Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2021, 02:46 PM   #1

Need help deciding on a bike

I think I have it narrowed down to 4 choices: Hawk 250, EGL A15 Pro 230cc, EGL A16 Pro 250cc, and GPX FSE 250E. Will be mostly riding on hard packed dirt roads, some are kind of steep with ruts/rocks. Also to be used for commuting around town. There are no local dealers that carry any of these so I can't check them out in person. Based on what I've read here are my impressions, but I'd really like to hear from anyone who's had experience with these. Thanks...

Hawk 250: Pros - simple, reliable (once set up right), the "og" cheap China bike, inexpensive, comes set up for street legal use. Cons - poor hardware, some people report excessive engine vibration, steel swing arm might be prone to rust, skinny forks might not handle great on some of the gnarlier dirt roads.

EGL A16/A17: Pros - still pretty inexpensive, suspension looks a lot more capable than the Hawk 250. Cons - can't find any online reviews, only available from one dealer (wholesaleatv) that I can find, not set up for street legal use (I can add the lights, mirrors, etc. but don't know how easy my local DMV will be on the conversion).

GPX FSE 250E: Pros - really nice looking bike, good reviews, suspension is probably the best for gnarlier trails, 6 speed transmission, comes set up for street legal use, GPX Moto seems to have a good reputation as a vendor. Cons - expensive, new style engine not as open to mods as the older 5 speed motors, almost "too nice" to be a beater bike.

Thanks for any input on these. If anyone has other suggestions I'm open to those as well, but only interested in carbureted bike (no EFI). Thanks.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #2

The GPX looks nice. At least it has the lights and items to get on the street for the most part. You will likely need to verify with your state's DMV about what hoops you need to jump through to get it street legal with tags. In New Jersey, for example, it is quite difficult. They have a very specific list of manufacturers, and even the Hawk was not on that list for us, so I went the TBR 7 route. The TBR7 is basically the cheaper cousin to the Hawk but has 19/17 inch rims.

If you go the cheaper bike route, there is always ebay for a front fork and rear swingarm swap off an old Honda if you are doing anything more heavy duty. But, by the time you are done with all that effort, just buying a used Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Husqvarna from the start becomes another alternate common sense option.

There is a distinct quality difference between the Japanese equivalent parts and the less expensive Chinese 250cc variants like the Hawk, Brozz, CSC, TBR, Lifan. The frame, forks, swingarms and many other components are typically thicker, more robust and higher quality. Cannot speak for the GPX, it may be an exception.

The Bashan Brozz Recon may be a happy in-between for you with somewhat better parts. And if the Hawk is not on your state's registration list.

Also, the RE Himalayan is at this price point brand new too. A bit heavier and more of an adventure bike, but certainly within this category. You can swap to a carb if desired on that bike too.

At the end of the day, if you are willing to spend the extra money, just get the higher quality product and spend the time riding and not wrenching. If you are looking for a cheap disposable learner setup to learn to wrench on and upgrade as you require, the Hawk and its lower cost variants are more than capable in factory form for light trails use and moderate usage. Many of the parts replaced thus far on the TBR7, and likely Hawk, are low quality from the factory to keep the price point low. But, for the money brand new, you can't beat it.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #3

I have waited for approximately 4 years to get that "perfect" bike, the one with a 249cc overhead cam, 21/18 tires, upside down forks, digital dash etc... The problem with this type of bike is that there isn't one (that is affordable) that can be licensed in my state. So...after serious consideration I purchased the Bashan BSR250 and have never been happier! It serves my purposes perfectly! It was only $1250 plus $280 shipping and I have only spent approximately $200 on Aftermarket upgrades such as exhaust, carb, digital dash, saddlebags, bark busters etc...I just love it...it started first try and ran perfect from the get-go! The only thing missing is the OHC engine and the upside down forks...and I can live without those after having this bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210718_131354.jpg (70.0 KB, 237 views)

Old 07-21-2021, 09:15 PM   #4

I have the Hawk 250 DLX as my first bike and love it. It has handled North Georgia twisties and Forest Service roads as well as some singletrack. However, as someone else mentioned the RE Himalayan is a fantastic option for 5k.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #5

Hello very happy with my TBR7 , I think it looks better than most other china bikes. Good luck

Old 07-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #6

I agree, the 250cc CG clone motor on these bikes are surprisingly acceptable. They are not very powerful for sure but appear to be a well running and reliable motor. I will take reliable over performance any day. One needs to get the carb setup properly and adjust the valves to get it there. It gets you on the trails for minimal money. It also teaches you how to work on a motorcycle, because you are your own mechanic on these. They are about as simple as a motorcycle can get, so that makes it a bit easier. One needs to have realistic expectations when buying one of the lower cost options.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #7

Most Hondoids share a ton of parts in common, and the CG motors have been proven bullet-proof for well over a decade now. Pick the one that has the most things you want. If USD forks are that important, (one of my preferences), then pick from that list of bikes. If a balance shaft is that important, add that to your list. If a 21/18 with knobbies is important, add that, etc...etc.... If you're in CA like me, that narrows it down considerably.

Main thing about the CG Hondoid, don't get too hung up on brand name. It's what you want on the bike that makes the difference.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350