Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to willardnigma Send a message via MSN to willardnigma Send a message via Yahoo to willardnigma
My Tbr7 experience so far

Seller is TXPOWERSPORTS. Bike was nice but the company is complete garbage.
Paid extra for thier assembly as it states they test everything, tune the carb etc etc.
They didn't touch the carb as it has one of the factory sealed, and as it was, it would bog out over 3/4 throttle. As I paid them to tune the carb I contacted them for a partial refund on the assembly, and they're trying to state I must have dirt in the jets. Threats, insults and more were slung my way when I informed them that dirt being in the carb is on them not me, as I used fresh fuel from a brand new jug (had to buy a new one as my current one is for 2 stroke gas) Haven't removed the air filter, and didn't go off road. I was called childish, stupid, and was threatened to be taken to court for harassment via email for leaving a bad review.

Not fighting to take apart the old carb given the pilot jet can't be swapped easily, just bought a new one and decided to take them to small claims out of principle (yes I am am the stubborn type)
Left a review on their website regarding this. Found out any review that is 3 stars or lower is promptly removed from their actual website. Going to sue them for the price of assembly, the new carb, the jets, and court cost as I feel that is fair for their false claims of ready to ride assembly.
Several out of country reviews on their website with poor english gives the vibe of them buying reviews.

A little background.
Motsly been using a motorized bike with those standard 66cc motors commonly found on ebay, amazon and other named sites.
Owned an old hona cbc900 that I never got around to fixing up. Didn't have time, sold to help cover my mom's bills when my dad passed.

Last week just bought a TBR7 and waiting on it to arrive. As a first bike figured it'd be something weak enough to help me get the hang of things, while being cheap enough to practice working on an actual bike.

Went through a seller that has gotten some flak on here. Leaving seller un named right now as the review is about the entire process from buying to riding. Not wanting a sellers war starting in my thread. My goal is to provide an unbiased, honest review. So if you're coming in here to bad mouth a seller, go elsewhere please. Plenty of other threads to try to back others or promote your own site. If I have a bad experience of any kind I will update, including on details on what actions I take and the outcome.
Note, I am the kind of guy who will take a seller to court to get what I paid for, or get reimbursed for my time if they try to pull me around. So If the seller is truly as bad as some have said they will pay.

Ordered on 4-15-2020
Paid extra for them to assemble it (figured by doing that I minimized the chance of missing parts (former thing I've learned with the chinese bicycle motors)

Got tracking number for Saia freight on 4-17-20

Tracking number showed nothing until 4-20-20
Showed estimated arrival date of 4-24-20

got a phone call from delivery company today 4-22-20
Scheduled for appointment on 4-24-20 for them to drop off bike between 10am-6pm

Will post updates on drop off experience (I live by a main road with a straight level gravel driveway (road doesn't get a lot of traffic and would be a dream for a truck driver to drive on, driveway is perfect size for normal length semi trailer)

Will try to take pictures of bike's condition, pre driving inspection and such.

Lets see if I'm one of the horror stories.

UPDATE:
4-24-2020
Saia dropped off the bike no problems, trucker even helped me move it to a spot that was difficult to use a pallet jack on (he offered knowing otherwise my driveway might get blocked)

Unwrapped the plastic and was shocked. It actually did come almost fully assembled. Just had to slap on the bark busters and mirrors. not a single panel was scratched.

Only difficult part was had to break apart the pallet with a hammer as the front wheel was stuck like the after effects of a peanut butter/cheese diet.

Gonna give it another lookover, gas/oil it up and will report back later this evening after I put some miles on it.

UPDATE:Put 14 miles on it today on road (didnt take it over 45) did some slight riding through a ditch just to check the suspension. So far I'm loving it. Definatly worth the money. Stock carb seems to have enough power for my taste right now (new to bikes)

Only problem I'm having is the damn turn signal beep. Tomorrow I'll get it insured for road use.

Forget the enitre stock bit so far, Taking the stereo off my motorized bike and hooking it up today (the cheap 70 dollar bluetooth kit meant for atvs and such)

Wired straight to the battery with a fuse and killswitch being put into the cluster so it doesn't kill battery.

Adding a waterproof usb port next, as great as this thing is on gas, might use it to do some work for door dash.

Managed to put 100 Kilometers on it so far (mostly on road use)
4-30-2020 MCO and Bill of Sale arrived today. Courthouse and DMV both are still closed so still riding without tags at the moment. Still waiting on new carb and jets as it's running way too lean at higher throttle levels (still easily gets to 50 mph for road use)

Got the new carb and main jets. Running much better but still need to replace pilot jet.
Tops out around 70ish with phone gps (I'm a 150 pound guy)
Kinda shaky and front fender vibrating a lot (motor vibration doesn't bother me due to used to 2 stroke engines)

Would feel comfortable cruising at 55, but going ahead and getting the 17 tooth front sprocket.

17 tooth front sprocket took only 20 minutes to install (did so without a lift like an idiot) Slid the back wheel while it was on it's stand.

FINALLY GOT TITLE/TAGS
Lady at Ohio BMV in belfonatine insisted I needed an inspection for it. I informed her it clearly show's I bought it assembled so that law did not apply. About a minute of back and forth and her supervisor overruled her (I waited in line for 4 hours with a facemask on, so I wasn't going to wait again lol)

Ohio BMV tried to title it as a scooter and kept insisting the MCO said it was 100cc (MCO said 229 clear as day but the lady insisted she knew about the exact make/model and didn't need to read what was on the MCO. Hated to do it, but I had to get snappy, and kind of sarcastic about her reading abilities (handing her my glasses) After I got the tittle, went over to the other office and got my plates, permit and everything just fine.

To celebrate the first street legal ride I fired her up and went out. Midway through the ride It got where it would die if I let off the throttle, and the muffler got so hot that the plastic heat shield went bye bye (started melting)

babied it home with frequent stops to prevent overheating (no loss of power)

This morning I pulled the carb thinking a clogged pilot jet may be causing a lean issue hence the cutoff and running hot.
As soon as I dropped the bowl discovered the pilot jet was completely unscrewed, Torqued it back on a bit tighter this time, and everything is fine.

Looking at my title the DMV is listing it as a 2020 tao tao tao (no joke) So at some point I'm gonna have to get it straightened out, but the vin matches the plate and my insurance so I figured good enough for the cops.

---------------2,000 MILE UPDATE----------------

Bike's been great so far. Been traveling from West Mansfield to Columbus working for Grub Hub here in ohio. Tops out around 65ish with all my gear on the back of it (Grub hub delivery bag thingy, backpack with a bunch of stuff like snacks, drinks, tools, cans of cat food and tools) All in all about an extra 80 pounds)

Tops out around 70ish without all that stuff

Speedo cable has come out from the wheel once, and I screwed it right back in with no problems.

The pin on the speedo has broken (may have been from dropping it when riding through the ditch a few times for fun)

Clutch lever pivot pin came out once. Replaced with the same one meant for 250 honda dirtbike and it fit perfectly.

Bike is currently parked as some idiot forgot to turn off the stereo the past few days and I went to dig out what I call "The donor" battery for doing the de-sulphide trick my dad taught me.

All in all I will say I am loving this bike, and it's helped me make a lot of new friends. The bikers in columbus are a good crew, and may throw a joke about the small engine, but at the end of the day they said, 2 wheels is 2 wheels. My tbr has proven to be reliable and well worth the money.

3000 mile update
First, had to get a new head as the exhaust flange bolt ripped out and repairing wasn't an option.
About a week later the keepers broke, dropping a valve (scariest moment of my life considering a semi was right behind me doing about 65 ish)

Given TXpowersports rep I contacted my bank to take preemptive measures, then contacted the dealer.
Sent pictures of the keeper (microscope showed it was due to a carbon streak in the metal creating a brittle point)
Sent pictures of everything that was damaged and a picture of my old honda ID so they wouldn't say I wasn't authorized to fix it so the warranty is void.

No reply so I was prepping for legal action with my bank, but lo and behold the parts arrived the same day I got the bike fixed (bought some from a 3rd party)

I will say I've given this bike some hell on Highway 33 and all around Columbus Ohio

Last edited by willardnigma; 10-04-2020 at 01:25 AM.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #2

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new bike.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to willardnigma Send a message via MSN to willardnigma Send a message via Yahoo to willardnigma
Thanks, I'll try to get some pictures up later (any uploading for me is going to be a pain)
My motorized bicycle is a Magarittaville bike with the 66 2 stroke motor.
I tooled out a billet aluminum high comp head at my former job, added a battery holder, stereo, brake and headlights to it to make it street legal for kentucky.

Once the courthouse opens I'll try to register it in ohio as they require it (Kentucky didn't)

That's gonna be my biggest pain while this covid is going down. Need to get my motorcycle permit and register both bikes.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #4

My experience with my seller ( delivery and paperwork to register ) was uneventful. Typical damage to the right side tank plastic from rubbing the front tire and a mashed footpeg. The seller sent me both footpeg assy's after some pictures and an email stating the plastic is on backorder and would be shipped when available. If and when I receive that I will post my experience with them. Enjoy the Tbr7 and do the basic mods and I think you will be satisfied. I have 4 bikes now and I love riding this one back and forth to work.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:36 AM   #5

I'm going to keep it entirely stock for the review, so people know what they're getting out of the box. I plan on using this bike for commuter use. Normally used a motorized bike but 20mph is kind of limiting (although mine actually does 35+) Since I moved the motorized bike has become a toy.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:59 AM   #6

Welcome Willardnigma, you will fit in quite nicely here. Lots of guys on here that have a similar background to you that are also into the motorized bikes as well.

I think you made a good choice as the next logical progression in 2 wheeled motorized conveyance, and these are the perfect kind of bike to learn on - simple and cheap.

Just my 2 cents as far as not wanting to modify the bike. Do not consider properly jetting the carburetor as a "modification" because it isn't. It is a correction.

Other than that, I completely respect your wanting to keep it stock. I am a slightly different minded person. With my second go around with a Hawk after losing the first one to a thief, it had almost every modification that it has on it now installed before it was even fired for the first time lol.

As far as SAIA being the carrier. I have had the best luck with SAIA when it comes to freight over every other LTL out there. Are they perfect? No, but pretty darn good.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-24-2020, 05:47 AM   #7

I agree on the carb adjustment. I did pay the extra for "professional assembly". but looking on the site and seeing how the bike is shipped looks like it was a fluff fee.
If it has tamper proof screws I'll leave that out initially though for the base review as I'm looking into this from a somewhat novice point of view.

And come to find out the guy I spoke with who scheduled my appointment lives less than a mile away from me, so expecting drop off today to be pretty smooth.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #8

4-24-2020
Saia dropped off the bike no problems, trucker even helped me move it to a spot that was difficult to use a pallet jack on (he offered knowing otherwise my driveway might get blocked)

Unwrapped the plastic and was shocked. It actually did come almost fully assembled. Just had to slap on the bark busters and mirrors. not a single panel was scratched.

Only difficult part was had to break apart the pallet with a hammer as the front wheel was stuck like the after effects of a peanut butter/cheese diet.

Gonna give it another lookover, gas/oil it up and will report back later this evening after I put some miles on it.

MINE DID NOT COME WITH THE METAL SHIPPING FRAME. it was celo wrapped, then in a squished carboard box, and celo wrapped again. Bike was held upright via the metal pallet straps .

Old 04-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardnigma View Post
4-24-2020

MINE DID NOT COME WITH THE METAL SHIPPING FRAME. it was celo wrapped, then in a squished carboard box, and celo wrapped again. Bike was held upright via the metal pallet straps .
that's exactly how mine came from TXpowersports, I hooked the battery up and it started when I pressed the starter button
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 04-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #10

Put 14 miles on it today on road (didnt take it over 45) did some slight riding through a ditch just to check the suspension. So far I'm loving it. Definatly worth the money. Stock carb seems to have enough power for my taste right now (new to bikes)

Only problem I'm having is the damn turn signal beep. Tomorrow I'll get it insured for road use.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #11

That turn signal is a bit embarrassing if I use it within earshot of other people. I don't mind it because I often forget to turn it off. I still may disable the buzzer at some point.

Glad you're having fun on the new bike.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #12

You can try to disable the beeper on the relay itself or simply put another 2 pin relay in its place.

This one is a fairly affordable solid state that is A. silent. and B, works with LED or incandescent bulbs. https://www.amazon.com/MGI-SpeedWare...0&sr=8-20&th=1
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-26-2020, 12:21 AM   #13

Well Apparently I'm not running too lean, as I'm able to start it without the choke in 50 degree weather. Guess I got lucky.

Does seem to bog at full throttle. Gonna do a plug chop, might swap the carb after i get it titled.

And my oh my, after riding a motorized bike no no shock, this thing is smooth as butter. Was getting nervous driving over the train tracks but I didnt feel a single bump!

I AM LOVING IT

Old 04-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #14

Forget the enitre stock bit so far, Taking the stereo off my motorized bike and hooking it up today (the cheap 70 dollar bluetooth kit meant for atvs and such)

Wired straight to the battery with a fuse and killswitch being put into the cluster so it doesn't kill battery.

Adding a waterproof usb port next, as great as this thing is on gas, might use it to do some work for door dash.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #15

"Motsly been using a motorized bike with those standard 66cc motors commonly found on ebay, amazon and other named sites."

I still get the itch to build another motorized bicycle when I see a nice one go by. You have to make so many of your brackets and such, or modify repurposed stuff for the motorized bike.

It is great experience for owning a Chinese motorcycles, where you often have to modify things made for other motorcycles to fit your Chinese bike.