Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #1

1990 Suzuki 1100 Katana

So I have the opportunity to purchase a great old bike. It’s a beautiful bike does not look like it’s ever been even tipped over let alone downed. My question has a couple of parts. It has 29k miles on it, I’m not sure if that is a lot. Plus I have never rode a bike that big large before should I just forget about it? Or maybe give it a go? The fella is asking 2k for it I’m not even sure if that is a good price. All I know is that it is a beautiful bike and in great shape. Any advice is much appreciated, if anyone has experience with this bike please chime in. Thank you
Duckman out

Old 11-22-2019, 01:57 AM   #2

What's your previous riding experience/temperament when you ride?

Old 11-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #3

Duckman, I would consider 29k on the clock to be on the low side of reasonable mileage for a bike that old. The Katanas tend to be de-tuned so that they provide more reasonable highway power, not so much superbike performance. They were marketed as more of a sport-touring bike. One thing I would be cautious of with a bike nearing thirty years old is fluid leaks. Get a really bright flashlight, and look through the fairing vents to see if there's any evidence of seepage or leaks. If you know the person selling it and can convince them to pull the plastics off, all the better. The size of the bike shouldn't scare you off, provided you're not the type of rider to pin the throttle wide ass open all the time. If you're a little heavy on the right hand, it might not be a good choice for you. Think tickets, accidents, and a lot of wear and tear on a bike that's approaching middle age. That being said, if you're just in it for some long distance rides and don't like the cruiser lifestyle, this sounds like it could be a really good option. The price seems pretty good, but I would also set aside a little extra money for new rubber/wear bits. Tires are the obvious go-to there, but also think about rubber coolant hoses, brake hoses, grommets, and the like. Those are some of the most often overlooked maintenance items. If the price tag isn't a huge obstacle for you, I would say go for it. Worst case scenario is that you have it for a few rides over the winter months, decide you don't like it, then sell it off for what you paid for it come spring when everyone is flush with tax-refund money. Hope this helps.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #4

^^^What he said.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #5

Emerikol pretty much said it.

A bigger bike will open you up to so much more as you can ride the freeways and cruise at speed.

The katanas were a sport touring bike with over 100 hp and are heavy at over 600#. I have never ridden one but I reckon it would be a pretty comfy ride as the sporty bikes of the 90s had pretty soft suspensions from what I remember.

If it is clean and runs well just buy it do your maintenance and do not beat on it it should be a good bike as sounds like it was well cared for.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

I agree with what these guys are saying. I've seen one locally that went for $2500 that was in fair condition.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

priced in the teens, this would be good. things to keep in mind.

tire size selection might be limited. might be a bit harder to find something that fits your intended riding.

parts availability may be problematic. it happens with older models. for example, if you need used bodywork, looks like 89 to 93 is your model year pool.

I'd bet there are a few good forums that specialize in these bikes for you to ask a few questions.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #8

Thank you all very much. As far as my riding temperament, it is very conservative, almost grandma slow and careful. That being said the bike has been completely gone through carbs cleaned and tuned. Not a drop of oil or coolant leaking that I can see. Taking the plastic off to check will not be a problem the guy is very cool about that. I did notice the brake fluid is very dark and needs to be changed. A great time to check out the calipers, lines, pads, and rotors.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
Thank you all very much. As far as my riding temperament, it is very conservative, almost grandma slow and careful. That being said the bike has been completely gone through carbs cleaned and tuned. Not a drop of oil or coolant leaking that I can see. Taking the plastic off to check will not be a problem the guy is very cool about that. I did notice the brake fluid is very dark and needs to be changed. A great time to check out the calipers, lines, pads, and rotors.
If you've got the means to buy this right now then just do it . It seems a very good opportunity to own a well cared for bike for not a lot of cash.

If its something you may enjoy for a while or a long time you can always move on at a later date and either break even , make a small loss or perhaps make a small profit .

As far as safety , that one is mostly on you. Your going to get just as hurt on your china bike when a car does not see you at an intersection. The only difference is you can multiply your speed on a bike like this in short periods of time , but that's your responsibility and it sounds like you are.

If i remember correctly these bikes were slightly detuned gsx-r engines of the erra and are air/oil cooled with no water cooling and are pretty bullet proof as i recall. Although detuned they are still very fast and will get up and go with a twist of the wrist.

Think it over, ask yourself if you will regret this later if you let it pass?

If you get the bike give it the onceover and bleed the brakes , change the oil , check the tires for tread but more importantly for age ( they are date stamped ) The general rule is 6 years . You may be able to negotiate the price if they need replacing.

Also who is going to do the work ? Can you take the rims off the bike and take them to the local bike shop ? If you can't do the maintenance yourself this can get expensive .

Me, i say go for it , life is short.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:23 AM   #10

Wanted to give this a bump and see if Duckman went for it. What's the word, Ducky?

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #11

I’m in a holding pattern until after Christmas, if it is still there it is meant to be. Also the price was $2500 he knocked it down $500 because it needs tires, they are not worn out just old. I would take it to the shop to have the tires done. Thanks again for all the great information.
Ducky out

Old 11-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
Turkey Day Putt

All the best to everyone; I have enough items on my table and they are needing wait until tomorrow. Whats better than going out for a putt on your bike. Blue shies 42 deg F so long johns and insulated gloves.
Bit over 40 miles up 101 to Woahink Lake and Cannery Road that leads to numerous end of the roads. Great ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191128_141805.jpg (97.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by ikeus685; 11-28-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: pix not included

Old 11-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #13

Duckman, I had a Katana 1100 wire wheel model imported from Australia to NZ where I bought it. The model I had was the last model year with the 1135cc black engine and two tone paint and seat (maroon/silver).
Very nice bike. Bullet proof engine.

Bit of a collectors model now in some parts of the world. I used mine as motorcycle courier daily ride (motorcycle courier point to point in NZ for around 6-7 years). Katana was for around 4 of those.

Awesome bike IMHO.
There was another guy, Shaun with a older wire wheel Katana 1100, but all silver. Shaun had a prosthetic left hand, (claw) so his clutch was upturned so he could activate it.
Both our bikes never missed a beat and we put some miles on 'em.

Not exactly a touring-sport bike though IMO, more leaning on the sport ergonomics.
Of course not exactly ideal courier bikes either... but great for covering distance.

Can put a bit of weight thru ones wrists, given the lean forward angle.
I'd suggest a test ride for some distance and not just open road, to get a sense if the ergonomics are agreeable to you.

The mileage isn't a concern except for the usual consumable/perishables as others already commented on.

'scribed...

PS... I have some ol polaroids some place... I will post-em if I come across them.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #14

Duck....you don't change tires yourself? I got myself a Harbor Freight changer long ago and it's paid for itself several times over. Too bad you're not closer or I'd change them for you.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #15

Sport Rider,.....that thing is amazing. So simple and easy to use. +1 on that!

Duck,.....went looking to see what one of those looks like

That's sweet. Although I'd say if you ever have to mess with those carbs you're going to be hating life. Just my .02