Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2021, 11:36 PM   #1

Ice Bear Champion 125 Bent Axle

Hi all, I'm new to the group. I grew up with a Honda CT70 and now that my kids are older, I decided to buy an Ice Bear Champion 125 (PBZ125-2) http://www.icebearatv.com/product/pbz125-2.

I bought from an online dealer and received it a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the front axle nut wasn't included or fell off during shipping (the bike shipped with the front wheel not installed and the front forks were attached to a metal shipping cage with the front axle bolt holding the bike in place in the cage.

The front axle either got bent during shipping or during removal of the metal cage (my family helped while I was at work during the day and they are not sure), here is photo:

Link to image of bent axle: https://ibb.co/6wj05yF

I've contacted the online dealer and they are submitting a warranty claim.

I'm not sure how long it will take, but I've offered to just buy the parts, but they haven't responded.

I have a couple questions if anyone is familiar with this bike.

There aren't any instructions on how to install the front wheel once I have a new axle and missing nut.

On page 4 on the parts doc: http://www.icebearatv.com/pimages/or...25-2_83596.pdf

PBZ125-2-D-18 and PBZ125-2-D-20 are the two parts I need (I have the axle bushing).

18 PBZ125-2-D-18 Front axle 前轮轴 1
19 PBZ125-2-D-19 Front axle bushing 前轮衬套 1
20 PBZ125-2-D-20 Nut M10螺母 1

1. This may be a stupid question, but where does the front axle bushing go? It might make sense when I have axle part (I can't mock up the assembly with the bent axle currently).

2. Also, I'd guess these parts are pretty inexpensive. Does anyone know an alternate online vendor that has these parts in stock? Seems pretty hard to Google for these parts, but I'd guess this M12 type bolt is common for many scooters and you need to know the right length I guess.

3. Without having instructions or the actual front axle nut, is this nut self locking? or ? Last thing I want to do is have the wheel fall off after getting the parts.

Thanks for any info- Mark

Old 04-20-2021, 05:14 AM   #2

measure the bolt length and diameter ,then search Honda parts sites to compare your dimensions with ct70 ones .The bushing goes between the wheel and the fork leg ,but I don’t know the order on your bike (ct70’s didn’t have disc brakes) ,you want the brake disc to end up in the caliper not beside it .

Old 04-20-2021, 09:01 AM   #3

Actually, you could straighten the bolt using a couple blocks of 2X4 and a hammer. Likely have to hold the bolt with some vise grip pliers. Place with the bend uppermost, and whack. Once you get close to straight, roll the bolt on a flat surface, with the head hanging off so it will roll flat. Find any high spot, and repeat the Swedish Steam application. You generally can get the result you need with a little time.
The forces on the axle are at the end points. Where the axle goes through the forks and where it goes through the bearings. The lever arm length between the load points is very minimal. (the 'load' is very close to the 'support') That means forces on the bolt are not very high as far as bending the bolt.
You may not want to trust it for riding, but it would allow you to mock up the assembly and see how it looks and how to assemble the wheel, and spacer.
Ace Hardware and Fastenal both have very extensive selections of metric bolts. You should have no problem finding a replacement, likely of higher strength and quality, for less than $5. I would select a self-locking nut if they have one.
tom

Old 04-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #4

the bushing goes on left side between shock and brake disk. the axle nut is not a nylon locking type but I put a second nut on remaining threads as kind of a safe guard if it were to back off. I'm not sure of the thread size but it looks like about 3/8" or 7/16" metric equivalent.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have tried to straighten the bolt by using a hammer and visegrips to have something for mocking up the wheel assembly, but when I try to push the bolt all the way through the wheel, it's pretty tight on one end and don't want to force it, so that's what lead me to post here while I wait for the dealer to get back to me. I will most likely go to the hardware store this weekend and find something very close to at least mockup...

Old 04-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #6

Odds are that the hardware store bolt grade/quality is a step up from what 'came in the box'. I'd go with that instead, but the choice is yours.
Sort a surprised anyone would file a claim for a bent bolt & missing nut. Paperwork cost more than just sending a replacement. "POLICY!". never mind...
tom

Added:
Most times the bolt will not slide through without a little persuasion. There is a bearing separator tube inside the hub that is used to handle the compressive force on the bearing center race without stressing the bearing sideways(ball bearings do not do well with sideload) that can fall out of alignment. It must be moved/adjusted to allow the bolt to pass through. Add in the fork misalignment(they can rotate within the tubes) and you have a buncha things that will add up to making insertion of the bolt something requiring application of a hammer. Just the way it is.
tom

Last edited by grumpyunk; 04-21-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #7

On my cheap little China bike, the light bulbs and the bolts are probably the most like parts made in a cave somewhere over a charcoal fire -- not that any of the other parts are the greatest, but those items are by far the worst. ANY replacement you can find almost has to be an upgrade.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #8

So, I've checked locally in few hardware stores and checked inventory in several online sites and most don't have flange bolts this long in stock. I took the bent bolt to a hardware store and confirmed it's an M10x1.25 fine thread and I *think* the length is 215mm. Here is a photo with a metric measuring stick: https://ibb.co/f4ZbcZh I'm measuring just the shaft, not measuring the head. At the top of the head, it has "8.8" which I think is the steel grade. Does anyone know if 215mm is the right length to order? I can find 210mm and 220mm on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XO9O84RGZ&th=1 but 215mm length seems to be a bit harder to find.

Old 04-24-2021, 08:53 PM   #9

The 220 should be just fine .I checked one of my ct70 axles and they are 12x220 so a Honda part won’t work for you

Old 04-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #10

Thanks Bruces, I'm going to order the 220mm from the Amazon link just to start the process to get something and go from there.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #11

And, I'll be using this video as a guide to install the wheel. He's missing the bushing I had a question about where does that goes LOL.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #12

https://surpluscenterincshoping.com/...m-bolts?page=7

If you must have 214mm... but you'll have to buy a pkg of 10

tom