're speaking of is the square box? The cdi? I swapped the cdi with a known working one and no difference. The only 2 things I can think of now is either a broken wire or the stator has gone bad. I'll be back to work on it shortly. I sure hope to find the problem today.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #14

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=19869 electronic system basically the same, may help

There was a post recently about diode thing under tank but guess I'm mistaken.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #15

Update: The stator tests good. I replaced the CDI (again) and now it fires momentarily and dies. I did have it running for at the most 10 seconds, but most of the time it fires and dies within a second or two. I took the "bad" CDI and put it in the working ATV and it doesn't work there either. So that tells me at least part of my problem was the CDI. I put the original CDI back into the running ATV and everything is fine with it... Back to the broken ATV, replacing the CDI gave me spark, at least enough that it runs for a few seconds. But now to figure out why doesn't it "stay" running?