Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #1

Honda ct70 replica

I was wondering if anyone here has owned or had a chance to ride a Lifan LF110GY-3 . I am looking for a cheap bike for putting around town and heading out to my favorite fishing holes. WOndering what your thoughts are on these trail bikes?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #2

I dont have one of the clones but they look like fun and remind me of the honda 70 my brother brought home when I was a kid, it didnt run but after tinkering with it for a while I got it to run and it was a blast.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #3

Haven't had one myself, but I really think they look like fun, however I think it is hard to justify buying that over a larger bike for small difference in price..

Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #4

They would be great for camping or toteing on an rv.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #5

I'd really go with a sachs(tomberlin) madass moped over that honda 70 clone myself since it is a full moped and legal to run anywhere as such.

Still my favorite choice is a SIKK 125cc trail bike converted to moped but it would cost up around $2500-2600 to do so thats out of the picture and makes the madass about the next best.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #6

ct70 replica

I have considered some of the larger bikes as well in a fairly similar price range. And the CT 70 is fully street legal. MOst of them I am not sure how well they would fit me. I am Irish and plauged with very short legs lol. I have a 30 inch inseam. Most the dual sports are about 34 inch seat height not sure how well that would work for me. I am new to this only bike I ever owned was a ATC and a mini bike when a kid. I did see a lifan with a fairly low height I believe it was about 31, and a Roketa 30.7 that would probably be ok. I have heard of some quality issues with these bikes, and have heard some say only buy these if you know how to tune and fix bikes yourself etc. I have no experience working on bikes. I am pretty mechanicaly inclined however and have worked on cars and taken a year of auto mechanics classes, so probably could figure it all out with a decent manual. Was hoping someone might know anything about the quality of these bikes. Being they are much simpler in design figured they may be more reliable for the price.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #7

Sachs madass moped

I took a look at one of those things and they are kinda cool looking. BUt not sure it would suit my purposes. I want something that I can not only run around town with but get back to my fishing holes. I live in western Montana " Missoula" I need something with a little more power then 49 cc I need something that can get around the trails in the hills and mountains as well as around town. I would mostly be on trails and fire or logging roads with some fully offroad needed. Not much in need of climbing seriously steep grades for long hauls, but possibly some ocassional short runs on fairly steep terrain, mostly just going down to the banks of rivers and streams and back up. But can find spots that are not too rough. I just do not think by looking at the Sachs it would be a very good fit.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #8

I never owned a ct70 as a kid but a road my freinds and they where a blast.It is a very small bike thow.Are you able to find a dealer locally to sit on one?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 AM   #9

yeah those ct 70 clones do have fat tires which makes them a little easier to offroad and they are small but not so small that an adult couldnt ride it.
I imagine the quality is about the same as a lot of the other chinese bikes.

What is the best price you have found for one of the ct70 clones ?

The sachs madass also come in a 125cc version and use the same engine configuration as the ct70 clone.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #10

ct70 clone price

The ct70 clone with the 110 cc engine is 995.00 on one site and 999.00 on another I reviewed. So just under 1000 us dollars. I also found some videos of the Honda ct70's on you tube. They are a little smaller then I had thought, the one my friend had must have been the ct90 model which is a little bigger. Their was a video on their that was pretty impressive however of a ct70 climbing some pretty steep hills. I was surprised it could make it to the top. So I imagine the 110 cc clone or the new 125 clone coming out this summer would do even better with the more powerful engines. I am still considering one of the Lifan or Roketa dual sport 200 cc bikes. It would seem the clone would probably be a little more solid. But this of course may not be the case. The lack of all the plastic parts which I have heard are prone to breaking, and rear tail light assemblies breaking out does not seem like something that would be a problem with this bike; since everything is mounted direct to a metal T bone style frame. The low tech suspension components I would imagine would be pretty solid compared to the more technical componets found on the dual sports. SImpler electronics as well on the ct clones may be more durable. But these are all speculations I have no real answers to. It just would seem less technical, simpler design, would equal a better chance of quality in this price range. I have looked around the net though and can find no reviews on the quality of these bikes. If I cannot find any first hand experience, I will probably just go with one of the dual sport models.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #11

It's hard to beat the 200cc dual sport bikes for value. Compared to all types of scooters (50cc and up) and other variations of commuter/fun bikes, I'd say it's the best. Unless you are looking for something very specific like the CT90, etc.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 03-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #12

CT 90 and enduros

I am not realy looking for any specific bike. Just something I can get around town, get back to my fishing holes. I am most concerned with best quality, longest lasting for my dollar. I do not have mush knowledge on chinese bikes, and I hear nightmare stories from some, and that they are good bikes from others. So no idea what I will end up with in the end. I just wantthe most reliable bike I can find for the least amount of cash.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #13

All I can speak for is ours (Dad and I). We have more than 8k and 13k on ours respectively. Reliability...Well, I think it will partly depend on a watchful eye and regular maintenance...the other will be luck . We haven't had any major drivetrain failures, but others here have (a few Lifans stick out in my mind with transmission issues, a couple of Vivas have bit the dust here too, there are others I'm forgetting). Spokes have been the only real issue with mine. As far as cost, we paid less than $1k ea. having them shipped together. I've been very pleased with ours. In fact that is why I went ahead and bought another one...hope this helps.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #14

newrider I think its a very wise choice to find a duel sport that will fit you.The ct70 clone would be usfule for some applications but you mentioned you want to put it on the road and that worries me.Even if you were to go with a 150cc duel sort I would advise that over a ct70 clone.
There are a lot of models of duel sports out there do some research and figure out the best fits for you.It appears that a duel sport will be in the same price range as the ct70 clone.If you look at the suspension of the 70-110-125 clone it looks fraigil.Something to think about if you don't get an actual owner evaluation.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #15

Well it really does come down to what you want it for.

I like our 200cc dualsport bikes and mine is a blast offroad(took some tinkering) but I also would like something smaller that I can just jump on and go like a moped and that is where a madass would fit in.

I couldnt ride a CT70 clone or pitbike around here without the cops on my tail but a moped could be driven all day long without a problem (with or without a helmet - but I'd wear a half helmet).

I have heard of people getting CT70's road legal but I sort of doubt it around here.(I wouldnt want to ride out in traffic)

If your looking to run roads busier than 25mph subdivision roads then get a dualsport.

A dualsport will take you anywhere you want to go.($1000-2700)
A ct70 will take you thru the trails.($800-1200)
I madass moped will take you almost any place you want but only at 30mph.($1600)
(all prices are off the top of my head and most likely wrong)