Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2022, 08:26 PM   #1

TBR7 Changing Rear Sprocket Studs

I bought some Honda rear sprocket studs/bolts off a link from these forums. I don't have the specific link but it was from Partzilla and they were pricey ($25ish). I went to install them and realize two things so I have two questions:
1) I need a pair of snap/retention ring pliers that the points that go in the snap ring holes open/spread more than 1". The cheap ones you get at Harbor Freight and off of Amazon won't spread enough to get the snap ring off the rear hub to get the old rear sprocket studs off. I've search the internet and it never specifies the maximum spread of the snap ring plier's points. It's really frustrating. I sure thought it'd be a lot easier. Can someone please provide me a link to an inexpensive pair of external snap ring pliers that open up to 1.5"? 1.25" would probably do.
2) I purchased my TBR7 in October, 2021. I know looks can be deceiving but the stock rear sprocket look as good as the ones I paid $25 for but the nuts that go on them seem like your standard, cheap China type nuts. I wonder if Tao upgraded the studs.
My second questions is, should I replace the nuts with some stainless steel nuts from a hardware store or do I need to purchase some expensive Honda nuts to be safe (if so, please provide a link)?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice/links.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:44 AM   #2

Snaprings are the devil. I have a pair that was big enough, but I still had to use a pocket screwdriver to pry it up after clearing the groove.

Old 01-03-2022, 05:51 AM   #3

Auto parts stores have tools they will loan out (with a deposit). If you don't need 'em often enough to buy good set, you might try the loan route.

Personally I'd replace every nut and bolt on a China bike, as an additional safety margin.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 01-03-2022, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Auto parts stores have tools they will loan out (with a deposit). If you don't need 'em often enough to buy good set, you might try the loan route.

Personally I'd replace every nut and bolt on a China bike, as an additional safety margin.
Thanks TominMO. The loan route's a great idea.
I'm already replacing the stud bolts. Would you order the Honda nuts or get some stainless steel nuts at the hardware store?

Old 01-03-2022, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badluck View Post
Snaprings are the devil. I have a pair that was big enough, but I still had to use a pocket screwdriver to pry it up after clearing the groove.
Thanks Badluck. It feels good knowing it's not just me. That means a lot when you're an inexperienced, opposite of a mechanic like I am.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/Utoolmart-Ext...%2C429&sr=8-81

Old 01-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #7

Really, I don't know that there's enough load on those nuts to make a difference. Having said that, they are cheap and Ace hardware has them in stainless or hardened for cheap. Then use locktite with whichever nuts you use or reuse.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Tags
stud nut, tbr7 rear sprocket studs