Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Curse of a little bike

I am blaming all ya !! I went out for a 65 mile off road winter adventure today . Frozen logging truck ruts , ice over small streams , and about an inch of unfrozen sand made for a very tired old man . But now the curse part . I am seriously thinking selling 2012 KLR650 and buy a Yamaha wr250x or a Honda crf250l . Man did I have fun flinging the little hawk around today . It's amazing how a $1500 bike gets treated compared to a bike triple its value . I went places today I would never consider with KLR ,,never . The light nimbleness was a huge asset . I really miss a super lite bike . Being I can haul a 300 lb bike on trailer behind wing I do not need top end . BTW today on pavement before loading it up with carb dialed in and Uni filter I was able to hit 57 mph with stock gearing . But she was not happy that high.35 mph it's a dream to ride . I have been down this little bike curse before , but this time is different as I have means to haul it where I wanna ride . Unlike riding it there . But a nicer off-road bike would be a great asset to my corral of bikes . The KLR may have to go.
Attached is pix of today , 16 degrees when I loaded bike on trailer 26 when we got home. Lots of ice in shaded areas . Hawk and I danced a few times , she handles quite well , I am super suprised . It does have its limits , but well worth the cash . It's like a early 80's jap bike is my best analogy of it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.5 KB, 304 views)

Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

Made me chilly looking at the photos! It is in the 90's here! Not trying to brag, but rather lament the end of decent riding weather for these parts as it gets far too HOT to do any 'fun' riding until next fall. The desert starts getting way too hot for riding. The duners, just east of Yuma in Glamis and the Imperial Sand Dunes, who ride mostly quads and sand rails, and a few brave souls on two wheelers with paddle tires, will stretch out their dune camping/riding weekend season until Easter weekend by tradition, but with such a late Easter, I can imagine temps in the 100s by then. You have much better days ahead of you guys as far as riding goes!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Made me chilly looking at the photos! It is in the 90's here! Not trying to brag, but rather lament the end of decent riding weather for these parts as it gets far too HOT to do any 'fun' riding until next fall. The desert starts getting way too hot for riding. The duners, just east of Yuma in Glamis and the Imperial Sand Dunes, who ride mostly quads and sand rails, and a few brave souls on two wheelers with paddle tires, will stretch out their dune camping/riding weekend season until Easter weekend by tradition, but with such a late Easter, I can imagine temps in the 100s by then. You have much better days ahead of you guys as far as riding goes!
I ride year around , granted I am not wired right . My personal record is 150 miles at -14 below starting and ending back home at -3 . For a burger
A bacon double cheeseburger , chocolate malt , and the best curly fries I ever had . I rode through Death Valley in August many years ago . that was insane . 113 degrees just about did me in. Goldwing has everything , but air conditioning
I enjoy riding this time of the year . Nobody is out getting in my way . The snow is gone , weeds are flat , and great traction off road . No bugs , odd comments , and weird looks makes it fun .
I used to stud up tires , but state patrols frown highly on that here in Wi . Minnesota it's legal , but I dislike the Vikings so I can't move

Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Here's another snap from today . This area is hard to ride in the summer , as the
Sand is deep and a lot of ATV's rut it up bad , along with 4x4 's and winter logging . It's doable with high horsepower bike that handles well . Tight turns makes it hard to keep front end light . In my younger days , I broke more than my share of bones out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.5 KB, 304 views)

Old 03-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #5

Check out these bikes. The Yamaha WR250, Suzuki DR400Z, and the Kawasaki KLR250. I really like the Honda CRF230/250 but find them woefully under powered compared to their competitors. That is comparing all stock bikes without power upgrades. There's also the more fun but less powerful Yamaha TW200, XT250, and Suzuki DR200.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

I'm not familiiar with full size dual sport bikes at all, all the dirt bike riding I did when I was a kid was on minis.

I was surprised how capable a runabout the TT250 is, I think it's a better commuter than my Ninja, but I have the choice of no freeway (the back roads here are actually no slower, due to the freeway bottlenecks).

I think the thing I like most about it is it rides like a mountain bike on steroids. It's real light, docile power, and has surprising traction.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Check out these bikes. The Yamaha WR250, Suzuki DR400Z, and the Kawasaki KLR250. I really like the Honda CRF230/250 but find them woefully under powered compared to their competitors. That is comparing all stock bikes without power upgrades. There's also the more fun but less powerful Yamaha TW200, XT250, and Suzuki DR200.
Leaning heavily towards Yamaha WR

Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Is it possible to plate a wr250 ? Of course with proper equipment added. Such as in Texas or az where it's pretty lenient. That thing will move with 6 speeds and water cooled I bet. $8000 ouch

Rail..didn't read your last post before submitting but I agree...what a state of the art bike! Still has a carb though, which many here love
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Is it possible to plate a wr250 ? Of course with proper equipment added. Such as in Texas or az where it's pretty lenient. That thing will move with 6 speeds and water cooled I bet. $8000 ouch

Rail..didn't read your last post before submitting but I agree...what a state of the art bike! Still has a carb though, which many here love
Let me clarify
WR250R
I got a buddy who races a full. WR 250 and it's insane power and super lite . Flick of the wrist and it's almost airborne .

Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #10

Looking at wr250r now.........

Back, nice very nice. $6700 6 speed f.i. point and shoot go anywhere

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #11

2012 KLR is now listed on the adventure riders web site to trade for 250cc .
We will see what happens .
Below is pix of KLR in case anybody knows somebody . Willing to travel anywhere in US for a trade deal .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.7 KB, 268 views)

Old 03-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #12

So you got the light bike religion from one cold March ride.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
So you got the light bike religion from one cold March ride.
Kinda , but I had a xl250r prior and loved that , but too old to be reliable . Looking for a hard core riding ability lite bike to haul to Alaska after I decided I did not want to ride KLR up there .
It's a long complicated story , kinda much like me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.4 KB, 227 views)

Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #14

Rail you are inspiring. I'm soooo jonesing to ride. we have 12-18 inches of the white stuff coming tomorrow night. I used to like the snow but now that I have the Hawk I kinda can do without it.

BTW the WR250 is a very sick and capable machine. Before I found the hawk I was looking for a used one. Then I decided the hawk will be my return to riding bike that will be sent to my NH vacation home once I build it. (Spring 2018) I will get either a KTM or WR (used of course) in 2018 or 2019.

I sort of miss the power up wheelies from my 2 stroke days, I'm hoping the KTM or WR can fill that requirement. I can wheelie on the hawk but not as effortlessly as my old 2 strokes in the 1980s/90's.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #15

Rail, We need to get together to ride. I'm only 120 miles north of you. My uncle used to have a farm in Marshfield. The only thing i remember about it was there was a TINY bar, Maybe seating for 10 about 2 miles south of his farm......