Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2022, 08:16 PM   #1

Magician Or Hawk 250?

Ok getting tired of the FB ads and guys thinking they have a gold mine to sell, you know the type... doing you a big favor to answer questions.

I am a older person, but still like to ride. 5 ft 9 inches, 216 lbs old and slow but you never forget how to ride.... a motorcycle and I have owned them all...almost.

I know enough to stay away from FI Chinese engines because if something fails get your credit card out, because we have you. So carbs, and do not really plan off roading but I could a bit.

So is the Magician 250 or the Hawk a better fit for me? I can fix and troubleshoot but rather not. Thinking of Motobuys dot com as a vender (advertiser here) because the website is not a circus!!

Suggestions or advice asked for....thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:31 PM   #2

Hawk ,the magician has had some quality issues with the gas tanks and other things ,the Hawk is the most figured out bike we have around here ,and if you can register it there are no red flags .

Old 02-12-2022, 10:21 PM   #3

I have both a Magician and a Bashan Storm. I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam and I'm comfortable on both. The Magician I can flat foot both sides, but I can almost flat foot the Storm when I'm wearing boots. There's no way I could be comfortable on a Hawk without lowering it at least 2". The Bashans IMHO opinion have a much better build quality than the Hawk or Magician. I love my Magician, but it took quite a bit of work to get it running right.

2016 Magician 250

Old 02-13-2022, 01:34 AM   #4

I'm also 5,9 and just bought a hawk. At the dealership they had an assembled hawk and a tbr7. I had researched the hawk a little but knew nothing about the tbr7 and the wheel size seemed odd to me.(going off memory of moto cross bikes 30 years ago) in retrospect I wish I had picked the tbr7 they are almost identical except wheels and tires ( tbr7 has 50/50 hawk has knobbies) and has a free rear rack. Plus sits a little lower. I have the rear shock adjusted all the way down and the hawk still sits a little high for me.

Old 02-13-2022, 07:38 AM   #5

Whats a TBR7? You'd think by now they would have fixed the tank leaks on the Magician.

Old 02-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #6

Google Tao Tao Tbr7 or look on Youtube there are several comparisons, but there is really very little difference from a hawk , same engine, transmission, frame design. Only smaller wheels and streetable tires. At 300 miles I'm already thinking of tire shopping.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #7

I'd go for a Hawk over a Magician any day. However, if you live in one of the several states where plating a Hawk is not possible, any of the Bashan bikes (Brozz, Storm, Enforcer or whatever they're calling it now) are a good way to go. The Enforcer is equivalent to the Hawk with the same frame design, plastics, and wheel sizes but slightly better build quality and it is 49 state legal (all but CA).

The Magician's only real claim to fame is having a low seat height for a "dual sport" (ish) bike. However there have been reports of frame breakage issues and some other stuff. They have no bodywork interchangeability between any other bike to my knowledge, either, which is going to make fixing after scrapes and crashes a lot more annoying than any of the Hawk-alikes that all have mostly compatible plastics.

Old 02-13-2022, 10:59 AM   #8

I have a HAWK and a MAGICIAN. The Magician has more miles on it because I ride it on the street and I am miles from the dirt. I like both bikes but for different purposes. The HAWK off road and the Magician on the street. I have had one problem with the Magician, a loose turn signal wire in the switch I re soldered.

The MAGICIAN gets a lot of bad press but I can tell you from experience in my opinion it runs rings around the HAWK on the street. It is a blast to ride, light, quick, maneuverable, and nimble. It is a pain to work on as it is compressed into a small form factor. It is also compact in every respect controls, seat height, leg position and probably not well suited to taller or heavier riders for these issues. But it is also all these factors that make it unique and fun to ride.

As you say you will be mostly on the street, I would look for a bike that maximizes street performance and comfort. This bike has always intrigued me and every time I look it up the price is good.

https://www.shopapmc.com/New-Bashan-...ELOW_p_66.html

Old 02-13-2022, 12:48 PM   #9

So have the "new" Magicians fixed the leaking tank problems?

I know for a fact and don't laugh JB weld will hold gasoline. How? I purchased a used MC and it did not run worth a ____ took the carb apart and the PO had used JB weld to fix a leaking float? I ordered a new float and installed, job done.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:23 PM   #10

I have no knowledge of the Magician gas tank issues but you could search the Forum to find all the issues with the bike. You need to understand that most of these inexpensive Chinese bikes are likely to have quality control issues meaning problems to fix of one nature or another. What they are from one bike to the next is anyone's guess. The big issue with my Hawk was a leaking fuel tank by way of the sending unit. As you go up in price there are fewer issues.

The other BIG issue with the Magician is top speed is limited by the rear sprocket to about 55 mph and that obtained with some exhaust modifications. Consider closely what your needs are as to street riding. Many think these chinese bikes will do 65 mph all day and that is wrong in most all cases and they become unhappy when the bike does not deliver their expectations.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #11

You might also consider the CSC TT250. More money but a great bike.

2022 CSC SG400
2021 CSC TT250
2013 Suzuki TU250
1977 Kawasaki KD175
1978 Honda CT90
2023 Mitsubishi Mirage SE
2009 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS

Old 02-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1961 View Post
You might also consider the CSC TT250. More money but a great bike.

As you can see from my sig, I own 3 TT250's. I absolutely LOVE them! Yes, I paid more for them vs the Hawk, Magician, and TBR7.

Here's a short list of why I think the extra cost is worth it:
- Ease of ordering and shipping: CSC handles all the major obstacles for shipping the bikes. The process was seamless for me.

- Ease of registering and insuring: CSC provided all the paperwork I needed for the DMV. I had no problems at all getting titles, registrations, and insurance.

- Parts availability: I can get anything I need for the bikes with one phone call.
- 125 page owners and service manual. It's impressive to say the least.
- The TT250 tech tutorials and YouTube how-to videos are awesome!!
- Tech support: I can answers to any questions I have about the bikes with one phone call.

2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"

Old 02-14-2022, 03:38 PM   #13

I dunno if thyre fixing issues on newer but i have a 2020 magician and the only problem ive had is the stock carb but thats all of em. And my stock setup got to 70 clocked on gps so i dont know if i got lucky or what but ya thats a big difference from sating its limited to 55. But i agree they take more work and probably more aftermarket parts to make it run nice but now that its percet i cant tell you how many compliments i get from people that dont know its a cheap mf knock off. I went with it soley on looks. Liked the round headlight and almost cafe style in all black! My line of thinking was they are all chinese knock off made with cheaper/worse quality and you never know what thatll look like so you might as well go with the one u like the most....plus same engine as hawk except its lighter and more agile and thats something thats a must for me

Old 02-22-2022, 08:21 PM   #14

My gas tank did not have the rubbing issue they described that caused the leak. Idk if all of them are fixed or not, I was going to put a piece of rubber under it but there was no need.

Hawk is better for ease of title and registration.

the hilarious thing is that my magician is actually titled as a hawk since they didn't know what a magician was at the dmv.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:38 PM   #15

I regret not getting the TT250, as my Hawk is now adorned with many TT250 parts. Even the stock replacements I've gotten are all from CSC.

I had a lot of back and forth with the DMV in florida, eventually figuring out that in their system "HAWK" is the actual manufacturer/make of the bike. Using the factory name on the MCO got us nowhere.