Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #1

Ignition Tune-up

My Hi-Bird 250 had been a bit hesitant to start as easily as I thought it should so today I decided to have a look at the ignition. The spark at the plug was an orangish yellow which did not impress me. The weak spark was ultimately traced to the installation of the plug cap.

Before the cap is attached to the high tension lead some of the insulation should first be stripped from the wire. Next the strands of the exposed wire should be folded back across the end of the insulation. Finally the plug cap should be screwed into the wire. (Adding a tad of dielectric grease is also a good idea). The Chinese omitted steps one and two. When the plug cap was attached most of the wire was shoved further into the insulation and the amount of contact between wire and cap was minimal.

After improving the original installation the ignition produces a nice blue-white spark and starting is nearly instantaneous. Time well spent.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:30 AM   #2

Hi,

I had the same thing with my spark cap. Every now and then my bike would'nt start. Sometimes it even died when riding :x

I installed a new NGK cap and stripped some of the insulation. I've had no probs since!