Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

300cc motorcycle design

I was wondering who might be interested in or interested in purchasing a 300cc motorcycle which is similar to this Bullit model? This is called a Hero 125cc, which is sold everywhere else except the USA. However, I am playing with the idea to do a 300cc version Americanized.

-Would people be interested in something like this?
-What are people willing to pay? $1,999, $2,499, $2,999, $3,999?
-What features or options would someone consider important on a model they would like to see?
-What type of warranty would you expect from this? 12-mos? 24-mos?
-what aftermarket components would you like to see for something like this?

Let me know. Respond to this post or DM.

Thanks.

Warren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hero-1.jpg (85.0 KB, 646 views)

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

"If everyone is thinking the same thing, no one is thinking." Gen. Patton.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
Current mods: LED headlight & tail light, LED fog light, JT 428-130 chain, 47t rear sprocket, 4-fuse box, oil-cooler, CSC TT205 hand controls, 32" handlebars, aftermarket 295mm rear shock, digital speedo & tach, USB/12 volt accessory; painted flat-black.
-2005 Skyteam ST90 (sitting in pieces)
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD

Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

I like the way it is. I have no interest in the ABS system or what appears to be an ABS system. I would be taking her offroad so the USD forks would be bad for me. I seem to blow fork seal on USD forks when riding offroad. I'd prefer a more conventional fork. $1999 would be about right to get the sales I think.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #3

It kind of looks like a naked tw to me ,I like it .300 cc would be awesome ,make it simple and basic like the hawk and it will be a winner .Actually ,I don’t think anybody would argue that the hawk is something all the Chinese bikes should be modeled after ,what I mean is it is inexpensive ,descent ,easy to upgrade ,easy to work on ,easy to find inexpensive parts for , and above all an incredible value , this bike can be exactly the same if it wants to be .

Old 08-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #4

Boy, I don't know. It's really sweet looking. I would like one for aesthetics alone and could definitely see myself owning one.
I agree about the inverted forks, I would prefer standard. No ABS either. 300cc would be great, but the Hawk's 229 would be fine in it. Having said that, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to make a Hawk look very similar with a few parts and some shop time.

I'd pay $2000 also but only if I could buy it from a reputable place with a business model like CSC where ALL the parts are easy to find and buy from within the states. I enjoy working on my Hawk but can't stand sourcing the parts.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

Where do I start...

No ABS, OHC 4 valve engine, decent compression (9.5/1 or higher) with a dimpled/ported intake/exhaust, front and rear Disk/Rotor Brakes, option of USD "Adjustable" or Standard Forks with Sonic springs, Adjustable Rear Shock with either a Eibach or Sonic spring, 300w stator, 6 speed transmission, high quality/light as a feather frame design (think KTM or Beta strong/light weight), and a Tune-able Fuel Injection or a decent "Pumper" Carb would be nice to have... 100% road legal with 50 state EPA approval would also be nice...

Price - Cheaper than the 125 - 250cc Honda's and those 200 - 400cc Suzuki's

I know, I know... I'm of no real help with my "Pie in the sky" dreams

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #6

I agree with 02jmpr. I would be more than willing to pay $2k if I had access to a reputable dealer. $1500 if it was just dropshipped to my door with no support. But damn its what I've been looking for. I've seen many of these being sold in europe and always wanted one. Trying to get something new with that scrambler look is hard pressed these days.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
I agree with 02jmpr. I would be more than willing to pay $2k if I had access to a reputable dealer. $1500 if it was just dropshipped to my door with no support. But damn its what I've been looking for. I've seen many of these being sold in europe and always wanted one. Trying to get something new with that scrambler look is hard pressed these days.
I understand that dealer network, however, when dealing with chinese stuff, it is going to be hard to do that.

I am thinking a little retro looking bike would be cool for alot of people out there.

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
Current mods: LED headlight & tail light, LED fog light, JT 428-130 chain, 47t rear sprocket, 4-fuse box, oil-cooler, CSC TT205 hand controls, 32" handlebars, aftermarket 295mm rear shock, digital speedo & tach, USB/12 volt accessory; painted flat-black.
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD

Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 AM   #8

Are you familiar with David McCullan, aka 'Englishman in China'? He hasn't been on here lately, but this thread links to his magazine. He is a very knowledgeable source of information on Chinese motorsports products; not only that, but his wife is owner (or maybe her father is, and she is the general manager) of Motorhead/Fuego in China. He has been trying, with no success, to find a distributor for their products in the US. Follow this link to his magazine, and email him--he responds to most everyone's emails, and even does so in the next issue of his online magazine, lol.

Here is the thread with the link:

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20930

Here is his wife's company site

http://www.motorheadgroup.com/

Check out their scramblers (they show three)--also their Tekken would definitely sell here if made EPA/DOT legal. I am sure a 300cc engine could find its way into any of their models.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-21-2018, 12:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Are you familiar with David McCullan, aka 'Englishman in China'? He hasn't been on here lately, but this thread links to his magazine. He is a very knowledgeable source of information on Chinese motorsports products; not only that, but his wife is owner (or maybe her father is, and she is the general manager) of Motorhead/Fuego in China. He has been trying, with no success, to find a distributor for their products in the US. Follow this link to his magazine, and email him--he responds to most everyone's emails, and even does so in the next issue of his online magazine, lol.

Check out their scramblers (they show three)--also their Tekken would definitely sell here if made EPA/DOT legal. I am sure a 300cc engine could find its way into any of their models.

Thanks so much for your comment.

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD

Old 08-21-2018, 02:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyteamst90 View Post
I understand that dealer network, however, when dealing with chinese stuff, it is going to be hard to do that.

I am thinking a little retro looking bike would be cool for alot of people out there.
just one warehouse of parts that the dealers or owners could order thru. shouldnt be that difficult.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 08-21-2018, 02:55 AM   #11

one thing all these china bikes could use is a self adjusting chain guide.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:

That scrambler 2 is so sick. I would buy that in a heartbeat. I saw them on alibabba and wanted one so bad.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #13

A 300cc CB scrambler is a winning combination in my books. I'd like to see one but before I buy one I'm going to need a bigger garage... too many bikes

Old 08-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #14

Quote:

Tekken does seem like one of the better companies making bikes.

There are a couple of issues with importing bikes I see at the moment:

(1) The new tariffs, and how that will play out for the price of incoming motorcycles. It might not be much, but the price will go up. Considering these bikes are more affordable than their competitors, it won't make a big difference, but to many potential buyers it will. I will have to educate myself more on this issue and see what happens. What is wal-mart going to do?

(2) The investment. When looking at importing at least 30pcs that could be at least $20,000+ investment (if you go on the website and see the lowest price; that does not mean they will sell you that price - its called quantity discount, so if you buy the minimum - one will probably pay the highest price listed). Then with shipping, fees, etc. Then there would be the cost to store the bikes in a warehouse somewhere to drop ship them. However, I like the model of CSC where they assemble and inspect and can perform quality control right there at that step. Here, you would also have to hire a tech: money, and a good one is not cheap. Therefore, I have "some" money to invest in a small project, just not nealry enough for a full-blown operation.

(3) Parts availability. It seems that some Chinese makers send parts with the order, good, however; this is not ideal for a small company. Long wait times for parts are not advantageous, and really create more problems then they are worth. The model of CSC is great in this regard. VMC has a good thing as well. Notwithstanding, things are getting better for this smaller market.

(4) The components. Since the Chinese bikes use Chinese metals, I am not totally convinced using chinese fastners is good in the long run. I think, a USA maker could use many imported parts, use a 300cc engine (from China - because there is no USA makers - at least that I know about), and assmeble in USA. I think that would be something. It would be "american" made.

My thought is to manufacture a few 300cc proto-types, test them, and improve them, then build a few for production, and sell those to who are interested. It would be interesting to see what people think, and how they would perfrom in the long run. Keep in mind, my idea is only one idea of how a bike should be, or made, or look like. Since they would have a lot of Chinese, other name brand parts; it would be easy to obtain the parts if one was ever needed.

I am not setting out to be an Eric Buell - but maybe at least build some cool bikes. You should see the drawings and pictures I already have...dang.

Maybe something can happen before the end of the year.

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD

Old 08-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
one thing all these china bikes could use is a self adjusting chain guide.
I agree. That was the thing I liked about the Buell's the most. Easy maintenance.

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD