Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Youpa
hi bird 250cc

hi! i dont know anything mechanical about enduros! i REALLY want to get one so i can go trailing with my friend and also use it to get to work which is 5 miles each way. i was looking through the forums and seeing people having problems with the carberator, and "flakes" in there oil. thats scaring me away from buying one cuz i'll be using it alot aand i like the price! and sumone driving with rpms up high? thats sumthing i would have done if i didnt read the forums. i need to know if i should buy this bike? and if there expensive to fix and how to treat them without breaking it!

Rich :?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #2

By no means am I an expert, but I would have to say that you have about 100% chance of needing to work on this bike if it is used on a regular basis. Honestly the friends I have with the Jap bikes work on theirs just as much, and have very similar problems as I do with mine.

When I got mine I did ZERO prep, add gas and go. I know its wrong, but thats how I do it. If it breaks I fix it. I dont cry about it, I just fix it.

Maybe your friends can help you learn about it. You WILL eventually have to work on it, no matter what you get.

Its not that bad....

Welcome to the board by the way.
Your starting out in the right place just like I did. I had no idea there was such a big following for these bikes, and it is only getting bigger.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #3

If you do the prep you probably won't have the carb problems. The flakes in the oil are normal for the first few oil changes. It took about 4000 miles before I didn't really see any metallic looking particles in mine.

The transmissions need to wear together and it takes awhile.

These bikes are perfect for a 5 mile commute, but like said above you will have to work on it.

Allen

Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #4

I'm a fairly new Hi Bird owner. I have enjoyed tinkering on my bike since getting it. These things are very simple and require just basic tools. There are many people on this forum that will guide you thru any questions you might have.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #5

Welcome Yopa,I am very pleased as well with my hibird .But as the others said,You will be doing something sometime on any of these bikes.
Yes these bikes are in expensive,and thats very apealing.Next thing you need to ask yourself is am I willing to learn what I don't know in order to fix a problem?or Do you know someone personly that could help you.
This forum is second to none when it comes to members that are willing to help .
Best wishes to you.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #6

i want a bike to run all around with. like work which i said is 5 miles each way and just cruzing with my friend and giong to my church which is 12 miles away. but it sounds like if i go around 10 miles i'm gunna break down. it sounds like in order for these bikes to run good, they need to be ripped apart and cleaned inside and out! and maby upgrade parts. my friend has an enduro thats much larger than these but i 'm not looking for anything too powerful. and he probly wont wana always come down to my house to fix all my problems. but i can also learn how to fix them along the way. i'm a big guy myself. i weigh 250 lbs. how fast would a 250cc bike take me? i'm only looking to go at least 60-65. o. and would you just say these bikes ARENT reliable??? cuz i dont have 400 dollars to just dump into it wen it craps out on me . thanx!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #7

All my trips have been over 10 miles. I dont feel like its going to break down on the way and it has'nt yet. 95% of the work on mine has been personalizing my bike. Removing graphics, adjusting controls for a more comfortable fit Etc. My only "problems" have been loose fasteners and such. When I find one loose I take it out and put some locktight on it, no real cost envolved.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #8

thats wut i like to hear but it sounds like anytyhing can happen. i havent had luck with cars in fact i didnt have one that lasted 3 weeks so i wanted to get a bike cuz i heard there cheap and with gas prices now its good to have one!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #9

I ride mine to work 22 miles each way. Never failed to get there and back.

The biggest thing is to check all the bolts first. Lube the chain, swingarm pivot, axles, cables and remove the gas tank and blow out any manufacturing debri first.

The jap bike your buddy rides was probably given a similar prep from a dealer. You don't get that luxury when you bike comes in a box. It really is not that big of a deal to prep it while assembling the bike.

Alot of guys had no mechanical experience either and set there bikes up with basic tools.

The 250cc should carry you at 60-65 with ease and further than 10 miles at a time too.

I rode mine about 300 miles on a 100+ degree day with no problems.

Allen

Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #10

ok a couple more things since every one here knows wut there talking about. if sumthing WERE to go wrong, and i couldnt fix it. depending on the problem would it cost alot to have a bike mechanic fix it? and are there any performance parts too add so i could go faster? eventually i'll want sumthing faster but i would rather add things to it than going and buying another one for $5,000.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #11

Your limited on the proformance parts.

Having a mechanic look at it may be expensive. Depends on the shop. Never had to bring mine in. Its never failed to start either.

The good news is that they are simple design whichs makes them easy for a novice to wrench on.

Besides an engine rebuild I can't really think of anything that people here wouldn't be able to talk you through for repairs. Most of us have only had simple small things to fix.

Allen

Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #12

well...i was looking around for sumthing that was a 350cc and no luck. there all over 3,000 dollars. i'll most likely get it. i want the black one . i'm getting it in may. so i can ride it all summer till i can get 5 grand for a car! riding in the rain will probly suck but o well. so i'm supposed to drive it nice for a while so i dont screw anything up? i saw on here someone was shifting at high rpm's. how am i supposed to know wen i can do that?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #13

You can do a nice break in or a hard break in your choice.

For the money spent you will be far ahead for a commuter/light trail riding bike than a honda or yamaha etc.

The biggest widely available now is the 250cc. Buy it and ride until fall and then sell it.

I ride in all weather, just get some rain gear.

Allen

Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #14

thats wut i wanna do, ride in any kind of weather. i dont mean to be a pain about asking the same questions but idk if i could trust it. if i have to go to work and go to leave and i have a problem then i'm screwed. i am 18 and about to graduate highschool and i'm a dishwasher! hahaha pretty crappy but its a job. my brother can get me into decka no problem but if sumthing goes wrong than i'm fired. i dont have a backup vehice so i would have to rely on the bike and if i have any problems its gotta be fixed. i need a good site to study the components of these bikes so if i have a problem, i can rip it apart and be to put it back together. i really appreciate the support from you guys! thanx!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youpa
idk if i could trust it. if i have to go to work and go to leave and i have a problem then i'm screwed. i am 18 and about to graduate highschool and i'm a dishwasher! hahaha pretty crappy but its a job. my brother can get me into decka no problem but if sumthing goes wrong than i'm fired. i dont have a backup vehice so i would have to rely on the bike and if i have any problems its gotta be fixed.!
Obviously you need to just walk to work. The only potential problem there is throwing a shoe! :P

But seriously....there is no option that doesn't have some risk involved.

You can spend $500 on an old used bike...and take your chances.
You can spend $1500 on a used bike, and take your chances.
You can spend $1500 on a brand new bike, and take your chances.
Or you can save your money and spend $4000 on a new bike and still take your chances.

Every vehicle, both old and new...with 2 wheels or 4, will need to be maintained and could leave you stranded at any given moment. The maintainence you perform reduces that risk if done correctly, or increases the risk if not.

It's up to you....and a bit of luck.

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but the reality is...the experience you have with a China Bke or anything else is impossible for anyone to predict.

Look around this site and all the others dedicated to these bikes and if you feel comfortable with the amount of information available, and you're comfortable with your abilities to do the work, or know someone who can (and will)...then take a chance. If you're not comfortable with all that's availalble, then it might not be for you....and that's okay.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project