Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #1

Pre-Purchase Carburetor Advice

Thinking about a 250cc (I know, really 229cc) China Bike. I don't want EFI as I prefer the simplicity of a carburetor, but I wonder about the standard carb that comes on these bikes. I see that Venom offers the upgrade to a Mikuni or a Nibbi.

Mikuni strikes me as being a well-respected name, where Nibbi is a brand that I am not familiar with. I believe both of them use a "cold start enrichener" system as opposed to a butterfly choke, which I think I would like. I've seen the Mikuni carb on an old British bike, and it cold-started almost instantaneously!

Anyway, what is the opinion of the folks here with regards to stock, Mikuni, or Nibbi?

Old 07-18-2022, 08:20 AM   #2

Mikuni is a very well made, and respected Japanese carb. Usually stock on Japanese bikes, if they don't have a Keihin installed.

Nibbi is a well made, and respected Chinese/ Taiwanese carb, and is typically an upgrade for China bikes. I have a Nibbi PE26 on my Apollo Z20. I never had a problem getting my bike to start after starting it, until I took it up to Kentucky (sea level difference between Bowling Green and Savannah made for a very unhappy bike).

But, There are two very different Nibbis. The dark colored ones are their high end units with much better QC. I have one if their natural colored PE26s, and the QC isn't nearly as good. The cap for the throttle slide doesn't quite sit correctly, and a few external things aren't great. But internally, it's just as good as the painted ones.

For your engine, I'd look at the PWK series of carbs. I'm actually going to be purchasing one for my SSR SR250, as the previous owner bought a PWK38 for it, and that's too big, which is why the bike isn't running in the first place.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #3

Depending on the Bike you get of course but the Brozz comes with a Genuine Keihin carb already on it. And some people have had good luck keeping the Carb that comes on their bike, with just jetting it properly. There are China Bike upgrade kits on ebay to rejet the stock carb. The stock carb has some weird screws in the float bowl, you have to take a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut a slot for a screw diriver to get the screws out. But the upgrade / jet kits come with new screws. These kits have, jets, valve cover gasket, and Front sprocket. Motocheez on youtube has videos on how to do all this. Good luck on your purchase

Old 07-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #4

I'll just point out this -- although carburetor upgrades, gearing changes, etc. are sometimes needed, and may, indeed, increase performance in some cases if done correctly -- it is not at all unusual for cheap Chinese bikes to be pretty much satisfactory as they are. My DF 250RTG is an example -- other than replacing some sub-par fasteners, the spark plug, and the primitively-made lightbulbs it has been perfectly satisfactory. (Replacing that spark plug is like adding a supercharger.) Of course, I didn't expect anything but some reliable, economical transportation that could also provide a bit of fun, and not some monster performance machine.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:07 AM   #5

Hello i have a TBR7 running just fine stock carburetor with just rejettting