Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Boom Vader No Crank Troubleshooting

Hello! New to the forum and was wondering if anyone would be able to help diagnose an issue I'm having

Model: Boom Vader 2nd Gen

Issue: Bike will not crank. Solenoid will "click" and send 12v through the wire to the starter (verified with multimeter) but the starter will not crank.

Troubleshooting Performed:

Tried a jump box on the battery - Jump box goes into fault when the bike's key is turned on.

Replaced starter and starter solenoid

Tried jumping the starter solenoid - It will spark when jumping the terminals but will not turn over the starter.

Placed the battery on a tender overnight - Tender and multimeter confirm battery is charged. Bike is less than a month old so the battery should be fine, but I have not had it load tested.

Disconnected everything except the ignition switch and the starter button, no change

Tried running a wire straight from the battery to the starter - Starter still would not turn over. To me this indicates the new starter may be bad, but the chances of that seem so slim and unlikely that I figured I would ask here.

With the jump box going into fault with the key on, it's leading me to believe there's a wiring issue somewhere (could it be the ignition box?)

Old 10-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #2

Just out of curiosity, you have made sure the engine is free? Can you push start the bike? 9 times out of 10 a no crank is caused by a bad battery or blown fuse.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:32 AM   #3

Acts exactly like a battery that all signs show as good but cannot transfer enough power under load so if you can check it first I would. Check the negative ground wire or replace and try then I think you look at checking ignition wiring. Has it ever been running?

Old 10-31-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Just out of curiosity, you have made sure the engine is free? Can you push start the bike? 9 times out of 10 a no crank is caused by a bad battery or blown fuse.
The engine is free, I can roll start it and it runs just fine. Even letting it run for 30 mins and trying to restart it with the electric start leads to the same result. Checked the fuse off the main power wire and it was good, even replaced it just for funsies and no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Acts exactly like a battery that all signs show as good but cannot transfer enough power under load so if you can check it first I would. Check the negative ground wire or replace and try then I think you look at checking ignition wiring. Has it ever been running?
Bike has been running, has about 100 miles. I tried adding a ground wire to eliminate that possibility and there was no change. I will yank the battery out hopefully in the next day or two and go get it tested, so we'll see if that changes anything..

Old 10-31-2020, 12:33 PM   #5

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt270avian View Post
The engine is free, I can roll start it and it runs just fine. Even letting it run for 30 mins and trying to restart it with the electric start leads to the same result. Checked the fuse off the main power wire and it was good, even replaced it just for funsies and no difference.

Bike has been running, has about 100 miles. I tried adding a ground wire to eliminate that possibility and there was no change. I will yank the battery out hopefully in the next day or two and go get it tested, so we'll see if that changes anything..
Pretty sure it's just your battery being bad. A multimeter doesn't really give you a good indication of whether or not the battery is bad. I've had batteries that put out good voltage readings at test that totally went flat when a load was applied.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
Pretty sure it's just your battery being bad. A multimeter doesn't really give you a good indication of whether or not the battery is bad. I've had batteries that put out good voltage readings at test that totally went flat when a load was applied.

Looks like it indeed was the battery. It's so strange that a brand new battery that's less than a month old would die like that. Not sure if there's a current draw or what, but I guess I'll have to leave it on the trickle charger from now on with the new battery.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:25 PM   #7

It sound like you've got a bad cell... It happens sometimes, and all you can do is replace the battery... Age doesn't help, but new batteries can do it too.

Last edited by franque; 11-02-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt270avian View Post
Looks like it indeed was the battery. It's so strange that a brand new battery that's less than a month old would die like that. Not sure if there's a current draw or what, but I guess I'll have to leave it on the trickle charger from now on with the new battery.
Glad you got it sorted. You will probably be fine now as the battery you bought is probably better than the one that came with the bike. I had a couple of chinese quads way back and the batteries on them didn't even have labels on them! Lol, they didn't last long either.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #9

Glad you found the problem. Yeah. those Chinese batteries are hit or miss. Mine died at like 200 miles so I got a Walmart one and I've been good to 600 so far.