Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2020, 10:34 PM   #1

My First Ever Bike... Please Help!

HEY!
I have been an observer for a while and finally created my account after ordering a Brozz 250 from Jeff on Friday. I have been around bikes and rode dirt bikes for years, but this is my first bike on my own. Coupled with me having to put it together, I'm a little nervous.

I'm thinking that I want to do about 60% street, 40% adventure riding, but have noticed all of the mods done to the bikes on here. My questions:

What should I start with? I'm not super advanced in terms of mechanical knowledge but could follow instructions if needed. What is the most important mod that needs to be made to this bike, in your opinion?

Thanks for the help and I look forward to being a part of this awesome community!

Old 05-31-2020, 10:48 PM   #2

The brozz from peace sports is honestly one of the few cheaper bikes that doesn't really need mods to be a good bike. They were specifically built around the wants and opinions of the members here.

Obviously there may be a few small things a brozz owner can chime in about as far as setup and service, so I will leave that for one of those guys.

As far as upgrades go. Exhaust is always a good one. For a more street focused bike you could reduce the rear sprocket to a 42 tooth unit and have the same gearing many of us hawk guys run when we go to a 45. Makes for a great compromise but does favor road use a little more.

I would say just set the valve lash and run it stock until the motor is broken in.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-01-2020, 05:41 AM   #3

I am probably one of the least experienced here so I will limit my input.
Dan is right, the bike is good out of the box other than valve lash. there are plenty of YT vids to hep you out with this and it is a pretty simple process just take your time getting the valve cover out. If I remember right I brought it out from the right side (kick starter)
watch Jeff's video and sort the fasteners, that was the worse part for me, making sure the right fastener made it to the right location, some are obvious others not so much.
as Dan said I would suggest riding the bike for awhile before doing anything to it, Dan and others gave me that advise and I am glad I took it. the only absolute mod for you in my humble opinion is going to be the sprocket change, my average speed is probably 40 to 45 MPH and even at those speeds I wish it had a six speed transmission.
I was nervous too and understand but there isn't anything to be worried about it is pretty straight forward. A pre purchase I would suggest is a motorcycle jack/stand, I used my floor jack with a piece of 5/4 deck board and it required me to have help keeping it upright. You are way ahead of me in the game, I haven't been on a dirt bike in just shy of 40 years and never was that into it then just had a brother who was so I had access to street and dirt bikes through him. China Riders is the place to get the info you need so you are already on the right track. good luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #4

I'm right there with, I've been lurking for awhile here on the forum, seeing what knowledge I could acquire on these motorcycles and finally pulled the trigger on the 2020 Brozz 250 as well. I've never ridden a motorcycle before and I'm excited to get into it; this will be my first bike. Thanks for asking the question, I'm curious as well as what to do first.

@Megadan, I love your videos on Youtube, thanks for taking the time to make all those. Would you suggest taking the rear swingarm off and greasing the holes as you've shown in one of your videos w/ your Hawk, or is that something that can wait for awhile? I'm planning on setting the valve lash and threadlocking every bolt I can but is it necessary to grease those areas right from the jump? Thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to receiving my bike and getting it together.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #5

A motorcycle jack helped a ton with assembly, and comes in real handy after you've had the bike for awhile. I too bought a Brozz as my first bike ever and still don't know a lot about motorcycles. Just research research research and follow advice on here in the sticky posts about double checking every bolt and adding locktite blue to all fasteners, even ones that came out together. I bled all my brake fluid out, changed the oil, adjusted the valves, greased the axles, took the swingarm off and greased, really went the extra mile with assembly. Just take your time and it will be a great bike for you. Mine has almost 700 miles on it now. And invest in a good helmet and gloves, and see if you can take a state motorcycle safety/training class in your area.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwowzer View Post
A motorcycle jack helped a ton with assembly, and comes in real handy after you've had the bike for awhile. I too bought a Brozz as my first bike ever and still don't know a lot about motorcycles. Just research research research and follow advice on here in the sticky posts about double checking every bolt and adding locktite blue to all fasteners, even ones that came out together. I bled all my brake fluid out, changed the oil, adjusted the valves, greased the axles, took the swingarm off and greased, really went the extra mile with assembly. Just take your time and it will be a great bike for you. Mine has almost 700 miles on it now. And invest in a good helmet and gloves, and see if you can take a state motorcycle safety/training class in your area.
Gwowzer gave good advice, I took one way back before it became mandatory in florida and I am glad I did, the lessons a good instructor will give are a world of help, you will never regret it if you take one.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DeltaBlu View Post

I'm thinking that I want to do about 60% street, 40% adventure riding, but have noticed all of the mods done to the bikes on here. My questions:

What should I start with?

If not mistaken in the US the Brozz comes with knobby tires, ditch them and get ones that are 60/40 or maybe 70/30.

If you are new and for some reason you have to brake hard, with knobby tires you are going to fell the rear tire swing sideways.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #8

I've never ridden a bike up until I heard about the Brozz 250, so I bought it and I'm glad I did. It's barely got 70 miles on it at the moment because the local DMV is still closed so I just putt around the neighborhood to practice.

But, I've modded it probably too much. I can't remember who said it on the forums here but I'm gonna get decals made for my "Chonda." The exhaust I bought is an excellent fit but pricey. So far, really, what everyone has said that you don't really need to mod it out of the box. I've got the personality type that just can't leave sh*t alone. I'm always modding and pushing things to understand the potential.

Thanks to Dan...NOW I'm gonna have to figure out the whole camshaft thing! :P
Yoshimura RS-2 full exhaust system, Nibbi PWK30 flat slide carb, DRC Moto LED tail light, Mini H4 LED headlight, DIY windscreen and rear inner fender, Unipod 2" filter, Unipod crankcase 5/8" filter, Deleted airbox, Smart Turn and Brake System

Old 06-02-2020, 02:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybear31 View Post

@Megadan, I love your videos on Youtube, thanks for taking the time to make all those. Would you suggest taking the rear swingarm off and greasing the holes as you've shown in one of your videos w/ your Hawk, or is that something that can wait for awhile? I'm planning on setting the valve lash and threadlocking every bolt I can but is it necessary to grease those areas right from the jump? Thanks a lot and I'm looking forward to receiving my bike and getting it together.
If it were me, I would do exactly what Gwowzer did. Take the time to take it apart and grease all of the pivots and axles. Even if the bike comes assembled, I would actually take it apart to do those things. I go 1 step further when I assemble my bikes and grease the steering stem bearings as well. Not sure how the Brozz comes assembled, but the Hawks and the TBR7 bearings are all dry as a bone out of the crate. Mine had two little boogers of some sort of clear wannabe grease on them.

I also take the time to go over all of the wiring on the bike and make sure nothing is going to burn or rub through over time. Zip ties are your friend for that. The Bashan bikes tend to have a little better quality control than the Hawks and TBR7's, so it might not be as critical, but it can't hurt to double check.

The same goes for the spokes. They might be fine for the first couple hundred miles, but it is always a good idea on new spoke wheels to double check them by the first oil change, and again at say 1000 miles. Then periodic spoke checks should be a part of your routine. I keep it simple and just give them a quick tap check during my oil change and tighten as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daghita View Post
I've got the personality type that just can't leave sh*t alone. I'm always modding and pushing things to understand the potential.

Thanks to Dan...NOW I'm gonna have to figure out the whole camshaft thing! :P
Anytime!

We are just cut from the same cloth. I didn't need to do half of the things I have done to my bike, but I am a tinkerer with an obsession to "improve" things. For me, that is the biggest enjoyment of my Hawk. Sadly, I am running out of things to improve lol.

Once I do the pushrods and swap to the thinner steel head gasket, the only other two improvements I could make would be to install my coil on plug that I have yet to get around to doing and the 32mm carburetor that I realistically don't need to do. I just need to see if it will make a difference. because that is how I am.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #10

I just bought a Brozz 2020 back in June 2020 as my first bike at 62 . I read these fourms a lot before buying from Jeff at Peace Sports. Here are some of the things I did right and some I wish I had done right.

On assembly , blue loctite everything, and I mean everything not just the bolts you put in but any you can get to that the factory put in. I got loctite on most everything but missed the rear caliper bolt. Fortunately like most I couldn’t get to the DMV to register it so just puttered up and down my street, one day the brake didn't feel right, sure enough one bolt fell out and was just hanging by the other one, fortunately I found the other one on the road, went back an loctite every bolt I could get out.

I did grease the axle but not the wheel bearings, that is next on my list.

I changed the oil after 100 miles and then again at 500 and 1000 with Valvoline Motorcycle oil 10W40.

I change the spark plug at 500 miles to an NKG and the at 1000 to a NGK iridium.

At 1200 I remember I forgot to check the valve lash and sure enough both were tight, reset at .002 inch and the engine seemed to start and run a little better but makes slightly more noise.

I have had no issues with the bike and as most have said it runs really good right out of the box.

At 1200 miles I also disconnected the remote start and alarm as I just dont use them but would like to have a kill switch on it (dumped it over in the yard and had trouble getting to the key to turn it off) but also want to retain the hazard lights as sometimes I just putter up and down my dead end in street doing slow turns with the hazards on , almost no traffic and just a couple of houses out in the country where I live.

I am currently working on putting a MikunI VM 26 clone carb on, but the part I ordered from Amazon from Motocheeze website came with the main jets that look to be for the KeIhin carb ( after two turns they stop, and also have a smaller head size) , so I order some Keihin jets, I am going to pull the stock carb and keep it the same for while I practice on the MikulI then may tackle the stock carb later.

Only real issue I have is the battery seems underpowered , I keep it on a battery tender when not riding, but want to change it out this summer for a more powerful one if I can find one that fits as it is an odd size.

I am not looking for speed or power as I just putter along the back roads out in the country and have never taken it out on the highway as I don't like traffic.

So far so good , best fun I have had in years.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #11

Almost same boat except I have no dirtbike experience. Brozz is the first motorcycle I've ever ridden, currently 250miles odometer. No mods and happy with it so far. The biggest general maintenance I've done after assembly is locktite some bolts, oil change, replaced the battery with something that'll hold charge better, adjusted the valve lashings, and rejetted the stock carburetor.

The only "mod" I've done is anchoring a 5gal storage container from Lowes to the back. It looks bootlegged but it was cheap and it works.

The only issue I've had that I can't figure out right away is that the fuel gauge decided to start reading fuller than full last week.

Basically other than that I don't personally have a reason to modify; they are fun and easy to work on though so I can see the appeal.

Last edited by teerl; 01-15-2021 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Spacing

Old 01-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
If not mistaken in the US the Brozz comes with knobby tires, ditch them and get ones that are 60/40 or maybe 70/30.

If you are new and for some reason you have to brake hard, with knobby tires you are going to fell the rear tire swing sideways.

There are two versions of the Brozz 250. One style has 50/50 tires. The Recon version has knobbies front and rear.

So it does make a difference on what your intended use is. More on road, go with the 50 /50. More off road go with the Recon.

John

Tags
brozz250