Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #1

atv gy6 valve adjustment

Got a Tao Tao raptor 200 and I think it is about time to do a valve adjustment.

Got a couple of questions:

1. Is it a pain to do it while the motor is still on the atv? Doesn't seem like there is a lot of room to work there.

2. What's the first indicator you get that make you realize the valves need to be adjusted?

Thanks in advance,
Sparrowhawk.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #2

Probably just have to remove some plastic pieces for access. I can't imagine anyone designing an ATV where you have to pull the motor to do a simple valve adjustment. Some feeler gauges are straight and some have a bend in them, so one might be more useful than the other for a specific motor, depending on the space you have to work with.

Depending on how much it gets ridden you should probably have a maintenance schedule based on every X miles, X hours of riding, or a specific time like spring and fall.

If the valves start ticking, that is an indication they have not been adjusted in a while. It should never get to that point. But there is no real indication, other than that. You will gradually lose a little power as the gap opens up, but you won't notice it because it happens over time.

Any used bike someone buys should get a full go-over, just so the new owner knows what's going on with it.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 10-28-2021, 04:42 AM   #3

Most, if not all, chinese motors arrive with the valves too tight. I have yet to hear about someone saying they were correct when checked. It really should be part of the set up process but you won't find it in the "manual". That being said, your Raptor comes with a 169cc motor that's set on a forward angle that's makes the head pretty easy to get to. You shouldn't have to remove any body work. As for the adjustment, look on YouTube for a 150cc GY6. Some might show a scooter but that's fine, they're the same process. Here's an example:

2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 11-08-2021, 09:57 PM   #4

Thanks guys.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:43 AM   #5

I'm still needing to do this to my Bull 200.I thought about standing it up on it's rear end and let the back rack maybe hold it.I would have to undo the battery so it wouldn't spill out.Other than that I think you could stand it up without losing oil in the motor or the transmission.Would make it a whole lot easier to get to the valves.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #6

When I get this new AGM battery put on,I'm thinking I can just stand it on it's rear luggage rack and maybe make the valve adjustment easier.The AGM battery manufacturer says it can be mounted in any position.