Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2022, 09:14 PM   #1

Question New Peace Sports 808 (150cc Scooter) Top Speed & Max RPM Concerns

Hi, new to the forum & new to cycling & I have a new scooter.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum but I didn't see a forum specifically for scooters.

The scooter is a Peace Sports 808. Also known as a Zhejiang Riya 150T. 150 cc GY6 engine.

So after struggling with the speed of the machine I finally realized that the speedo & odo are in kilometers NOT miles. (When I bought it the dealer told me they were in miles. WRONG!)

Now that I'm riding the REAL speed limit I'm stumped. I can't get the bike to go faster than 40 mph. It runs fine, no skips or surges, no bucking or strange noises. But 40 mph is all it has. The tach claims 6000 rpm at 40 mph on a flat road.

The sales ad for the scooter claims top speed of 55 mph+. The owner's manual claims top speed of 85 kph (51 mph) but I can't get anywhere close to 50.

The scooter has 175 km (105 miles) on it currently. The owner's manual warns to keep the speed under 40 for the first 300 km. (The dealer says for the first 300 miles.) Either way 45 mph isn't a problem since I can't get it over 40. But I need it to go at least 50 to keep up with traffic on the main drag through town. I plan on sticking to the residential roads until I get to 300 km but a few that I need to travel on have 45 mph speed limits. And at only 40 I get a lot of grief from other drivers. I only weight 140 lbs so my weight shouldn't be the culprit.

Is this a matter of a speed restriction somewhere in the engine or trans? The little info I can find on the web regarding the 150cc scooters doesn't clear up the issue regarding restrictors. Some webpages claim the 150cc scooters don't have any restrictors, some claim the opposite.

Or is there a REAL problem somewhere that requires a trip back to the dealer? I'm trying to prevent a 300 mile trip back to the dealer with the scooter on my utility trailer.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:57 PM   #2

What did Peace say ?

Old 03-09-2022, 07:47 AM   #3

Check out some of oneleggedriders threads. He has done some transmission tuning that really helped out his trike. He hasn't been active on the forum in a while but I'm sure he will respond if you send him a private message. http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26819
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-09-2022, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
What did Peace say ?

Haven't attempted to contact Peace. I'm sure they'll just suggest I trailer the bike back to the dealer. I'm trying to avoid that.

I don't think whatever's wrong can be complicated. These machines aren't complicated.

I've read that the OEM CDIs have rev limiters (limited to 6000 RPM). I've also read that they don't. I've also found that the CDIs for the 50cc, 125cc, & 150cc gy6 engines are the same part. Since my bike seems to top out at 6000 RPM I'm guessing that the CDI is rev limited. But, if so, is this the likely culprit? It seems like the engine is working A-OK but I'm just not getting anywhere near the top speed of the machine. The red line on the tach is 7500 RPM. Should I expect a new CDI that allows the engine to rev to 7500 to give me another 10 - 15 mph? I tend to doubt it but I've no experience with these machines so ... who knows? That's why I posted.

I've also read that some Chinese scooters have restrictor "collars" in the variator. But I've also read that this is mostly true only for the 50cc versions. If my bike is 15 mph below its advertised top speed (and the top speed that seems common for 150cc bikes) it sure seems like the variator is limited. Or that whatever is limiting the speed is likely trans related. Again, since I've no experience with these machines I'm hoping someone else on the forum has gone through something similar on their new 150cc scooter.

Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:06 PM   #5

Slow hand, look for Ice Bear Terifecta Trike in this forum, I thoroughly covered what you need for the transmission. It'll be about $300 but it'll make a big difference.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 03-09-2022, 01:51 PM   #6

See slowhand, I told you you could revive him from the dead. oneleggedrider, really appreciate you helping out a new member. I knew If anyone knew anything about these bike, you will be the man.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-09-2022, 02:28 PM   #7

Nice to see you around onelegged ,I have been wondering where you got to .

Old 03-09-2022, 08:53 PM   #8

Thanks all. Glad to get a little love.

OneLeggedRider believes the problem lies in the trans. Given that the engine is working A-OK up to 6000 rpm this seems reasonable. Not sure if the engine maxing out at 6000 rpm is a coincidence or not but I don't think another 1000 rpms is going to give me another 10 mph. It's also possible that as the engine 'breaks in' the rpms may go up a little. Here's hoping anyway.

So now I need to understand the trans operation. I think I have a handle on how the front variable pulley assembly (aka 'variator') works but I'm clueless on the rear variable pulley assembly (aka 'clutch'). Are there any sources for how this assembly varies the pulley halves? And how the energy from the variable pulley is transmitted through the friction 'shoes' to the 'bell' & the rear gear(s) & the axle? Apparently there are springs as well as friction 'shoes' and a 'bell' but I don't see how the energy is transferred through the assembly just from an image of a clutch assembly.

Thanks all.

Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:17 PM   #9

You may not be getting on the main jet.
Take the top off the carb and check the diaphragm.
Use some gasoline resistant grease or vaseline to help seal the diaphragm to the carb.
My scoot had similar symptoms and sealing the diaphragm fixed it.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
You may not be getting on the main jet.
Take the top off the carb and check the diaphragm.
Use some gasoline resistant grease or vaseline to help seal the diaphragm to the carb.
My scoot had similar symptoms and sealing the diaphragm fixed it.
Thanks Wheelbender. I'll give it try.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #11

Yesterday I pulled the seat/storage compartment & took the top off of the carb. I didn't seen any restrictor/governor device in the slider section. I didn't see any air restrictor in the carb end of the snorkel. I opened the carb butterfly and I don't see any obvious restrictor in the intake below the carb.

I tried Wheelbender's suggestion regarding Vaseline around the slider diaphragm and put everything back together. The diaphragm looked new. I didn't find any holes or tears in the rubber anywhere. Then I took the bike for a spin. No improvement.

Now it's on to opening up the CVT case and see if I can find any obvious problems...

Old 03-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #12

I finally opened up the trans case. Took a look around for a while to orient myself and to try to understand how things work. Still a little puzzled by the clutch & power transfer to the rear wheel. I think I understand some of how it works but not entirely.

Anyway... Found no obvious problems. The belt looks OK as far as I can tell. Couldn't find any glazing or tears or anything obvious. I don't see any 'high water' marks on the pulley plates on either variator. I tried to look in between the front variator plates for a restrictor but its hard to see the drive shaft with the belt in the way. I stuck my fingers down in between the plates and tried to feel for a restriction collar but didn't detect any. So I don't think there's a restrictor down in there.

There isn't a ton of dust from a slipping clutch. The inside of the case and entire trans area seems new and clean. Just like I expected. So if the clutch is slipping any it's not generating a lot of dust yet.

Since the rear wheel was off the ground I gave it a few spins forward and backwards to see if it was binding. It seems to rotate freely. Not as free as a bicycle wheel but I expected a little resistance and it seems to have just a bit. I don't think it's anything unusual.

While I was at it I put the front wheel off the ground and gave it a few spins as well. It also spins as I expected it to. A little resistance but nothing unusual.

So I think I've gone as far as I can without taking things apart and replacing items randomly. Not so much a plans as the lack of one. Not even sure where to start. So at this point I think the best option is to trailer the bike back to where I bought it and let their service team take a crack at it. Not thrilled with the idea of trailering the bike again but it seems the least risky solution.

Old 07-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #13

Back to square 1. I've had the bike back to the dealer several times over the last several months to work out the top speed problem. The carb was replaced a few months ago and that improved the top speed to ~45 mph. He's had the bike the last 5 weeks and accomplished nothing. He claims he checked lots of things but can't find anything wrong. It just goes as fast as it goes. Right now it's top speed is only 45 mph, according to the speedo on the bike. He claims he used some app and it reported that the bike was really only going 40 mph. Not sure which is less accurate. So I'm still stumped.

Without any other ideas I guess I'll have to try the trans mods from oneleggedrider. Given that the engine does seem to be working a-ok the trans seems like the most obvious problem to attack. The poor fuel mileage could be either engine or trans or both. I suspect that whatever the problem is the mileage should also improve a bunch if I can figure out the top speed problem. The average MPG is now at 59. This seems horrible for a 150cc engine.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:37 PM   #14

Have you checked the spark plug color to see if it's running rich or lean? If you're only getting 6000 RPM there is a problem.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #15

One question I must ask, no offense intended, but -- how much do you weigh? I ask because not long ago a neighbor bought a Chinese scooter alleged to have a top speed of 55. He could only get it to 40 or so and asked me to try it. I had no problem getting it up to 50+ -- but then, I only weigh 210. My neighbor outweighs me by a good 100 lbs., and there's only so much maybe 8 HP can do...