Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Ruckus Clone Gambler 500 "Cafe Adventure Racer" Build

Well, it finally happened, I got around to working on that 2012 Jinlun Ruckus clone that I picked up.

This cute little 150cc thing has been stored outside since purchased new and has only covered 800 miles on its short time on its planet. I picked it up for $400 with the intentions of taking it on this year's Gambler 500.

To preface the ahead post (and posts), I've never worked on a motorcycle before. I'm decently versed in car maintenance and I can do car repairs if given the correct tools, but bikes are uncharted waters.

First thing's first, I got a new battery and put it in. Engine fired on starting fluid but died as soon as it ran out of fluid. I checked the petrol tank and discovered it to have a tiny puddle. Sweet, the PO didn't leave it sitting for two years with much petrol in the tank.

Filled it up then gave it another firing. This time it ran, however it only continued to run at half to full throttle. If you went any lower, the poor little engine quit as soon as you stopped moving..

I figured one of the jets in the carb must have been restricted and did the logical thing: Overnighted a new carb from Amazon. I mean, with carbs only being $20, why bother cleaning it! lol

Install new carb, insert key, aaaaand...IT RUNS!

I rode it around the neighbourhood for about 30 min. The engine is smooth, accelerates pretty hard, and there isn't a bit of hesitation anywhere. However, it's not perfect. The front tyre is uneven from what I assume was a pothole impact. Coupled to the fact that the bars are a little loose, the handling is best described as "scary". Mechanically, all is well save for a grinding noise from the gearbox. I bet there's a bad bearing or something in there.

I'll be replacing the tyres with knobby ones and the handlebars with a cafe style bar, so neither really concerned me.

This scooter's theme is a blend of adventure bike and cafe racer. Along with the cafe bars it'll have cafe taillights and a seat, then bar end mirrors (but functional ones). On the adventure side we'll have the knobby tyres, a jerry can (necessary for the Gambler), and spotlights. Just for fun I'll also give it some RGB.

I kickstarted the next step in my project by trimming some excess plastic.

Before

After

Stay tuned, this ride is going to get a litttttttle crazy!

1972 Yamaha U7E "Endeavour"
1972 Yamaha DT175 "World Discoverer"
1980 Honda GL1100 (naked) "Poseidon"
1982 Suzuki GS850G "Atlantic"
1996 Honda CBR600F3 "American Star"
2009 CF Moto Fashion 250 "Phoenix"
2012 Jinlun Ruckus "Gambler"

Last edited by Miss Mercedes; 09-20-2018 at 04:04 PM.