Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2022, 05:59 PM   #1

Admittedly, I know nothing...

Hey all,

New (older: later 40's) guy from Oregon here. I am thinking of of buying an amazon bike and in researching I found this forum. So I know I have a lot to learn. I used to have a dirtbike back in the 80's, and illegally (not licensed) rode a couple street bikes through my 20's, but now my 12 year old is getting interested in getting a dirtbike. I don't want to spend a ton for something that might be a whim for him, so here I am thinking this could be a dual purpose purchase.

Goals:
  • Get a bike for myself and my son to use offroad, nothing serious just trail riding and having fun.
  • Get a bike that is street legal enough to register, and take basic riders course for both myself and my son, when he's old enough of course.
In looking, I came across the X-Pro Hawk DLX 250 EFI on Amazon. It looks like it has working signals and should be street legal, but I guess searching that area of the forums will tell me. I have watched about 5 hours of videos on this bike, and I think for what it is, it will should meet my goals.

If I am way off base on thinking this bike would meet those goals listed above, please let me know.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #2

Your situation mirrored mine a couple years back.. since then very happy with my Titan DLX and my 14 yo son riding my Brozz 250. You will not be sorry especially for the money spent and fun to be had at a fraction of the price of a new DS from one of the Big 4 or other makes..search under my handle and you'll find a full write up on the Titan DLX as well as Brozz 250

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 04-07-2022, 09:17 AM   #3

I think you're right on with your thinking. The hawk is a good basic bike. you should expect put an additional 200 or so into them to get them "right". there's lots of info here on that. primarily, a good carb with proper jetting, and then changing fork fluid and oil. There's a few other basic tidbits like air filter and maybe sprockets depending on street or trail, but you don't have to go crazy upgrading. it'll be good with just a few things. do a little searching on our site or post questions. we're all glad to help and you won't get flamed. we understand people new to these bikes have a bit of apprehension and questions.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #4

OK, so after a little more research and also researching our local laws for OHV use, it looks like I might be buying 2 bikes. For my son to pass the Oregon ATV Safety course, which is required for us to ride anywhere but private property, the bike needs to fit him just right, so I am now looking at the Viper 150 for him and the Hawk 250 DLX for myself...

This fun father/son purchase just got a lot more expensive, lol. But I can't turn back now he is excited and he and I are almost done the online permit course, so I need to order him a bike soon as he only has 180 days from completion of the online course to practice/learn to ride before taking the under 16 hands on safety course.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:39 AM   #5

Welcome. I realize it is more expensive, but I think two bikes is the best way to go. Your son will learn a lot more when you are riding along with him, and vice-versa.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #6

Might as well get two. You're gonna want one too after. lol The dealer might give you a discount if buying two.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-08-2022, 08:53 AM   #7

Oregon is a great state for off road riding. There are many fantastic OHV trail systems as well as forest service and BLM roads. Be sure to get the Avenza app for your phone and download the relevant maps of OHV areas and forest service MVUMs (motor vehicle use maps), all free. I'm in Bend and have been riding FS roads and trails around here for 37 years.

Old 04-08-2022, 02:40 PM   #8

I am in love with my xpro hawk 250. I ordered it from Amazon. I think when my daughter gets back from Iraq I may buy her the Xpect. smaller engine but its EFI, lower seat hight. Now I'm not anything but ignorant myself but managed to change out the carburetor, which you wont have to do with ab EFI bike. So do some research. But my hawk reminds me of the Honda 250xl I rode as a 13 year old and I like it!

Old 04-10-2022, 08:46 PM   #9

I just bought the x-pro x24. Great Bike!